Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

EyeCandyPhotog

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Between Canon and Epson what model would you get and why. I'm mainly using for landscapes and portrait type enlargements.

Thanks

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:30 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

EyeCandyPhotog wrote:
Between Canon and Epson what model would you get and why. I'm mainly using for landscapes and portrait type enlargements.

That would greatly depend on what size, on what types of media, average number of prints per week, average time between prints, longest time between print runs, sheet or roll?

Brian A

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Do you even really need a printer of your own ? Most of us are far better off getting someone else to do the prints.

The big printers are cheaper to run but cost more to buy. Some let you use cut sheets from a convenient cassette but others make you use one sheet at a time. The printer size obviously determines the largest dimension that it can print, so what do you need ?

I didn't need a printer but I chose to buy a 24" Canon. Since then I've been away from that printer most of the time and it remains way underutilised. Also, there have been a couple of model upgrades and an ink system upgrade that make my printer outdated by current standards, and it has become a lot cheaper to have others make large prints. It also takes a lot of effort to profile the printer for each ink/paper combination. I have to say that 24"x36" prints look great but a home can only accommodate so many prints on its walls.

Therefore I will not buy another big printer.

- Alan

Oct 08, 2013 at 06:44 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Hehehe, I wanna see the same logic used on car sites.

Poster: I have $180k what hot sports car would you recommend. Can I get a super-car for that?

Reply: Do you even need a car of your own? After I crashed my last car I've been taking the bus. It's way cheaper and goes pretty much everywhere.

Baahahahahaaa

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Bifurcator wrote:
Hehehe, I wanna see the same logic used on car sites.

Poster: I have $180k what hot sports car would you recommend. Can I get a super-car for that?

Reply: Do you even need a car of your own? After I crashed my last car I've been taking the bus. It's way cheaper and goes pretty much everywhere.

Baahahahahaaa

A more likely reply is "my car just sits in the garage gathering dust because I'm afraid that someone will scratch the paintwork if I take it outside"

Oct 08, 2013 at 02:34 PM
blob loblaw
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

OOOoo I wanna play analogies too!

Surgery forum

OP: I have $10k, what's a good laser scalpel? Can I get a portable one? I have some moles I want to remove and neighbours are having lots of boys might help them out with circumcisions
REPLY: ....
REPLY: ....
REPLY: do you even need a scalpel of your own? After I lost my last patient...

yea I can't do it.

Oct 08, 2013 at 06:59 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

EyeCandyPhotog wrote:

Thanks

The question is what type of printing will you most likely do, not what brand printer should you spend your $3,500 on. With a new beginning you can get this figured out better and possibly spend a lot less or a little more money.

Oct 08, 2013 at 07:33 PM
acktdi

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

IPF6400/8400, doesn't waste ink or clog like the Epsons. I use my 8400 for low volume canvas and fine art paper printing. No complaints after nearly a year of ownership.

Oct 08, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Those big iPF printers have large (economical) ink tanks and also use an automatic agitation system to prevent clogging while in standby mode. They even monitor ambient conditions.

Even here in Oz I was paying something like $12 to get a 24" x 36" print, which is an excellent price, but the printers cost thousands of $ and that kills the payback for low-volume operations.

They're heaps cheaper in the US and therefore easier to justify. My justification, however, was as simple as "I just want one" and it's very hard to argue with that sort of logic

Anyone looking to buy one needs a big room to accommodate such a printer because they are about two feet wider than the rated paper width and three feet deep with stand and paper basket. Not many people have that much spare space available for occasional printing. Plus they are delivered by crane or forklift or a bunch of he-man weight lifters.

Mine uses the older Lucia inks that are less physically robust than the newer version. They'll last a long time if hung on the wall but are easily scratched when being handled. So if you are considering buying second hand then take that into account.

- Alan

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:55 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

For $3500, I'm assuming you're thinking about a 24" printer. I just threw out a two year old Epson 7900 - it's literally in my dumpster behind my office. Print head failed, needed replaced, long story short, it's almost the same cost of a new printer to replace it. The printer was a disaster from day one - constant clogging, always needed to run a nozzle check and clean before any print job.

Heck, - even in the middle of large multi-print jobs I'd run into clogs on a regular basis! I'd print a few 16x24s - no problem - and then it starts clogging. Mess with cleaning / nozzle checking for a half hour, back to printing. Even if I could get a replacement printer for free I don't think I'd do it - I am 100% confident that over half my materials - paper and ink - were thrown away due to cleaning / testing. It's just crazy.

Prior to that I had an Epson 7800 series that was prone to clogs, but not as bad. I actually purchased the 7900 in part because I was foolish enough to believe their marketing that they had fixed the clog problem. WRONG!

If you want to waste a few hours, just google "Epson 7900 clogging" or "Epson 7900 problems" - you'll see I'm not alone. No more Epson for me - ever.

I'm off for get a Canon IPF 6400 next. Should have it in a week or two. From my research, I'm hopeful it will work out much better.

Oct 14, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

acktdi

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

If you're not in any hurry, you may be able to get an ipf8400 44" for $3000 if Canon does their winter rebate program again.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Alan321 wrote:
Do you even really need a printer of your own ?

I get where you are coming from - some people enjoy printing and the headaches of printer ownership, and others don't.

I am in the latter group and would rather a lab print and maintain their machine.

$3500 could equate to a fair amount of prints.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Sal Baker
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

If the art of printmaking doesn't make you cringe with delight, send out for prints and just accept what you get.

Sal

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Sal Baker wrote:
...just accept what you get.

What type of 'lab' are we talking about here?

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Sal Baker wrote:
If the art of printmaking doesn't make you cringe with delight, send out for prints and just accept what you get.

Sal

And there's the problem - at least for me

I've tried a variety of the big labs (west coast imaging, Mpix, ect) and none of the prints were as good as what I can pull off with my inkjet with the same file.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Sal Baker
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Paul Mo wrote:
What type of 'lab' are we talking about here?

I would guess that's up to the person having the prints made.

Sal

Oct 18, 2013 at 02:12 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

It's a lot more fun to have made the prints yourself. It's not only about which is the cheapest way to get a print. If so we could buy the photo's also instead of going there and shoot
When seing a large print on the wall at home it's a much better feeling to have done both the photography and printing yourself.

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

acktdi wrote:
If you're not in any hurry, you may be able to get an ipf8400 44" for $3000 if Canon does their winter rebate program again.

I was thinking about this - does anyone know when they usually do it? I really need a printer, but if there's a rebate program coming up soon I might hold off.

Oct 18, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Sal Baker
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Probably the first part of November. Last year the ipf6400 was only around $1,800 with rebates and discounts in November through the end of December. Prices have never been so low since.

Sal

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:39 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What's the best option for a $3,500 printer?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It's a lot more fun to have made the prints yourself. It's not only about which is the cheapest way to get a print. If so we could buy the photo's also instead of going there and shoot
When seing a large print on the wall at home it's a much better feeling to have done both the photography and printing yourself.

I also feel I get a better quality result in the end by printing at home.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password