New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Night Shot

Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night Shot

Opinions on this image re: processing and any other comments all appreciated. You can be honest

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night Shot

I think the explosure, composition and processing are good. I guess there is a story here, but I don't seem to see or feel it.

Oct 08, 2013 at 06:52 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night Shot

Micro-nit alert

I like the image, but there are some things that catch my attention. It's not that I don't like them, they just leave me a bit @ hmmm, not sure what to think of them.

Diggin' the subject matter and comp. Using the lamppost as a pseudo letter "L" is kinda cool, and I REALLY dig the craftsmanship at the alignment (i.e. not happenstance). It almost strikes me as "too perfectly aligned" (yeah, I know like that makes any sense) for some odd reason. Maybe it's the juxtaposition of the shiny new lamppost with the old worn brick/paint that's throwing me off a bit. Again, nothing bad or wrong, just catching my attention @ hmmm.

I think the line work here is excellent. Diggin' the paint line parallel to the lamp post and the bottom paint leading to the base of the lamppost. The lines, tonal values and mass move us around the frame in one of those paths that can loop/transit perpetually. The words and paint provide a conduit left-right, while the logo and lamp itself provide some up-down. It is an image that is very easy to move around in, rest, linger, then move on and criss-cross or come back to an area for deeper exploration ... i.e. much goodness.

The thing that probably is most hmmm for me is the color of the light. Going back to "What's the point?" / "What's the message that you want to convey to your viewer?" will likely hold the answer for me regarding the light color as to whether it is excellence or a nit.

It looks like the lamp color is much cooler (i.e. neutral vs. warm) than a nearby sodium vapor lamp. It looks like the lamp has a color that is very different from that of the light illuminating portions of the wall. It seems as though there is a gradient/falloff/transition from one color (lamp in image) of lighting to a different color of lighting (lamp not seen). It looks to go from neutral to warm as we move away from the lamp. Because of that, it has an "unnatural" disconnect/incongruence between the lamp color and the majority of the wall color from what we are conditioned toward. I expect it is indeed technically correct WB for the lamp, but in the mixed lighting, it becomes a matter of how you want to present your source(s).

Part of me is diggin' this a lot in association with the juxtaposition of the new vs. old ... yet it somehow is still a bit peculiar to look at. Again, not bad or wrong, just catches me @ hmmm. As I think about it more juxtapositon, I warm up to it more. So, from that I'd ask the question @ "message" ... is it intended to generate an "old time" vibe, or it is intended to illustrate the juxtaposition of old/new?

If you're looking for the "old" vibe overall, I might consider some toning to bridge the diff in color balance. If you are presenting the juxtaposition of the new vs. old ... it is actually pretty sweet @ sublime component. "Sodium vapor" color of light showing up in the logo (and highlight reflecting off the lamppost) can be a bit of a mental mismatch to the light we see in the image, until we think it through. Imo, likely most folks won't think that much to understand it, they'll just go visceral @ like/don't like without really figuring out why.

Again, just things @ hmmmm. Personally, I'm diggin' the light color transition, but something that may not be readily appreciated as a juxtaposition by those expecting an "old time vibe" that you are so adept at. All that being said, I expect most folks would prefer an overall warm tone transitioning from warm to warmer rather than the transitioning from neutral to warm.

Anyway, I'm diggin' it, but likely for reasons different from most folks, as it took me a while to appreciate the juxtaposition vs. the initially perceived incongruity. Curious @ a "Barbara-esque" rendering with an overall warm toning.

Oct 08, 2013 at 07:15 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night Shot

Thanks Gentlemen for the opinion.

Camperjim, I agree with the image lacking a story. The real story of the image has more to do with me testing a new camera than anything.

Kent, your critique is right on and like mentioned above it could use a player in the picture but I was mostly taking test shots, handheld. I like the picture overall but yes I agree there is something missing. I have a different version which I have posted but uses heavier handed processing.

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:37 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night Shot

Your first crop works better for me showing a more complete rendering of the sign, especially with the illustration of the child within the circle. I like the old time feel of what you've captured. In NYC where I live, many people are protective of old signs like this on the sides of buildings, reminding us of a bygone era. In certain cases, these old signs have been spruced up to restore and protect them.
I agree with others that there is not a strong message here, although I like very much what you've captured. In a case like this, sometimes what I'll do is stake out the location from across the street, waiting for something interesting to pass to include in the photo. Maybe a child or teen passing in jeans or overalls, or a man or woman in hip modern dress to contrast with these old fashioned jeans, or... In street photography, sometimes wonderful things happen totally by happenstance.

Oct 08, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Night Shot

Thanks eeneryma. I like the area as it's a national Historic Town in our area. It has many interesting things to photograph.

Oct 09, 2013 at 01:44 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Night Shot

Something odd about the shape of the lamp head. Perhaps a few wee tweaks?

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:35 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Night Shot

Karen, probably due to the upward angle while taking the image. You're correction looks good.

Oct 09, 2013 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.