Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Flash suggestion for macro travel?

blueimage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash suggestion for macro travel?

Greetings,

I would very much appreciate the opinions of some experienced macro shooters. I have little macro experience, but will be in Madagascar for three weeks soon, and would like to refine my flash set-up to take advantage of the opportunities I missed on my last trip there. I'll be traveling with 5 lenses....covering 14mm to 560mm, including a 100mm IS macro. I'll also have a RT600EX flash and the transmitter for use on a 1DX and 5DIII.

My question is: would you experienced folks recommend taking a dedicated macro flash...like the MT-24EX, or just make do with the 600EX and some diffuser/bracket options. I'm willing to bear the weight of another flash, but only if it offers a distinct advantage, otherwise I might as well stick with the 600EX. Cost is not an really a consideration, but weight, portability and fast set-up time does come into play..... hand held shots will be the norm.

Thanks for your time and words of advise.

Jim

Verreaux Sifaka Lemur (This is as macro as I got on my last trip there)

Oct 07, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash suggestion for macro travel?

Honestly Jim I'd just use the 600ex with a diffuser -just get it close to what you are shooting to get good diffusion and short flash durations (helps to freeze motion and give you more detail). Practice with whatever setup you decide to use though -macro lighting can be tricky.

Oct 07, 2013 at 07:48 PM
blueimage
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash suggestion for macro travel?

Dalantech wrote:
Honestly Jim I'd just use the 600ex with a diffuser -just get it close to what you are shooting to get good diffusion and short flash durations (helps to freeze motion and give you more detail). Practice with whatever setup you decide to use though -macro lighting can be tricky.

Thanks for the input John. It does make sense to only take one flash - but I didn't know what the advantages would be with the MT-24. I see Wimberley makes an articulating bracket that clamps on to the acra-swiss l brackets I use, and would get the 600EX closer to subjects. I suppose many of the soft box diffusers will suffice?

Jim

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash suggestion for macro travel?

Most of the commercial soft boxes will work just fine. I really like the light quality that I use to get with the Lumiquest line.

Oct 08, 2013 at 03:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash suggestion for macro travel?

Dalantech wrote:

I agree entirely, in particular the bit about practice. Fill flash is one thing but to make flash the dominate source, and avoid double images, you need a low enough ISO and/or a small enough aperture. I swap between metered flash and fully manual to achieve this. Any calibration/practice for manual settings needs to be done in outdoor settings, as flash guide numbers (aka light intensity on the subject) are lower where the light is not reflected off e.g. walls.

I don't have dedicated flash for my camera but it would be useful. My flashes have meters but I have to lie to them about ISO or aperture to allow for magnifications factors.

Harold

Oct 08, 2013 at 06:41 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash suggestion for macro travel?

e6filmuser wrote:
I don't have dedicated flash for my camera but it would be useful. My flashes have meters but I have to lie to them about ISO or aperture to allow for magnifications factors.

Harold

I just use E-TTL metering with Canon flashes and occasionally dial in some exposure compensation.

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:02 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash suggestion for macro travel?

Dalantech wrote:
I just use E-TTL metering with Canon flashes and occasionally dial in some exposure compensation.

My OM T-Series are dedicated to OM film bodies but not to my E-P2. However, I can use the latter's -3 to +3 flash compensation as an additional control over exposure.

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password