1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2013 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard wrote:
Articulated screen? IMHO one more thing to break on a camera.

Given the "ruggedized" approach to the Pentax ... imo, the articulating screen would be counter-philosophical .

I dig the viewing angle an articulated screen can provide, but as long as there is an angle finder option available (mine is welded to the SLR/C) ... or now the wi-fi remote viewing ... a different viewing angle is still attainable. I think those who want the Pentax, as a camera built to be mighty little tank (junior 1D Series) with weather sealing, etc., for the field, can both respect and appreciate the decision of Pentax to forgo an articulated screen. I mean, do you really want to get jostled by a mob or a linebacker with your with your screen flipped ... or lose your footing on a rock/trail/stream and smack that flipped screen against a branch or the ground? Imo, not so much.

I've been in the FF camp for many reasons and don't get enthused by incremental change. 36MP on a camera built to last could well serve the next 10 years (or more). My 1D Series and SLR/C 14MP have served well (vintage 2004 era) as I still currently use the SLR/C as my main body @ 99%. Despite going from FF to APS-C ... the K3 could be a nice consolidation of rugged/speed and IQ such that I no longer choose between the 1D Series performance build vs. great detail (no AA) / color (Kodak).

Going from 8MP & 14MP to 36MP would be anything but "incremental". I could be fine with the 24MP of the K5 IIs (second body okay), but the additional features of the K3 (dual cards, etc.) are more than just some extra bells & whistles ... that is reliability enhancement. For those who want a tool they can depend on, the K3 has an appeal to it that has long been absent in the post-film world other than CaNikon pro bodies.

I just have to figure out my glass lineup (and which of my alt glass I have to say goodbye to). I think my most bothersome lenses to replace in the K mount are going to be finding a solution to replicate the 24L TS-E II and the Oly 18. If I can get that figured out, the Pentax platform could align well with my ideologies, despite the initial attraction to the A7R.

Edited on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Rusty, as you mentioned previously, you might want to rent the Pentax 15MM limited and see what you think. I see where Lensrentals offers it as a very inexpensive rental. They are also now offering the K3 for rent. I also noticed where Roger has indicated he ordered one for himself recently. Hopefully, he will chime in on what he thinks of it.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Thanks.
I took a look again at the file you shared. Definitely worth further review. Would be interesting to see K3+15mm vs. SLR/C+24L TS-E II ... only one way to find out, I suppose.

+1 @ curious to hear what Roger thinks.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

RustyBug wrote:
Given the "ruggedized" approach to the Pentax ... imo, the articulating screen would be counter-philosophical .

I dig the viewing angle an articulated screen can provide, but as long as there is an angle finder option available (mine is welded to the SLR/C) ... or now the wi-fi remote viewing ... a different viewing angle is still attainable. I think those who want the Pentax, as a camera built to be mighty little tank (junior 1D Series) with weather sealing, etc., for the field, can both respect and appreciate the decision of Pentax to forgo an articulated screen. I mean,
...Show more

I think in theory this kind of thinking certainly makes sense but I don't think it translates into real world experience. There are so many cameras with articulated screens that are used in the every way imaginable and you rarely if ever see any comments about reliability issues with the articulating screen. The E-M5, E-M1, A77, A99, NEX 6, 7, etc are all used in all kinds of difficult conditions and 4 of the 6 cameras listed are weather sealed. Of course a little bit of common sense goes a long way - you may not want the screen flipped or tilted out in a mob or when crossing a stream. With the A77 and A99 you might actually have an advantage with the screen closed and facing the camera body.

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Emacs
• •
[X]
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks.
I took a look again at the file you shared. Definitely worth further review. Would be interesting to see K3+15mm vs. SLR/C+24L TS-E II ... only one way to find out, I suppose.

FF + 24TSE will wipe it out. Just destroy it quality wise (with A7/A7r, of course: Canon sensors are really too bad nowdays).
Former pentax shooter and 15Ltd owner BTW. And if you want compact package just get NEX-6 + VL 15 instead: much better IQ with even less bulk and weight.

