Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

borismilan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

BenV wrote:
It focuses just as fast as any brand 70-200 I've used. I haven't owned this one long enough to make a final decision on its quality and AF. Taking it out this weekend to shoot some car drifting.

Thank you so much Ben for sharing these images and I look forward to hear more of your thoughts about the Tamron

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:58 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

I had a 70-200 VRI and now have a VRII that I bought from KEH for $1800. On an FX body you should go VRII, and for the $600 more that it costs over the VRI I think its worth the slightly higher performance if you are making money off your lenses. I don't have experience with the new Tamron 70-200, but the older one I tried was very slow to AF and was not as sharp wide open as the Nikons. I think if you go the Tamron route you may always be second guessing yourself for the extra money. Plus the Nikons tend to hold their value for resale better than the third party lenses.

Anyway I started off buying Tamrons, Sigmas, and Tokinas and have slowly gravitated towards all Nikon the more I shoot and the more I see the limitations of these other lenses. In the long run it would have been cheaper for me just to start with the Nikons, but its a lesson I think people need to learn themselves for the most part.

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:35 PM
borismilan
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

MichGoBlue wrote:
I had a 70-200 VRI and now have a VRII that I bought from KEH for $1800. On an FX body you should go VRII, and for the $600 more that it costs over the VRI I think its worth the slightly higher performance if you are making money off your lenses. I don't have experience with the new Tamron 70-200, but the older one I tried was very slow to AF and was not as sharp wide open as the Nikons. I think if you go the Tamron route you may always be second guessing yourself for the extra
...Show more

I totally understand and agree with you, I come from Canon and also learned the hard way that the Brand holds value better than 3rd party
Th real issue here is money, I dont make a lot of money from photography, is still a expensive hobby for the most part, I have been toying with the idea of getting the VRII lately, but is a hard to swallow pill for me
Still on the fence, I'd like to hear the Tamron experience doughg

Oct 09, 2013 at 01:56 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

Just an update that the 70-200 VRII I mentioned earlier arrived today in really mint condition except some wear on the bottom of the tripod foot and two tiny coating dots on the edge of the front element which took me & my gf 10 mints to find under flashlight, it certainly looks better than a lot of lenses I bought in LN condition other places Thank you Lens Authority!

Here's a wide open test shot with almost 100% crop on D800. I hate pixel peeping but sometimes it's reassuring

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:08 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

Well, for what its worth, mine is already on its way back. I was having major issues are certain focal lengths. In bright day light, iso100 with my shutter at or above 1/4000 I was having trouble getting sharp photos. Unacceptably sharp. I'm not much into pixel peeping (but I do tend to do it), but this was to the point where it was noticable without 100% crops. It may be the VC, or just something wrong with the optics, but if I can't get sharp photos of a sign in the middle of the day with a high shutter speed, I won't use it on assignment in less than optimal light.

All in all, the Tamron is a decent lens, but for $1500 I expected more. VC worked well, AF was very fast, at certain focal lengths the optics were good.

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:13 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

Oh and on a side note, if you've researched the Tamron, you'll know the focus breathing makes the 200mm end more like 170. The other 70-200 don't do it nearly that bad.

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:14 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

BenV wrote:
Well, for what its worth, mine is already on its way back. I was having major issues are certain focal lengths. In bright day light, iso100 with my shutter at or above 1/4000 I was having trouble getting sharp photos. Unacceptably sharp. I'm not much into pixel peeping (but I do tend to do it), but this was to the point where it was noticable without 100% crops. It may be the VC, or just something wrong with the optics, but if I can't get sharp photos of a sign in the middle of the day with a high shutter
...Show more

Sorry to hear that Ben. As for breathing, I think the 70-200 VRII breathes even more. I believe at MFD it's effectively 135mm but I don't mind that since I'll be using it for far action.

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:26 PM
borismilan
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

BenV wrote:
Well, for what its worth, mine is already on its way back. I was having major issues are certain focal lengths. In bright day light, iso100 with my shutter at or above 1/4000 I was having trouble getting sharp photos. Unacceptably sharp. I'm not much into pixel peeping (but I do tend to do it), but this was to the point where it was noticable without 100% crops. It may be the VC, or just something wrong with the optics, but if I can't get sharp photos of a sign in the middle of the day with a high shutter
...Show more

So sorry to hear that.. What are you planing to do? are you exchanging for another Tamron and see if the new copy is better?

