Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

John Power
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Is one better than the other?

Oct 09, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Of course. But then it depends what you are looking for.

They are totally different programs aimed at a different audience.

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:46 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Yes, LR5 is 'better' (for photographers) than Elements in that it is a total, integrated program. From importing, cataloging, processing, and exporting, LR does it all.

Elements 11 is aimed at consumer point and shoot or smartphone users who want to add cheesy effects, borders, or organise images into folders for sharing online with family and friends.

They are different creatures.

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:00 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Paul Mo wrote:
Yes, LR5 is 'better' (for photographers) than Elements in that it is a total, integrated program. From importing, cataloging, processing, and exporting, LR does it all.

Elements 11 is aimed at consumer point and shoot or smartphone users who want to add cheesy effects, borders, or organise images into folders for sharing online with family and friends.

They are different creatures.

To certain extent your correct , but Elements is also 95% of what full blown Phototoshop is capable of .

That said I much prefer LR anyway .

Oct 09, 2013 at 09:44 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

John Power wrote:
Is one better than the other?

John as your title is RAW EDITOR , do you mean is one better as a raw editor/convertor that the other?

I've not looked at elements for a while so can't think what version of ACR its running, but if its the most recent then in theory there should be little or no difference in the conversions .

As editors though , as I said above elements is nearly proper photoshop while LR is not . But LR is a great photographers tool that most of the time will do all you really need to do to an image .

By the way the latest Elements is ELEMENTS 12 now . You can download a trial from adobe (as you can with LR)

Oct 09, 2013 at 09:49 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Yes. My question related to the RAW editor only. I am aware of the program differences.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Does Elements do 16-bit editing or just 8-bit ?

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cherubino
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Photoshop Elements 11 has more editing functions than LR. Elements 11 has layers which LR does not have and other very useful editing functions. It is not just for point and shoot users. It has most of the important functions of full Photoshop except curves which can be had as a plugin. It is 8 bit only.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

John, it seems lots of posters are trying to be helpful but either have not used Elements or have no idea what you want to know. Your question is somewhat vague.

I believe you are asking about the raw converter which is called ACR, Adobe Camera Raw. This conversion engine is the same for Lightroom, Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Elements is not 8-bit only. The Elements ACR has a toggle selection at the bottom of the screen which allows the user to select 8-bit or 16-bit.

Paul Mo, I think you should take a look at Elements before you make silly statements about who uses it and what it can do. Many serious photographers are using Lr for almost all of their processing. Elements would be a great supplement for those who are more casual Photoshop users. Elements has a few tools which are missing or dumbed down but otherwise as stated provides about 95% of the capability of the full Photoshop versions. With the high cost of the Photoshop subscriptions, Elements is a very viable alternative.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Camperjim wrote:
Elements is a very viable alternative.

I agree.

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Camperjim wrote:
John, it seems lots of posters are trying to be helpful but either have not used Elements or have no idea what you want to know. Your question is somewhat vague.

I believe you are asking about the raw converter which is called ACR, Adobe Camera Raw. This conversion engine is the same for Lightroom, Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Elements is not 8-bit only. The Elements ACR has a toggle selection at the bottom of the screen which allows the user to select 8-bit or 16-bit.

Paul Mo, I think you should take a look at Elements before you make silly
...Show more

+1

Oct 18, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Willico

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

I switched from PSE8 to LR3 some years ago because the raw support in LR was much more complete, and I think that is still the case. The following link to another forum, which is more current, may provide the information you're looking for.

http://nikonites.com/computers-software/12011-tim-grey-processng-raw-elements-vs-lightroom.html#axzz2i5Qodunt

Oct 18, 2013 at 03:13 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RAW editor LR5 vs PS Elements 11

Lightroom is much more comprehensive than Photoshop Elements for processing raw files. The version of Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop Elements has a reduced feature set (some may call it crippled). In Elements, the only ACR tabs/modules available are the Basic, Detail (Noise Reduction and Sharpening), and Camera Calibration.

By comparison, Lightroom and the full-blown version of ACR in Bridge/Photoshop has Basic, Tone Curve, Detail, HSL/Greyscale, Split Toning, Lens Correction, Effects (Grain and Vignetting), Camera Calibration, Presets, and Snapshots modules.

Some of the missing functions can be done in Elements' Editor but ideally you will want to make as many adjustments/corrections as possible BEFORE the raw file is converted to a rasterized format (TIFF, JPEG, PSD, etc).

Also, if you have multiple raw files opened in the Elements version of ACR you cannot sync subset(s) of adjustments (e.g. White Balance only or Sharpening only) like you can in Lightroom or the full version of ACR. You can select all the open raw files but the adjustments made to one will be applied to all the files.

Perhaps this will now change with the regular updates of the "Cloud" versions of Photoshop but traditionally - since new versions of Elements are released yearly - Adobe usually tested new features in Elements first before including them in Photoshop. Many features like the Quick Selection Tool and the Spot Healing Brushes were available in Elements before the full version of Photoshop.

Where Elements shines is in its ability to edit rasterized file formats; the Selections tools are much more robust than those in Lightroom/ACR. Elements also has at least 80 percent of the features of the full version of Photoshop and most of the missing functions can be added via addons; see Elements XXL for example.

Oct 19, 2013 at 09:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password