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

The 24TSE is going to be tough to beat if you are looking for corner to corner sharpness, no doubt about it. The 15 limited is known more for unbelievable flare resistance, amazing color and sparkling contrast as well as very good close focus ability (7 inches) for dramatic effects in a wide angle.

NEX-6 + Voigtlander 15 will not beat a Pentax K3 + 15 limited imo and experience (having owned the NEX-5 and the Voigtlander 15). The 15 limited is razor sharp wide open in the center and has noticeably more contrast than the Voigtlander. Completely different look (Think soft, subdued Olympus contrast/ color vs Zeiss where the 15 Limited renders more Zeiss like).

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:46 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Rusty, as you mentioned previously, you might want to rent the Pentax 15MM limited and see what you think. I see where Lensrentals offers it as a very inexpensive rental. They are also now offering the K3 for rent. I also noticed where Roger has indicated he ordered one for himself recently. Hopefully, he will chime in on what he thinks of it.

Try the DA14 instead, it's simply better than the 15 Limited. A lot bigger, but better, particularly at wide apertures.

Nov 12, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

mawz wrote:
Try the DA14 instead, it's simply better than the 15 Limited. A lot bigger, but better, particularly at wide apertures.

Is the DA 14 as flare resistant as the 15 and as tack sharp in the center at F4? That plus the color/ contrast are the aspects that impress me the most about the 15. Even with the small pixels of the APS 24MP sensor, that 15 is razor sharp wide open in the central part of the frame.

Btw, here is a review of the DA14 where they actually recommend the Limited 15 over it saying the 15 is sharper. I have not used the DA14 so I don't know myself.

"In general, however, we can recommend the Pentax 15mm F4 limited over the Pentax 14mm F2.8, as the 15mm is not only smaller and sharper, but also approximately $200 cheaper."

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-14mm-f28/conclusion.html

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:18 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Is the DA 14 as flare resistant as the 15 and as tack sharp in the center at F4? That plus the color/ contrast are the aspects that impress me the most about the 15. Even with the small pixels of the APS 24MP sensor, that 15 is razor sharp wide open in the central part of the frame.

Btw, here is a review of the DA14 where they actually recommend the Limited 15 over it saying the 15 is sharper. I have not used the DA14 so I don't know myself.

"In general, however, we can recommend the Pentax
...Show more

That review is at odds with every review I've seen and my own limited experience with both lenses, which was that the DA14 was sharper across the frame at wide apertures, but performance was a wash by f8. Flare resistance is probably a bit better on the DA 15 (and even better when/if there's an HD coated version).

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:39 PM
tittermary

p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

fyi the auto focus works, I have a d700 for reference. k3 is every bit as good, its different both have trade offs but I am happy with it.
this in one in a series 10-15 shots all were usable with regards to focus. Some other bif shots can be see on my 500px page as well.

oh image quality is good, very good in fact.

http://500px.com/photo/51910570

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

mawz wrote:
That review is at odds with every review I've seen and my own limited experience with both lenses, which was that the DA14 was sharper across the frame at wide apertures, but performance was a wash by f8. Flare resistance is probably a bit better on the DA 15 (and even better when/if there's an HD coated version).

Perhaps it's a matter of some sample variation at work as well. I know previously we seem to have had different experiences with some of these lenses (15 and 21 Limiteds). One thing I have noticed is that both are extremely sensitive to calibration error with the body, probably due to the extremely short focus throw (1/4 turn or less from mfd to infinity). My 21 has very even across the frame performance and decent sharpness wide open but it's not as amazingly tack sharp as the 15 I own wide open (which doesn't have exceptional across the frame performance at distance).

The HD 15 has already found it's way into a few folks hands and it turns out lacks at least one quality many preferred in the SMC 15 due to it's rounder aperture which stunts starburst effects when light sources are in the frame. Not much difference flare wise at all as the 15 SMC was already exceptional in that regard.
The example comparing both is here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/241097-pentax-da-15-hd-smc.html

Nov 12, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

johnctharp wrote:
And then there's the brief stroll through DxOMark's 'perceptual-MP' ratings of Pentax lenses. Lenses sure are cute, but sharp? Nope; only in the hands of Pentax apologists are they actually 'amazing'.

