Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF?

warrenjrphotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF?

zhangyue wrote:
Manual focus require more brain work, and there is many trick/freedom to use which is not the case with AF lens. Once you get use to manual focus chasing kids, you will feel the limitation of AF once switched, vice versa...
They both have their merit to each own. But no question Manual focus is more fun...

This times 10.

Using all manual settings allows more freedom when shooting and using manual focus a long with manual focus lenses adds to this factor as it forces you to think about which aperture you're using, why you're using that aperture, what you are setting your focal point to and why, and you're not limited to *the box* (what I like to call the traditional DSLR AF points built into every modern DSLR) so you don't have to worry about focus and recomposing or even cropping, or missing focus or begin unable to lock onto focus because of your cameras automatic AF system.

Using strictly manual focus also allows you to practice your manual focus setting skills allowing you to outperform even the best AF systems out there.

Just think about it, I know of no system that can AF through cloth covering your lens or situations where there is a lack of contrast. With some practice using manual focus you will be able to nail all of your shots without relying on the camera system itself. This is why I personally love using all manual settings. It puts me at full control and is comparable to using a stick shift vs an automatic transmission.

With that being said, I decided to go with a 5Dc, the EE-S precision focusing screen, and a trio of primes that are top notch from what I've seen/read yet are very, very inexpensive.

The thing that I love about these manual focus lenses is that they also have a very distinct look/quality to them and some of the older primes even top some of the newer ones in speed a long with image quality.

Oct 14, 2013 at 06:32 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF?

The gearbox in motor vehicles is a fallacious analogy. The better auto gearboxes not only shift seamlessly, they can be taught to learn the driver's preferences. Like using an EVF in manual focusing, electronics are evolutionising gear changing for the better, whatever your prejudices and lying eyes are telling you.

You should prefer a manual g/box if you wish to be slower however, as seamless means no interruption of fuel flow, nor time wasted by 'working the controls'. It's so good many are trying to ban it, like traction control and four wheel drive in motor racing. Maybe we can get rid of rev limiters too?

Here is a short and current primer on seamless shift gearbox (SSG) in a most demanding field - Moto GP:

http://www.motorbiketimes.com/feature/sport/motogp/seamless-shift-gearbox-a-motogp-game-changer-for-honda-and-yamaha--$21382559.htm

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:36 PM
warrenjrphotog
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF?

philip_pj wrote:
The gearbox in motor vehicles is a fallacious analogy. The better auto gearboxes not only shift seamlessly, they can be taught to learn the driver's preferences. Like using an EVF in manual focusing, electronics are evolutionising gear changing for the better, whatever your prejudices and lying eyes are telling you.

You should prefer a manual g/box if you wish to be slower however, as seamless means no interruption of fuel flow, nor time wasted by 'working the controls'. It's so good many are trying to ban it, like traction control and four wheel drive in motor racing. Maybe we
...Show more

Compare a 2005 stick shift to a 2005 auto and most would prefer the manual transmission over the automatic transmissions. A lot of people also prefer older cars/trucks as well and we're comparing older systems in this thread (hence why we're talking about auto focus).

Watch all of the fast & furious movies, they all use stick shifts as it gives the driver more control. Sure, automatic transmissions might be making progress but the newer cars are also slower and much more expensive (just like how the newer cameras are much more expensive but don't offer much benefit over the older cameras).

You're going way off topic by the way , but you get my point. I prefer the older systems and manual as it forces you to think. I don't like automatic mode anything.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF?

philip_pj wrote:
You should prefer a manual g/box if you wish to be slower however .....

Completely OT but a quickie ...... no car is faster using auto than manual, every 0-60mph (0-100kph) figure out there tells you that

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.