Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Under the Stars - State Park Submission

JustinPoe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

I was chosen to have my work displayed at Antelope Island State Park here in Utah. I'm getting together some of my images together and re-working some of them.

Let me know your thoughts on this image, I wanted a surreal look. I've been staring at my computer for too long so I'm taking a quick break before I proceed with any more editing.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:29 AM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #2 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

Beautiful

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:00 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

First most, this is a beautiful image.

The only part that I think is 'surreal' to me is the color balance. If this is the color you are going for, then leave it alone. I tend to aim for a more 'realistic' color balance but that's just my taste.

I like it the way it is.
I would like it with less magenta.
I would like it with green eggs and ham.

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:14 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

Sweet shot dude, I love the mood!

Other then what dgdg said, I might play around with the cloud and star opacity. The clouds look ghostlike (especially the upper left area) and a lot of extra stars are showing through them. I think if you wanted to keep the star showing, it would be more realistic to render them more diffused or add a glow to them . Since the clouds don't look like they were captured with a super long exposure, I would probably erase all the stars that overlap and increase the cloud opacity.

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:22 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

dgdg wrote:
First most, this is a beautiful image.

The only part that I think is 'surreal' to me is the color balance. If this is the color you are going for, then leave it alone. I tend to aim for a more 'realistic' color balance but that's just my taste.

I like it the way it is.
I would like it with less magenta.
I would like it with green eggs and ham.

a little less magenta for me also

Oct 08, 2013 at 09:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

Justin Grimm wrote:
Sweet shot dude, I love the mood!

Other then what dgdg said, I might play around with the cloud and star opacity. The clouds look ghostlike (especially the upper left area) and a lot of extra stars are showing through them. I think if you wanted to keep the star showing, it would be more realistic to render them more diffused or add a glow to them . Since the clouds don't look like they were captured with a super long exposure, I would probably erase all the stars that overlap and increase the cloud opacity.

and there is just too many to be believable as well as out of focus

Oct 08, 2013 at 03:13 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #7 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

I like this a lot Justin. I don't even mind the strong color cast. The only thing I would think about changing is what others have pointed out, there are a bit too many stars showing through the upper clouds, I would either tone them down a bit or mask them out completely.

Oct 08, 2013 at 04:32 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #8 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

I'm guessing you added magenta to get that surreal look - however my brain is telling me too much magenta and clouds should block out stars. It is however a pretty composition.
Dave

Oct 08, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Nori
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

Beautiful image, surreal but nice

Oct 08, 2013 at 05:03 PM
JustinPoe
• •
p.1 #10 · Under the Stars - State Park Submission

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Exactly what I was looking for. I actually scrapped this photo though, it just wasn't doing anything for me. I might re-visit one day to get exactly what I'm looking for.

Oct 09, 2013 at 01:42 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password