Archive 2013 · Advice with buying a monopod

StanOPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice with buying a monopod

I am in need of a monopod that better meets my needs. Here is my criteria:

– Capable of holding a 400 f/2.8L IS.
– Must have twist locks.
– Must be tall enough to accommodate me at 6'7".
– I would prefer carbon fiber, but it's not mandatory.
– I will also use it to boom a wide angle remote for sports and a softbox for wedding portraits.

I usually shoot field sports from my knees, so the height isn't a huge factor, but when covering baseball from the pits or auto sports, I have to stand. I am tired of hunching over to look through the frame, and I am tired of the clunky clasps lock system of the cheap Manfrotto I have been using (was a newsroom gift).

Ideally, I'd like to spend between $200-275 if the monopod meets all of my needs. Something on the less expensive side would be great.

Do you know of any monopods that meet all of these criteria? What are you using and how do you like it? Please let me hear your thoughts, share photos, and links.

Oct 08, 2013 at 02:57 PM
David Kirsch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice with buying a monopod

Stan, check out the Feisol line. They have one that extends to something like 81", but I think that includes a tripod-like bottom section. I have an older Feisol carbon fiber monopod that I like a lot. I'm in san jose and I'd be happy to show it to you. PM me if you want.

David

Oct 08, 2013 at 04:20 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice with buying a monopod

While we are on the topic of monopods, I've been meaning to ask about the one Canon offers here. It looks relatively sturdy for relatively cheap. So is it actually any good? Or should I just go for a manfrotto one?

Oct 08, 2013 at 06:21 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice with buying a monopod

I have a Feisol 1471 Rapid (twist locks) that is carbon fiber and works really well. I generally shoot with a D4 and 300 or 400 2.8 and it is plenty sturdy - its bigger around than my Gitzo series 3 but not as big as the series 5s I have seen. Fully extended it comes up to eye level for me without a head or camera on it (I am 5'10"). So perhaps it might a couple inches short for you if you are standing.

Oct 08, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice with buying a monopod

gome1122 wrote:
While we are on the topic of monopods, I've been meaning to ask about the one Canon offers here. It looks relatively sturdy for relatively cheap. So is it actually any good? Or should I just go for a manfrotto one?

It's not bad for the money, light and robust enough, but in my opinion not having a QR system is a major drag.

Oct 08, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice with buying a monopod

I like the Manfrotto # 334B with it's automatic up/down ability.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice with buying a monopod

+1 for the Feisol 1471 Rapid. I have a Kirk monopod head on mine and use it with my OLD (did I mention old? ) 300 2.8 non-IS, and at 6'3'' I have more than I need in height.

Paul

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice with buying a monopod

am i the only one here that doesn't shoot field sports standing up?

Oct 10, 2013 at 06:30 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice with buying a monopod

from the OP:

I usually shoot field sports from my knees, so the height isn't a huge factor, but when covering baseball from the pits or auto sports, I have to stand.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:08 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice with buying a monopod

rolette wrote:
from the OP:

YUP, MY BAD......guess that's what happens when you read this internet thing as soon as you wake up.

Anyways, my suggestion is to take your camera and lens with you to a store and try out everything you can.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:49 AM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice with buying a monopod

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate all of the recommendations. I haven't purchased anything yet because I'm saving up just a while longer for a nicer (and tall) Gitzo.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.