Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       4       5       end
  

New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4
  
 
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


EB-1 wrote:
It's Japanese, not German.

EBH



Doesn't history show, that the Germans' invented quality, and that the Japanese bought it afterward, if that even really matters? Oh, you disagree? Go ahead, read the history,no matter how obscure it has been made, after all, who likes to admit being a "sellout"? Is that what the children call it? Germans are proud, as are every God made human, nearly all, I say nearly, because frankly, I am not.



Oct 12, 2013 at 05:37 AM
Ripolini
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


EB-1 wrote:
It's Japanese, not German.
EBH


The 105 VR is Chinese, not Japanese ...



Oct 12, 2013 at 07:41 AM
Two23
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Ripolini wrote:
The 105 VR is Chinese, not Japanese ...



My favorite lenses to use are French! (Derogy, Secretans & Lerebrours, Jamin, Darlot.)



Kent in SD



Oct 12, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Doesn't history show, that the Germans' invented quality, and that the Japanese bought it afterward, if that even really matters? Oh, you disagree? Go ahead, read the history,no matter how obscure it has been made, after all, who likes to admit being a "sellout"? Is that what the children call it? Germans are proud, as are every God made human, nearly all, I say nearly, because frankly, I am not.


**************************

I don't give a damb where something is built ... in today's modern world it's all about the quality controls a company puts into in place. I've seen great quality come out of China and junk out of Germany ... granted on a % basis there are trends, but I judge each company and each product on it's merits ... and price of course.



Oct 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Doesn't history show, that the Germans' invented quality, and that the Japanese bought it afterward, if that even really matters? Oh, you disagree? Go ahead, read the history,no matter how obscure it has been made, after all, who likes to admit being a "sellout"? Is that what the children call it? Germans are proud, as are every God made human, nearly all, I say nearly, because frankly, I am not.


there is a flaw in your statement. no not just a flaw but a lack of depth and completion. you too need to read more into the history not just the cliff notes version.

Edited on Oct 13, 2013 at 01:10 PM · View previous versions



Oct 13, 2013 at 01:05 PM
carlitos
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


All the camera manufacturers use the same milling machines, lens grinders, quality assurance techniques, etc. They can all hit the same tolerance & quality objectives, if they want to. So their geographic location doesn't matter.

The Japanese/German/Chinese/American argument is not relevant.

More a matter of market, price point, and profits for world class companies.



Oct 13, 2013 at 01:09 PM
sjms
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


carlitos wrote:
All the camera manufacturers use the same milling machines, lens grinders, quality assurance techniques, etc. They can all hit the same tolerance & quality objectives, if they want to. So their geographic location doesn't matter.

The Japanese/German/Chinese/American argument is not relevant.

More a matter of market, price point, and profits for world class companies.


is that not as much a part of tolerance and quality objectives? and you forgot pride in results.



Oct 13, 2013 at 01:12 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


sjms wrote:
there is a flaw in your statement. no not just a flaw but a lack of depth and completion. you too need to read more into the history not just the cliff notes version.




Go to canon meusum available online via Canon read the founders own statements. Direct me to your source of knowledge and I'll oblige, go ahead show me your path of enlightenment. If you are so superiorly knowledged show us your methods, please. I don't know what "cliff notes" are but I do read my information from everything available. I do stand by my statements as well if you took time to prove otherwise rather than scold we would not have this exchange of "net" verbal sewage. Thank you.



Oct 13, 2013 at 04:47 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/history/canon_story/1933_1936/1933_1936.html


Oct 13, 2013 at 04:51 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Andre Labonte wrote:
**************************

I don't give a damb where something is built ... in today's modern world it's all about the quality controls a company puts into in place. I've seen great quality come out of China and junk out of Germany ... granted on a % basis there are trends, but I judge each company and each product on it's merits ... and price of course.