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:41 PM
borismilan
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

hijazist wrote:
Just an update that the 70-200 VRII I mentioned earlier arrived today in really mint condition except some wear on the bottom of the tripod foot and two tiny coating dots on the edge of the front element which took me & my gf 10 mints to find under flashlight, it certainly looks better than a lot of lenses I bought in LN condition other places Thank you Lens Authority!

Here's a wide open test shot with almost 100% crop on D800. I hate pixel peeping but sometimes it's reassuring

I am so glad to hear that you got a great item, I went yesterday to the website and there where all VRII sold out

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:42 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

borismilan wrote:
So sorry to hear that.. What are you planing to do? are you exchanging for another Tamron and see if the new copy is better?

Probably just buy a used vr2 or save my money Also I could patiently wait for the new Sigma 70-200 that's rumored for 2014. I love my 35 1.4, 120-300 and 150 macro.

Oct 09, 2013 at 04:15 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

BenV wrote:
...Show more
My limited experience too, Ben. Borrowed one last week and tried a couple of TC's...laughable IQ compared
to the 70-200 f2.8 VR II. Afraid we get what we pay for with this bread n' butter zoom. Mine's naked 1/2 the time
and usually @ 135-200mm and f2.8 I've yet to see anything touch it, save my Chubby.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Daniel Bliss

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

With regard to the Tamron I can't help you on that. On the VR 1, I'd say the main thing is . . . . get a good one. There is some sample variation with them, and it ranges from the minor and easy to fix (e.g. misaligned lens mount) to decentering issues that cause real trouble. The copy I finally ended up with after a several month-long comedy of errors (at one point Nikon fixed a copy only to do such an inept job of packing it that by the time it reached me the lens cap was jammed down so hard on the front element that it could not be removed) was excellent. The corner problem is definitely there, both in the form of vignetting and resolution, but in my case it didn't extend beyond the extreme corners.

One other thing you should be aware of is that the VR 1 is MUCH better at distance than close up. This is a zoom that actually likes the 1.4x converter for any use farther than about 15 feet, but used even without a converter close up will disappoint except in the center of the image. The nice thing about a converter on this lens for FX is that it also crops out those bad corners at 200mm. And my sense is that the FX corners were one of the few parts of the lens that improved at closer focus. Use of the converter for distant subjects will basically solve the corner problem while still maintaining strong image quality.

Last point; the VR on the VR1 really isn't very good. It manages to penalize good handholding technique, and it's really rather hit-and-miss. I think this is better thought of as a lens where you make use of the full range of apertures, 2.8 included, but accept that VR isn't going to do that much for you. One thing you can usually do if it goes flaky on you as you're taking a photograph is to start to fake a shake yourself, at which point the VR will leap into action and usually produce an acceptable result. The new f4 70-200 is a far better choice if you need image stabilization. This VR issue is what really caused me headaches with the lens.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
borismilan
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

Thank you Daniel
I am starting to like the ideas of a Used VR1 instead of the Tamron, perhaps a used one from KEH.com
Ben's experience is much telling, I havent used the VR1 (I have used the older Canon version) perhaps a Used VR1 is the way to go for my need
A 1800$ VR2 is a bit hard pill to swallow

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

One other thing you should be aware of is that the VR 1 is MUCH better at distance than close up.
Couple of things, sport...it's a 70-200 f2.8 VR not a VR I (as he looks at the gold box)
Secondly, it's actually a tad sharper (center) close in @ 200mm and f2.8 than the VR II.
You must have had a poor copy because we ran ~100,000 captures thru 2 copies over the
span of a couple rodeo seasons. One was sold off for the VR II when the need to play with
all the TC's became paramount. The other's still truckin' and sharp as a tack. So, I'll suggest
operator error if you found the VR on the original lacking...certainly NOT "hit and miss"
For your perusal here's one taken in close, handheld and SOOC. So I call TBS, just sayin'

D3 200mm f2.8 1/640th ISO200

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

I'd save a little more and buy a used VRII from a seller here with good feedback.

For the record, I love my Nikon 70-200 f/4. Got tired of all the weight of my f/2.8 (I don't have trenchmonkey guns... )

Oct 11, 2013 at 05:23 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Want 70-200 f2.8: Go Used Nikon VR1 or Tamron VC ?

Beauty of the VR II, a guy can throw on the TC-20E III for grins and keepers.

© riversbendphotography

Oct 12, 2013 at 01:46 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.