Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
  

New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4
  
 
philipj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Americo, I couldn't agree more with M635_Guy, I don't think you should change your camera at all, that's definitely not what might be holding back your photography.


Oct 14, 2013 at 06:09 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


a.RodriguezPix wrote:
How would you say the sharpness is for the digital rangefinder vs a Nikon? I am considering the Leica M9 vs. the Nikon D800E for sharpness exclusively, so i wonder if the online opinions are accurate?



Spend less time worrying about the camera and more on your skills. Beware of becoming "a pixel peeping, IQ purists who spends more time looking at pixels than pictures and even less time taking picures." I'm not saying that to be mean, but mean it as honest advice. I've seen far too many people go down that rat-hole of worrying about gear and not about their skills.




Oct 14, 2013 at 08:47 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Andre Labonte wrote:
Spend less time worrying about the camera and more on your skills. Beware of becoming "a pixel peeping, IQ purists who spends more time looking at pixels than pictures and even less time taking picures." I'm not saying that to be mean, but mean it as honest advice. I've seen far too many people go down that rat-hole of worrying about gear and not about their skills.




No, See, you have misunderstood, as usually occurs here, and there. My main goal, and concern, was, and is, to achieve maximum sharpness, organically, not chemically Ala processing. Why, because, it is what I seek. Thanks though, for your time, and concern? I merely asked the purveyor of the equipment said mentioned. Meh.



Oct 15, 2013 at 01:10 AM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


M635_Guy wrote:
Americo - I'd like to suggest that the D800 you have already is plenty enough camera. Lightroom and/or Photoshop will give you enough sharpening capability beyond that. Your glass might be a better place to spend your funds vs. a Leica (e.g. the 85 f/1.8G is crazy sharp vs. the 85 f/1.8D you have. I loved my old 80-200 f/2.8, but my 70-200 f/4 is far, far sharper).

I'd consider some photography workshops or classes too. That isn't intended as a criticism or commentary on your skills BTW - I'm a car guy, and I've always said the biggest improvement in
...Show more


I appreciate the feedback, and concern, however, as I had asked the person addressed, I was expecting his accurate answer and opinion, about the device. I do know how to spend my funds, but, I never mind the extra advice, thank you. I like cars as well, and true, the drivers are usually young, dumb, and you know the rest, but as for me, I am no where in the realm of young, dumb, sure, but are we not all? My goal, goals, with my equipment are usually intentional, and not per chance, and from what I understand, some folks seek organic sharpness, hence forth, the nikon D800E, Zeiss lenses, Leica, and any other available equipment, which, to those that test, means the D800E, Leica, but not so much the D800, so then, I have answered my own query?



Oct 15, 2013 at 01:18 AM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


a.RodriguezPix wrote:
I appreciate the feedback, and concern, however, as I had asked the person addressed, I was expecting his accurate answer and opinion, about the device. I do know how to spend my funds, but, I never mind the extra advice, thank you. I like cars as well, and true, the drivers are usually young, dumb, and you know the rest, but as for me, I am no where in the realm of young, dumb, sure, but are we not all? My goal, goals, with my equipment are usually intentional, and not per chance, and from what I understand, some folks
...Show more

Americo - I think only you can answer that question. Literally.



Oct 15, 2013 at 09:29 PM
JoshI
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Organic sharpness? That's a new one for me.


Oct 15, 2013 at 09:51 PM
Hardcore
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


a.RodriguezPix wrote:
My goal, goals, with my equipment are usually intentional, and not per chance, and from what I understand, some folks seek organic sharpness, hence forth, the nikon D800E, Zeiss lenses, Leica, and any other available equipment, which, to those that test, means the D800E, Leica, but not so much the D800, so then, I have answered my own query?





Oct 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM
hijazist
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


JoshI wrote:
Organic sharpness? That's a new one for me.


Taking pictures with a D800E at farmers market I guess



Oct 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


hijazist wrote:
Taking pictures with a D800E at farmers market I guess



Bravo., you have made a funny.



Oct 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


JoshI wrote:
Organic sharpness? That's a new one for me.



Well, what does organic mean to you, in a sense? What does inorganic assume then? Here, let me use scientifically proven words...Post processing, organic, processing, inorganic, well that work? I assumed my choice words would clarify my sentiment, however, I erred.
Once more, I will further my thoughts, I had the urge to seek natural wholesome sharpness, rather than dirty, fake, chemical, silicon enlarged, sharpness, so I pondered the Leica M9 versus the Nikon D800E as means to achieve these far fetched goals.
Get this though, I have now purchased a Canon 85mm 1.2 MK II L instead, to be used on either the Canon 5d mk2 or the 6D, whether shaper or dull, it makes no difference now, because that crazy sick bokeh that this bad boy ensues, makes me grin, as I pen these words, nay, type! Thanks for playing my game guys! I appreciate the help!



