Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Dealing with storage issues and a growing library.

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Dealing with storage issues and a growing library.

whiskey tango wrote:
Currently I'm on an i3 iMac 3.2 with 16GB of RAM (mid 2010 model). It has a 1TB HD that's almost slap full. I use Aperture 3 for my photo management software and over 700BG of my HD space is my A3 library. About a year or so ago I moved my library off of an external hard drive onto my main hard drive because the USB 2.0 transfer speed for editing photos was horrible. Additionally, I found that accessing the external hard drive was murdering RAM.

I also have an i7 MBP with a 500GB HD and 8GB RAM.
...Show more

a few points:

if your going down the TB screen for the MBP then dont bother with the TB hard drive . Your MBP will have USB3 which is more than fast enough for images and way cheaper.
My Current model Imac has a couple of USB3 bus powered drives attatched and its more than upto the job.

If your HD is full and dont want to use USB2 for images . is a tad silly in my view . why not have the images you use most (ie the good ones and the current ones) on your hard drive and the other less used stuff on your USB2 drives ?
its a very cheap way to work with what you have

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:47 AM
whiskey tango
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Dealing with storage issues and a growing library.

I'm trying to keep my library in one location but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible. I guess I could break it down to a 2010, 2011, etc...

My iMac only has a FW800 as it's an older i3 machine. It really does what I need, I'm just running out of room. Right now I'm considering a FW800 external storage to test to see how the responsiveness is when editing from a library that's stored on that external drive. Seems like an easy way to dip my toes into the water without to much of an investment when what I've got is working plenty fine for me now. As I think about things, I really like having two computers. When I'm loading to an FTP, or rendering a file, it's nice to be able to turn to another computer that's not in use and respond to emails, surf the web, etc...

Oct 27, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Dealing with storage issues and a growing library.

Yep to be honest id just get the drive

I can see the desire to keep all your images in one location but that does become more difficult as your library gets bigger .

The way I'm working on my imac with its 1 tb internal drive is :

(I'm a Lightroom user but I'm sure you can run aperture in much the same way .)

I've got 2 external (2tb) drives . 1 is my image drive and the other is my time machine drive .
My image drive has everything on it upto the last couple of months shoots .
My internal drive has the most recent images that still need to be sorted/rated/pp'd etc .

It works for me and while I'm now using usb3 (have considered thunderbolt but I'm not paying that price!) I did also run in muh the same way on my old PC which I only had usb2 as an option and never really found the speed to be a huge issue when veiwng and working with images . Although moving large folders around between drives was much slower and this is where the move to faste usb3 has been most welcome

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Dealing with storage issues and a growing library.

whiskey tango wrote:
I'm trying to keep my library in one location but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible. I guess I could break it down to a 2010, 2011, etc...

My iMac only has a FW800 as it's an older i3 machine. It really does what I need, I'm just running out of room. Right now I'm considering a FW800 external storage to test to see how the responsiveness is when editing from a library that's stored on that external drive. Seems like an easy way to dip my toes into the water without to much of an
...Show more

Buy a 7200RPM FW800 drive and it is likely it will be faster than the internal drive in your i3 iMac (stock drive is probably on the slow side). The only place it might fall down a bit is if you have Power Saver set to "spin down HD whenever possible." The spin up lag can try your patience, especially with multiple external drives as they spin up one at a time in sequence.

As for USB2, copying large amounts of data is slow but editing single RAW files is okay and FW800 is only a little faster.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.