Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Steve Perry
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Sal Baker wrote:
Probably the first part of November. Last year the ipf6400 was only around $1,800 with rebates and discounts in November through the end of December. Prices have never been so low since.

Sal

Thanks - I think I'll try to wait a couple weeks before I order then, I just hope I don't get too backlogged.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Steve Perry wrote:
For $3500, I'm assuming you're thinking about a 24" printer. I just threw out a two year old Epson 7900 - it's literally in my dumpster behind my office. Print head failed, needed replaced, long story short, it's almost the same cost of a new printer to replace it. The printer was a disaster from day one - constant clogging, always needed to run a nozzle check and clean before any print job.

Heck, - even in the middle of large multi-print jobs I'd run into clogs on a regular basis! I'd print a few 16x24s - no problem
...Show more

Every Epson consumer printer I ever owned, exhibited the same problem. If you didn't print regularly the head would get clogged up and you could spend enormous amounts ink to no avail. I'll never buy an Epson again.

I bought an HP Z3100 APS 44" at a great price in 2007. I've only ever replaced 1 printhead, and that was after the first 3 months. The print heads for the Z3x00 series printers are dirt cheap compared to Canon.

I keep the printer plugged in to power, and it wakes up every day and squirts a tiny bit of ink through the heads to prevent clogging and I've never had a clog, ever.

I've had to move it from an office to a house, after it had been assembled - awkward but it can be done without having to go to extraordinary lengths.

The large 130ml ink cartridges makes printing inexpensive, and I like the immediate results and the degree of control this particular printer gives.

My only complaint is a goofy print driver. I print using Qimage and it makes everything a breeze.

Oct 20, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.2 #3 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

I agree with Steve Perry about getting better prints with your own inkjet, especially for Art. Even though it's more of a hassle to do it yourself, some professional printers like Costco, have smaller gamuts than the inkjets for some landscape work. Small labs have employees with their own idea of how to tweek a photo and sometimes it can differ from yours and they can be angry when you want it done over.

So if you plan to print a bunch of the same ones, a few now and a few later, once you get it tweeked and have your paper profile, it should be pretty good. In case the monitor drifts, then print out 10 each time it's good. If it's events or people you're doing, Costco can be OK and cheaper.

Oct 25, 2013 at 08:36 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

I bought the Canon 44" ipf 8400 last year with lots of rebates. The total cost was way below $3500. Indeed just $300 or so more than the 24" carriage (with way smaller tanks). The 44" ships with 300 mL tanks! When you consider the value of the ink you are paying only a few $100s more than the top end 13" printers!

Certainly a no brainier verses the 24" version if the, rebated, prices are similiar. I "traded in" my HP Z3100 (photographed the SN and then gave it away). No, I do not print a lot but I do have the room (it's long!) and what a thrill to see HUGE prints come out of the printer. It prints really, really fast has a quick hand off from the computer and a fine, easy to use, Photoshope plug-in.

I actually un-packed it myself and, with two strong men to put it on the stand, installed the drivers, etc. and was printing with no support calls. It has a, dedicated, blue ink tank (no glosser tank-not needed) and the blues are to die for. Much better prints than the HPZ31/3200 and works like a small format printer, but with roll paper) no hassle. Thought I might miss the internal spectrophotometer but no. So PM me, if you are serious, for more info.

Nov 06, 2013 at 03:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcmiller
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Steve Perry wrote:
Prior to that I had an Epson 7800 series that was prone to clogs, but not as bad. I actually purchased the 7900 in part because I was foolish enough to believe their marketing that they had fixed the clog problem. WRONG!

I had the same experience with the 7800. As much as I like making large prints at home, considering the actual cost per print for my 7800 I will probably never buy another wide carriage printer.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.2 #6 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

SoundHound wrote:
I bought the Canon 44" ipf 8400 last year with lots of rebates. The total cost was way below $3500. Indeed just $300 or so more than the 24" carriage (with way smaller tanks). The 44" ships with 300 mL tanks! When you consider the value of the ink you are paying only a few $100s more than the top end 13" printers!

Certainly a no brainier verses the 24" version if the, rebated, prices are similiar. I "traded in" my HP Z3100 (photographed the SN and then gave it away). No, I do not print a lot but I do
...Show more

Well, Canon has rebate again, but not nearly as good - still I'm glad I was able to wait a bit before buying. I'll save $300 so not too bad. The 8400 is $800 off, but still more than I wanted to spend.

How has your printer been? Any issues after setup? (clogging?)

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.2 #7 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

dcmiller wrote:
I had the same experience with the 7800. As much as I like making large prints at home, considering the actual cost per print for my 7800 I will probably never buy another wide carriage printer.

I'm hoping Canon can make it worthwhile. Yeah, the CPP on the 7XXX series is pretty high between wasted paper (tests) and ink.

Nov 07, 2013 at 12:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password