A spurious statement totally unrelated to fact. Personally I used, loved, and really miss now I have moved over to Nikon, the 77/1.8 and 43/1.9. The former being my favourite lens ever.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml

Nov 12, 2013 at 09:53 PM
tittermary

p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

mawz wrote:
There's absolutely no indication that Pentax has brought its AF tracking up to what a D7100 or 7D can do. That doesn't make it bad, just average (which is a nice improvement from bad, which is where Pentax was prior to the K-7)

well, they have imho at least as good as my d700 maybe better

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks.

I should be clear on why I ordered one: my house backs up to a pond and I keep a camera and 400mm equivalent lens right by the back door to take pictures of the daily visitors: deer, ducks, coyotes, etc. I currently use a Canon 6D and Canon 400 f/5.6 for that purpose.

I tested Pentax K3, Canon 70D and 7D, and Nikon 71000, all with 300mm f/4 lens against my 6D - 400 combination. The Pentax K3 with 300 f/4 was clearly and easily the best - so I bought it. (I tried the same test with the K5II a while back and the difference with the K3 was really impressive.)

BUT - my personal one arrives today and I haven't shot anything other than the above. But I expect to take several lenses home to play this weekend.

Roger

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Several lenses ... drool.

The 60-250 is on my radar (in lieu of my 100-300/4) as well as my strong interest in the UWA side of things. Looking at the possibility of putting together a 3,4 or 5 lens kit as my "always with me". Augmenting it with some alt glass (which would be a bit more limited of course) for special use.

15, 20-40, 60-250 would cover the range very easily for a 3 lens kit, if the IQ is there. Add a fast something and a 1.4x ... covers about all the bases a guy could run into on short notice. Just trying to discern the strengths/weakness of life with a K mount and if I can move fully off of the EF platform.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Rusty, I'd try out the 60-250 before plunking down cash. It was my first thought back when I was looking at the K5Ii but I wasn't very impressed with it. It was OK, but not as good as say a Canon 100-400.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

That's not what I really wanted to hear ... then again, it is what I want to know. I read a few folks that found some copy variation, so it will certainly be a cautious proposition before I begin moving in that direction.

Personally, I don't like handling the 100-400, but the 400/5.6 is tough to beat (might get one someday if I stay on EF) if you don't need the versatility of the zoom.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

RustyBug wrote:
Several lenses ... drool.

The 60-250 is on my radar (in lieu of my 100-300/4) as well as my strong interest in the UWA side of things. Looking at the possibility of putting together a 3,4 or 5 lens kit as my "always with me". Augmenting it with some alt glass (which would be a bit more limited of course) for special use.

15, 20-40, 60-250 would cover the range very easily for a 3 lens kit, if the IQ is there. Add a fast something and a 1.4x ... covers about all the bases a guy could run into on short
...Show more

The 15mm is an amazing little lens (creates wonderful starbursts), the 31mm must be on your list (one of the world's all time greatest lenses), my favourite fast lens on K mount is a manual focus Cosina 55/1.2 (which does amazing things to specular highlights), I'd add the 77mm (my favourite all time lens), a Sigma 150mm macro (if you can find one used in K mount) and finally the DA*300. The best TC (IMHO) for the K mount is the AFA x1.7. Voila !

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:13 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Anyone tried the Samyang 14mm or Sigma 35mm f/1.4? I'm curious since I'm familiar with both in other mounts but haven't had the option of directly comparing to Pentax, especially the 31mm.

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Damn that Limited 31. It's just so expensive, particularly since the Sigma 35 1.4 exists now (and may even be a better lens by most performance standards). Of course, I suppose the Sigma is gong to be a handful on a smaller Pentax body at twice the weight of the Limited 31. I would love to see a comparison between these two as I'm looking for a moderately fast normal for the K3 right now.

Nov 13, 2013 at 02:02 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.