Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

trale

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

I'm mulling an upgrade to Lightroom 5, I've wanted to wait a few updates for initial performance issues to be ironed out. Now that it's in revision 5.2, it's time for some serious consideration.

For those who have made the upgrade, what are your experiences and thoughts about its performance versus Lightroom 4? I'm referring to things like

- Importing (generating previews)
- Interface (moving from module to module, from one image to the next)
- Editing (how responsive are changes you make, such as edits with the adjustment brush)
- Exporting

I've found conflicting accounts on the web about this question so I'm opening my own inquiry.

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:12 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1220376/0

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1220523/0

Oct 08, 2013 at 04:51 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

5.2 brought a big increase in speed for me.

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:59 PM
LXShooter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

Can we get a simple answer saying if it's worth upgrading or not? I don't want to fall asleep reading an article.

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:20 AM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

g-money wrote:
5.2 brought a big increase in speed for me.

+1

Oct 10, 2013 at 04:00 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

LXShooter wrote:
Can we get a simple answer saying if it's worth upgrading or not? I don't want to fall asleep reading an article.

Yes it is. And No it isn't.

There, saved you all that difficult and tedious "understanding"

Oct 10, 2013 at 05:09 AM
jonjack56

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

Experience is varied, you can try the new release for 30 days before you need to decide if you wish to upgrade. Be aware that work you do in the new version will not be compatible with the older version if you do not finally upgrade. I have no problems on my Win 7 64 bit system. 4GB ram.

Oct 10, 2013 at 05:39 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

Performance and speed is a little bit better. But it's still rather slow

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

Yup! The image-to-image-browsing-cache seems to be working better in 5.2 and in 4.x (4.6 I think?). But it's still too small and there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust that particular cache. So going from image to image there is now a read-ahead cache that speeds up image flipping - but for some reason it only reads like 3 or 4 images and doesn't read-ahead again until to surpass the cache completely. So it's like:

fast-->fast-->fast-->dog_slow-->dog_slow-->manually_wait-->fast_again-->repeat

This is better than before which was all dog_slow all the time. A few of the tools seem a little more peppier too but I haven't timed anything like I usually do so that could be wishful thinking on my part too.

To know if it's "worth it" to upgrade just do a search for LR New Features and watch some videos or visit the Adobe site: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/features.html which lists the new features in total as being:

Advanced Healing Brush
    Upright
    Radial Gradient
    Smart Previews
    Video slide shows
    Improved photo book creation

I haven't read anywhere yet Adobe claiming LR 5.x is faster than 4.x.

Oct 11, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

LR 5 seems to be a tad faster than LR 4 on my Mac Pro. The perspective auto-correction was worth the upgrade by itself. It's really quite amazing and has saved me a ton of time with wide angle shots.

Sal

Oct 11, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

No comment on the relative speed because I reconfigured hardware too at about the time I upgraded Lr.

If you use a second screen with Lr then you can expect intermittently poor performance refreshing the image on it. Seems to be an Adobe feature.

If you are using a laptop then you will likely appreciate the smart previews.

The upright tool is a bit too hit and miss for me. Sometimes it is brilliant at fixing things with a single click. Other times (at least as often) it just can't cope no matter what I do with it and I end up tweaking things manually or using an external editor such as DxO ViewPoint. This upright tool is still a beta product as far as I am concerned - it needs a lot of refinement.

I haven't played with the other new features yet.

- Alan

Oct 23, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

Yeah, the Upright Tool sucks! "Hit and Miss" is being too kind IMO. In the 3 to 5 percent of the cases it works I suppose it's alright tho.

Oct 23, 2013 at 03:38 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

No noticeable difference. When I press CMD E to round trip a photo, LR5 actually takes a bit longer to open it up in PS.

Oct 23, 2013 at 03:56 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

Bifurcator wrote:
Yup! The image-to-image-browsing-cache seems to be working better in 5.2 and in 4.x (4.6 I think?). But it's still too small and there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust that particular cache. So going from image to image there is now a read-ahead cache that speeds up image flipping - but for some reason it only reads like 3 or 4 images and doesn't read-ahead again until to surpass the cache completely. So it's like:

fast-->fast-->fast-->dog_slow-->dog_slow-->manually_wait-->fast_again-->repeat

This is better than before which was all dog_slow all the time. A few of the tools seem a little more peppier
...Show more

Bif,

Followed the link you provided and well, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Smart Previews, Video slide shows, and Improved photo book creation - ah maybe I'm not get how much smarter the previews are but slide shows and book creation don't do anything. My books involve text and Lr certainly has nothing in that realm.

I supposed I'd find a use for radial gradient but haven't had great results with the existing gradient tool. (Never found a way to reverse the light to dark direction.) How much improvement do you see in the healing brush? That could be useful and save hitting Ps for a number of pix.

Robert

Oct 23, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

I haven't used it enough to know yet. It feels the same so far. <shrug>

Oct 23, 2013 at 04:18 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR5 vs LR4 speed / performance?

it does feel a little snappier, I also think it has to do with your Machine. I Have a nice iMac where lightroom flies.

Oct 26, 2013 at 02:50 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password