Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

Either shoot everything at f1.4, or make like Weegee and f8 and be there.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:39 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #2 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

Often, I shoot hyperfocally. I have some figures memorized for my lenses. For instance, I know at f/5.6 (sweet spot) my Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 MP will give me sharp lower corners at 30 feet, if I focus at 60 feet. And I will get a very good sharpish horizon too. Closer lower corners means smaller aperture. I keep info like that in my head for all my non-tilt lenses, up to 120mm. Longer lenses I focus on the subject.

With enough light, that means I don't always have to work from a tripod and use live view, but I often do anyway.

Oct 08, 2013 at 02:22 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

I have a cheat somewhere for the TS lenses tilt settings.

Nowadays its faster to use live view or fire off a shot and check it if DOF is in question.

EBH

Oct 08, 2013 at 02:26 AM
aborr
• • •
p.2 #4 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

Paul Mo wrote:
Either shoot everything at f1.4, or make like Weegee and f8 and be there.

Weegee was usually shooting "up close and personal" at night with a 4x5 Speed Graphic and big flash bulbs, so I'd guess that most of the time he was at f/22 or f/32 and depth of field wasn't something he worried about too much.

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:25 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

I just guess! There are just too many variables (like final print size and viewing distance etc) to allow a scientific approach outside a studio.

Oct 08, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

aborr wrote:
Weegee was... I'd guess that most of the time he was at f/22 or f/32 and depth of field wasn't something he worried about too much.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0013109/article/f8-And-Be-There

Yup.

Oct 08, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

popinvasion wrote:
Are you a human dof calculator with your shots? I generally have a rough estimate but do get it wrong at times. This is one area where I want to improve, I want to be a more accurate shooter and shallow dof is great when you get it right.

Nah, they have apps for that, lot's of apps. Once I would have remembered a good few values, but now with LV, I can check DOF quite easily and don't worry so much.

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:07 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

Yes of course, well I use to, well kinda I like to think, lenses have markings on them if I remember correctly, well they use to, right, anyway, but then it's been four decades shooting, I'm aging as are me eyes, ya know it might be just time, seeing differently as each bit of equipment is exploited, as I've learned to judge distance, DOF, better, or it might be LV as Whayne suggests...I could be actually just lazy and guessing, winging it

I can hear my creative writing professor...sentence run-on Jerry, try better...why is she still in my head, that was three plus decades ago, yikes...and so I thus ramble on, an on, until I turn Zeppelin up...way up

Oct 09, 2013 at 06:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

justruss
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

I don't think anyone who shoots handheld (not tripod) does much if any calculation on dof. That goes for the most famous shooters out there too.

They, like everyone else (including most tripod and studio shooters), use intuition/general knowledge. Then they chimp-- or, rather, their assistants look at their tethered/wireless display.

And a side note as word of caution: I find that the hardest habit to break in photography is the one where we focus on the technical. The biggest impediment to my own personal shooting is a natural tendency to get horizons/lines flat, images sharp, and dof lined up just right. The best images I produce are the ones where I am aware of these things, but break the rules, have partially oof, obscured, or motion-blurred subjects, or when angles get funny. We spend so long learning and perfecting technique; I have to consciously remind myself to go beyond this.

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

I mostly shoot wide open (or 1 stop down), but when shooting people in small groups I am keenly aware of trying to get around (at least) f5.6-f8 as there's nothing worse than having only one person's face sharp in a group of three.

It's really only when doing tight - three friends grinning - shots that I really pay attention.

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

Yes, of course. I never take a photo unless it has precisely 0,6 cm DOF.

Oct 09, 2013 at 09:10 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #12 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

I hadn't suspected so many people took depth of field out of their picture planning. It does somewhat account for the popularity of ultra-fast lenses—using them is an easy way for someone who isn't monitoring DOF to get design into a picture, by getting rid of irrelevancies wholesale in the background blur. It's great that modern gear has made that capability widely available, and that so many people recognize its value.

I suggest, however, that there is also quite a bit more out there, and keeping some of it in focus by design can add a lot to your pictures. Working that way is a good start toward developing a more-distinctive style, too.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:40 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

splathrop wrote:
I hadn't suspected so many people took depth of field out of their picture planning. It does somewhat account for the popularity of ultra-fast lenses—using them is an easy way for someone who isn't monitoring DOF to get design into a picture, by getting rid of irrelevancies wholesale in the background blur. It's great that modern gear has made that capability widely available, and that so many people recognize its value.

I suggest, however, that there is also quite a bit more out there, and keeping some of it in focus by design can add a lot to your pictures.
...Show more

I don't see the connection between your point (which seems to be in the second paragraph) and what I've read in previous posts in this thread. Discussions of different ways (which mostly don't involve "calculation," the subject the OP raised) do not in any way negate the use of DOF for creative purposes. In fact, that was explicitly mentioned in a number of posts here.

Dan

Oct 09, 2013 at 01:49 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

For things that don't move, like landscapes, I use live view.
If not on a tripod, I go with the Monkey's method.
For people shots, where subject isolation is desired, I go with a big opening, which is dependent on what glass I have on.

The only calculation stuff I ever use or have used is the old hyper-focal charts, but now with live view, don't use em'

And for my 4x5, well, that's another story

Dan

Oct 09, 2013 at 06:33 PM
howard
• •
p.2 #15 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

No need, there is the DOF preview button.

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.2 #16 · Are you calculating dof in your head as you shoot?

I think Magic Lantern has something that shows you graphically whats in focus. Marching ants, zebras, coyotes or some critter? I noodled with it a little bit, but it didn't make sense to me.

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password