Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

markymarc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

Can anyone recommend a cold shoe for the 600? The Frio v2 still has problems with the weather sealing, etc. Does everyone just use the included plastic stand?

Thanks!

Oct 08, 2013 at 04:08 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

Although my off-camera shoe cords are weather sealed, I've never seen a sealed cold shoe.

I've never worried about weather sealing on a cold shoe, since there's no communication between a camera and the Speedlite to be affected by moisture, although I suppose if the Speedlite's foot isn't facing down, some water could get inside the foot in a downpour.

If I were shooting with my current gear in those conditions I'd just put a clear plastic bag over the flash, the cold shoe, and the end of the light stand.

Edited on Oct 09, 2013 at 07:32 PM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2013 at 06:34 AM
markymarc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

I was referring to the weather sealing on the 600--not the cold shoe My bad. I ended up ordering a Vello Cold Shoe. I will report how it works with the 600.

Thanks!

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:50 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

Still not following: do you mean trouble with the weather sealing not working, or do you mean trouble with the weather sealing getting in the way or something?

In any event, I use cold shoes from Manfrotto, Westcott, and Lastolite with my 430EX II, 580EX, 580EX II, and Vivitar 285HV without problems, so I assume they'd work with the 600EX-RT as well.

Oct 09, 2013 at 04:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

markymarc
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

The 600 now has weather sealing on its foot and it gets in the way of cold shoes like the Frio. You can slide it on but it can be a real beast to slide it off. Some folks have taken off the weather sealing so as not to deal with it. I had to get a new Sto-fen diffuser too.

M

Oct 09, 2013 at 06:55 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

markymarc wrote:
The 600 now has weather sealing on its foot and it gets in the way of cold shoes like the Frio.

Yeah, the 430EX II and 580EX II have the same kind of seal. When the 580EX II first came out there were problems caused by it preventing good fit in the camera's hot shoe and thus the pins not always lining up. People resorted to using razor blades and Exacto knives to trim the seals. Canon eventually changed the pin shapes (and maybe the seal design) and those problems seem to have gone away.

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:38 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

markymarc wrote:
...I ended up ordering a Vello Cold Shoe.

Which kind did you get? (See photo below.)

I use the simple metal style (although not the Vello brand) and they've always worked fine; I'm just careful not to turn the screw too tight as it can crush plastic feet. I just tighten it a little, and then use the Speedlite's locking lever for the final lock.

Manfrotto sells a style similar to the Vello CS-20, but I've never used it.

markymarc wrote:
...I will report how it works with the 600.

Please do; I'm always interested in these kinds of reports.

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:54 PM
markymarc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cold Shoe Recommendation for 600RT-EX

The Vello on the left works like a charm with my 600RT-EX! Recommended for sure!

Oct 14, 2013 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password