Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #1 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:

That's easy! Pixel peeping, IQ purists who spends more time looking at pixels than pictures and even less time taking picures. The same people who worry that a D800E might not be sharp enough and that sharpness is the end all be all of photography.

But no worries, there aren't any of those on this forum .....

Just out of curiosity, if an artist set out to find the best paints for their easel, what does that make them? would you imagine Michelangelo painting the Sistine chapel ceiling with crayola, possible, yes, advisable, sure, by many on this forum, "rolls-eye's".

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/CSN/CSN_Volta.html

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Just out of curiosity, if an artist set out to find the best paints for their easel, what does that make them? would you imagine Michelangelo painting the Sistine chapel ceiling with crayola, possible, yes, advisable, sure, by many on this forum, "rolls-eye's".

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/CSN/CSN_Volta.html

Sharpest does not equal best. There is a lot more to a photographic system than sharpness ... that is my point. Then of course, we could go down the rat hole of arguing who and who is not an artist ...

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:31 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #3 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:
Sharpest does not equal best. There is a lot more to a photographic system than sharpness ... that is my point.

how petty.
" Then of course, we could go down the rat hole of arguing who and who is not an artist ...
"

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:42 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #4 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:
Sharpest does not equal best. There is a lot more to a photographic system than sharpness ... that is my point. Then of course, we could go down the rat hole of arguing who and who is not an artist ...

"Sharpest does not equal best. "

Look, Labonte, I have never stated this misconstrued fact, however, my goal of asking the user of the Leica, his opinion, millions of trolls came to call. I doubt you are a troll, and frankly, neither am i, however, i am not above trolls, or anyone, i am simply, Americo,

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
"Sharpest does not equal best. "

Look, Labonte, I have never stated this misconstrued fact, however, my goal of asking the user of the Leica, his opinion, millions of trolls came to call. I doubt you are a troll, and frankly, neither am i, however, i am not above trolls, or anyone, i am simply, Americo,

I never mentioned YOU or called YOU anything. I made some very general comments with regards to what I see many people doing (i.e. equating sharpness to quality); Those comments were not aimed at anyone in particular. If the mark lands close to home and you are getting so defensive about it, maybe you need thing about that a bit.

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:18 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #6 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:
I never mentioned YOU or called YOU anything. I made some very general comments with regards to what I see many people doing (i.e. equating sharpness to quality); Those comments were not aimed at anyone in particular. If the mark lands close to home and you are getting so defensive about it, maybe you need thing about that a bit.

Well, I happened to be the original starter of this query, so, yes, I am defensive, I apologize.

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

^^^ No Problem ... the thread is about the lens anyway

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Leica Summicron 50mm 2.0 $7350.00
Leica Noctilux 50mm .95 $10,995.00
Leica Summilux 50mm 1.4 $3995.00

Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 $3990.00 is cheaper than any of the above and the word is, it surpasses all of the above in image quality.

True, the Otus is even sharper than those vaunted (and expensive) Leica RF lenses, which is impressive in and of itself. But my Summilux is the lens I'll have with me, since that lens mounted to a Leica M is smaller and lighter than the Otus 55 alone. You have to respect what Leica is able to do, image-wise, in a very small and well built package.

Also, I would venture to say that it's easier to properly focus any of the above Leica 50s (even the Noct!). Until Nikon introduces focus peaking into the D800 live-view, I feel it will be difficult (for me at least) to achieve optimal focus at f/1.4 through a D800 VF. Hence, I'd probably end up using Otus+D800 on a tripod most of the time.

That said, I'm keeping my eye out for an Otus 85 or an Otus 15. I might not be able to resist a good Zeiss in those FLs. I'm also curious to see if the Otus line spurs Peter Karbe and Co. in Solms to further update even the recently revised 'luxes to behave more like the 50AA. Actually, scratch that... I'm not curious about that. This stuff is costing me too much as is.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:23 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.4 #9 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:

It would be nice if you stopped polluting this and other threads about the new Otus. You go on and on and it is leading nowhere. Including that thread that Torralba started about this lens:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1252865

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:45 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.4 #10 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:

Bingo! That was the point of the thread to begin with. The lack of AF and the huge price tag in a single package makes no sense.

All of the AF lenses that I have bought are flimsy in comparison to my Zeiss 50 mm f/1.4. Plus, I never have to worry about the AF motor breaking on my Zeiss.
Manually focusing an AF lens is not a very good feeling as they are so loosey goosey.

Nov 19, 2013 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LeifG
• • •
p.4 #11 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Graham Mitchell wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out who would buy this lens. It's not for landscape or sports shooters. It's not for product or beauty either (which suit smaller apertures). Seems more of a portrait/fashion lens that people might actually use wide open, but focusing at f1.4 and manual focus on a D800 is not so easy. You'd be lucky to ever nail focus enough and enjoy the extra detail this lens can offer. It would be wasted on a video sensor too and seems to lack some features needed in a top video lens.

Still scratching my head...

Presumably Zeiss have decided that the D800 offers an alternative to medium format and the Leica S2, so they have introduced state of the art lenses that allow it to compete with medium format systems. It is not so much that this lens is crazy sharp, but that at F1.4 and even F2 competing lenses are crazy soft in the corners, with a loss of contrast over much of the image, to a degree that is obvious in images. I suspect a top pro could pay off this lens with a few jobs, but I am guessing.

Nov 19, 2013 at 08:23 PM
clmusic
• •
p.4 #12 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

It would be nice if you stopped polluting this and other threads about the new Otus. You go on and on and it is leading nowhere. Including that thread that Torralba started about this lens:

He must have a lot of free time

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

He must have a lot of free time

It's an equipment forum and it's a piece of equipment that a lot of people are interested in ... if you don't like the topic, move on!

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.4 #14 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Let me fuel the fire

Nov 21, 2013 at 02:07 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Good one Jorge!

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:03 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.4 #16 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

wiseguy010 wrote:

I agree, those who make negative remarks are continually repeating the same tired old clichés. I think we can work out that this lens is not cheap, and most of us might not need it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Christian H
• •
p.4 #17 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Based on the bokeh and corner-to-corner characteristics of the images I've seen, 4K is a steal. The lens is also crazy sharp, but that's hardly the (main) point when shooting wide open. If I did more work in this focal range, this lens or something like it would be a no-brainer.

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Andre Labonte wrote:
Spend less time worrying about the camera and more on your skills.

This advice coming from a forum member who generates thousands of words concerning the absence of certain cameras and lenses from the Nikon system? Something rings a little hollow.

Beware of becoming "a pixel peeping, IQ purists who spends more time looking at pixels than pictures and even less time taking picures." I'm not saying that to be mean, but mean it as honest advice. I've seen far too many people go down that rat-hole of worrying about gear and not about their skills.

Do you personally know anyone who represents the caricature you describe? I would suggest that the "pixel peepers" you decry above may take more pictures, and develop their photographic skills, far more than their forum contributions suggest. Indeed, most of the really good photographers I know care a great deal about the IQ benefits a lens like Otus might offer, and would happily discuss many of the issues re: "diminishing returns" that are being raised here. They certainly spend more time worrying about that than whether a Nikon D400 will ever be forthcoming.

Nov 21, 2013 at 09:42 PM
clmusic
• •
p.4 #19 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

Arka wrote:
This advice coming from a forum member who generates thousands of words concerning the absence of certain cameras and lenses from the Nikon system? Something rings a little hollow.

+1

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.4 #20 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4

My good friend picked it up yesterday and it's a thing of beauty and amazingly sharp,
we had lot's of fun putting it through the paces

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password