Oct 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


M635_Guy wrote:
Americo - I think only you can answer that question. Literally.



you have confused me! Oh well, I apologize if I was an a$$h0le to anyone with my ideas, I just kinda gunned it! xD Peace, and happy photography, seriously too! I no need for enemies, or cancer, because cancer sucks sheep nuts!



Oct 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM
hijazist
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


a.RodriguezPix wrote:


Bravo., you have made a funny.


Why bitter man? Calling a member stupid earlier and getting defensive when someone gives you advice about improving your skills? Chill out and have fun here... Good luck with Canon gear



Oct 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


hijapost wrote:
Why bitter man? Calling a member stupid earlier and getting defensive when someone gives you advice about improving your skills? Chill out and have fun here... Good luck with Canon gear




Read his post he was offending my country, and countrymen



Oct 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Hardcore
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


All I can say, if your worried about sharpness, the d800 or the d800e are not the cameras you want for general photographic sharpness UNLESS your printing very very large. I have both the d800 & e and the difference between them is very very very minimal to the point where you can hardly tell the difference between them by pixel peeping at 200%. My D600 beats them both in sharpness for 95% of my use. That said, I still prefer the d800/E over a lot of the cameras I have used.


Oct 16, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Graham Mitchell
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


I'm still trying to figure out who would buy this lens. It's not for landscape or sports shooters. It's not for product or beauty either (which suit smaller apertures). Seems more of a portrait/fashion lens that people might actually use wide open, but focusing at f1.4 and manual focus on a D800 is not so easy. You'd be lucky to ever nail focus enough and enjoy the extra detail this lens can offer. It would be wasted on a video sensor too and seems to lack some features needed in a top video lens.

Still scratching my head...



Oct 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Jorge Torralba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


I will buy this lens for several reason.

1. When production eventually stops on this lens, it will be worth a lot of $$.

2. I have to spend money my wife does not know I have stashed.

3. There is no doubt, the lens will produce contrast, sharpness, colors, bokeh etc.. that others cannot match.

4. It will look cool on an F6 or D4

5. It is a prime candidate for a special lens cap I am milling to replace all my crappy zeiss lens caps.

6. It will be a tax write off for my website.

7. Because we have been blessed by the all mighty and have been given the opportunity to be free. With that said, we can do stupid thing like spend the money as we wish.






Oct 16, 2013 at 05:07 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Jorge Torralba wrote:
I will buy this lens for several reason.

1. When production eventually stops on this lens, it will be worth a lot of $$.

2. I have to spend money my wife does not know I have stashed.

3. There is no doubt, the lens will produce contrast, sharpness, colors, bokeh etc.. that others cannot match.

4. It will look cool on an F6 or D4

5. It is a prime candidate for a special lens cap I am milling to replace all my crappy zeiss lens caps.

6. It will be a tax write off for my website.

7. Because we have
...Show more



Jorge, will Rollei glass count as Zeiss on your website? It is made by Zeiss formula, and Zeiss flickr allows it as well! Thank you! time to visit again, its been to long for me! I forgot the URL!!



Oct 16, 2013 at 05:12 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Jorge, will Rollei glass count as Zeiss on your website? It is made by Zeiss formula, and Zeiss flickr allows it as well! Thank you! time to visit again, its been to long for me! I forgot the URL!!



Pardon my err, one simply needs to click your profile to find the answers! xD -Americo.rodriguez aka a.Rollei.Brujo



Oct 16, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Jorge Torralba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Jorge, will Rollei glass count as Zeiss on your website? It is made by Zeiss formula, and Zeiss flickr allows it as well! Thank you! time to visit again, its been to long for me! I forgot the URL!!


yeap rollei is there too http://zeissimages.com/standardgallery.php?makeused=rollei&showall



Oct 16, 2013 at 05:18 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Graham Mitchell wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out who would buy this lens. It's not for landscape or sports shooters. It's not for product or beauty either (which suit smaller apertures). Seems more of a portrait/fashion lens that people might actually use wide open, but focusing at f1.4 and manual focus on a D800 is not so easy. You'd be lucky to ever nail focus enough and enjoy the extra detail this lens can offer. It would be wasted on a video sensor too and seems to lack some features needed in a top video lens.

Still scratching my head...


*******************************

That's easy! Pixel peeping, IQ purists who spends more time looking at pixels than pictures and even less time taking picures. The same people who worry that a D800E might not be sharp enough and that sharpness is the end all be all of photography.

But no worries, there aren't any of those on this forum .....



Oct 16, 2013 at 05:19 PM
1       2      
3
       4       5       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password