Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Reason why Nikons LV is so bad compared to Canon?

scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Reason why Nikons LV is so bad compared to Canon?

My D800 liveview was not very good. My D300s is much more responsive. It just comes with the territory, not every feature is the same for every manufacturer, and we would not benefit it they were all identical, we'd only need one brand.

Update: I tried to use it for my product photography in my studio today to replace my old Canon 40D. I tether it to my pc and 24 inch monitor.

It was pretty miserable, slow response, and a low resolution display that makes it difficult to see if I have critical focus. The display looks fuzzy, Images are as sharp as a tack when captured, its just the liveview implementation.

Its disappointing, since I was hoping to replace my 40D. However, if I can't get it working better, I'll not be using it for liveview in that application.

I was using the free digicam control software that is based on the Nikon SDK, I may download the Nikon version as well as the Breeze version and give it a try before giving up.

Oct 11, 2013 at 01:50 AM
JustinPoe
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Reason why Nikons LV is so bad compared to Canon?

People that haven't used live view from any of the Canon bodies will probably want to say you're trolling, when in fact, your question is completely warranted.
Compared to my old 5D3, my D800's live view is horrendous. Fred Miranda did a good write-up on both cameras and mentions this. However, even though the 5D3 has such a better live view, I would still never trade it back for my D800.

Why is Nikon's LV so bad compared to Canon? Why is Canon's DR so bad compared to Nikon?

All technical stuff aside, the companies just decided to focus on different aspects of the cameras.

Oct 14, 2013 at 02:29 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Reason why Nikons LV is so bad compared to Canon?

sjms wrote:
you all make me so happy I don't take live view seriously.

If it was properly implemented then LV could be taken seriously, especially with a camera such as the D800 which seems to out-resolve the viewfinder and even more especially in poor light.

The bozo at Nikon who forced that upon us ought to be sacked and then shot. That way he wouldn't count as a lost time accident

I'm sure that it could be fixed easily enough with a suitable firmware update but we are very unlikely to ever see one. In that regard Canon is certainly no better.

- Alan

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password