I was merely remarking his odd comment with my own odd response. My two children are one half of me with my kind being of Mexican descent/other and one quarter Lao and one quarter Thai via there mother, and for the most part the full human! What this have to do what anything, exactly!



Oct 13, 2013 at 04:56 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


I only buy lenses made in 'Murica


Oct 13, 2013 at 06:28 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


BenV wrote:
I only buy lenses made in 'Murica




Man, you are stupid, plain and simple. If you have a contribution, do so. If you like to offend America, leave it. Don't contribute to making this country your way bro



Oct 13, 2013 at 07:07 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


BenV wrote:
I only buy lenses made in 'Murica



Leica M9, Kodak, American, do you own it? No? too poor? Me too.



Oct 13, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


<flame suit on>
While I like the idea of these 'super lenses' to deliver results for sensors like the D800 I have to wonder who they are really for.

To get the most out of them viewfinder manual focus will be far too inaccurate to differentiate them from nikon et al so live view is required. This constrains it to tripod use and therefore landscape and product which is shot stopped down into diffraction territory where you may as well use a nikon (et al) lens.



Oct 13, 2013 at 09:12 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Mark_L wrote:
<flame suit on>
While I like the idea of these 'super lenses' to deliver results for sensors like the D800 I have to wonder who they are really for.

To get the most out of them viewfinder manual focus will be far too inaccurate to differentiate them from nikon et al so live view is required. This constrains it to tripod use and therefore landscape and product which is shot stopped down into diffraction territory where you may as well use a nikon (et al) lens.


****************************

Bingo! That was the point of the thread to begin with. The lack of AF and the huge price tag in a single package makes no sense.



Oct 13, 2013 at 09:57 PM
philipj
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


I'm glad you guys aren't the only lens designers, because there absolutely is a market for this lens.

Me? Not likely, but not because of limitations in manually focusing. I have found the digital rangefinder quite accurate, and even my poor old eyes with the stock D700 screen can manage to get a good fraction of keepers with the 50mm f/1.2 AI-s. It's called practice.



Oct 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Jorge Torralba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


My latest lens is made in Barsoon and performs quite well.

When you really think about it, the best camera lens combo is the one you have with you. without that regardless of where it is made, all you have is a memory.



Oct 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Jorgen Udvang
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


While I agree that focusing this lens will be a challenge, there are other sides to this than wide open sharpness, like the combination of sharpness and soft bokeh, the absence of CA and other artifacts etc. The law of diminishing returns engages at full power here of course, but it is, at least at this stage, a rather unique lens. The only manufacturer I can see attempting to make something similarly outstanding around 50mm is Sigma, and being a rather large lens already, the potential is probably there. With AF obviously.


Oct 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM
a.RodriguezPix
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


philipj wrote:
I'm glad you guys aren't the only lens designers, because there absolutely is a market for this lens.

Me? Not likely, but not because of limitations in manually focusing. I have found the digital rangefinder quite accurate, and even my poor old eyes with the stock D700 screen can manage to get a good fraction of keepers with the 50mm f/1.2 AI-s. It's called practice.



How would you say the sharpness is for the digital rangefinder vs a Nikon? I am considering the Leica M9 vs. the Nikon D800E for sharpness exclusively, so i wonder if the online opinions are accurate?



Oct 14, 2013 at 04:01 AM
M635_Guy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · New Zeiss 55mm f/1.4


Americo - I'd like to suggest that the D800 you have already is plenty enough camera. Lightroom and/or Photoshop will give you enough sharpening capability beyond that. Your glass might be a better place to spend your funds vs. a Leica (e.g. the 85 f/1.8G is crazy sharp vs. the 85 f/1.8D you have. I loved my old 80-200 f/2.8, but my 70-200 f/4 is far, far sharper).

I'd consider some photography workshops or classes too. That isn't intended as a criticism or commentary on your skills BTW - I'm a car guy, and I've always said the biggest improvement in horsepower comes from upgrading the driver.



Oct 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1      
2
       3       4       5       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password