Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Yea one reason why one should not buy Pentax, is Pentax fanboys. Hope its not contagious..

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.4 #2 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard wrote:
I think they will sell far more than 3. However, the sale of the K-3 will never approach that of Nikon/Canon sales due to unfamiliarity of the Pentax brand and the sheer marketing onslaught employed by Nikon/Canon. It's hard to keep up with companies who put out a new dslr every 3 months!

Yes, particularly the D400 and the 7D Mark II will be hard to... oh no! They forgot to launch the K-3 competitors

Actually, the ancient D300s is more expensive than the K-3.

Oct 09, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
Yes, particularly the D400 and the 7D Mark II will be hard to... oh no! They forgot to launch the K-3 competitors

Actually, the ancient D300s is more expensive than the K-3.

+1 Yes, at launch the K3 is the highest end APS DSLR one can buy. That was Thom Hogan's dig at Nikon.

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:26 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Mescalamba wrote:
Yea one reason why one should not buy Pentax, is Pentax fanboys. Hope its not contagious..

I certainly hope that you are NOT referring to me as I am the farthest thing from it. I just like what I use and really have no time or patience for those that are to stubborn or too lazy to see anything without a C or N in the front of the camera. I have shot with everything from a D100 to a D3 and just as many Canon bodies as well (including the MkIII that I personally sent in 3 times because it could not focus for crap!!) Sometimes people just can't afford 2-3k bodies and lenses that cost just as much. Some of us just simply have to made do with that we have....I have no problems with that.

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:44 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard wrote:
I have shot many baseball games and a few soccer game with my K-5 and Tamron 70-200 2.8. Getting action shots in focus and sharp did not seem to be an issue. IMHO if does not start with a N or a C then it's garbage right?Everyone knows exactly what I am talking about...some people just don't want to admit it.

Never said it was impossible to shoot baseball or soccer. I've shot soccer successfully with a Panasonic DMC-G1, and quite frankly an old PZ-1p would do for those uses. D300-level tracking is massive overkill for that, pretty much any DSLR of the last 10 years will do fine for those uses as long as you keep the subject under an AF point, particularly for baseball where most subject movement is very predictable.

There's absolutely no indication that Pentax has brought its AF tracking up to what a D7100 or 7D can do. That doesn't make it bad, just average (which is a nice improvement from bad, which is where Pentax was prior to the K-7)

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:27 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

mawz wrote:
Never said it was impossible to shoot baseball or soccer. I've shot soccer successfully with a Panasonic DMC-G1, and quite frankly an old PZ-1p would do for those uses. D300-level tracking is massive overkill for that, pretty much any DSLR of the last 10 years will do fine for those uses as long as you keep the subject under an AF point, particularly for baseball where most subject movement is very predictable.

There's absolutely no indication that Pentax has brought its AF tracking up to what a D7100 or 7D can do. That doesn't make it bad, just average (which is
...Show more

Well, unless someone has a production K-3 in their hands and has actually used the AF for tracking there is no point in even concluding or speculating that it's not improved. Funny you should choose the 7D and D7100 to compare it to.

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:48 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard wrote:
Well, unless someone has a production K-3 in their hands and has actually used the AF for tracking there is no point in even concluding or speculating that it's not improved. Funny you should choose the 7D and D7100 to compare it to.

While that is true, one can generally predict performance based on past performance.

And the 7D and D7100 are the closest competition to the K-3 in terms of DSLR's, so they are the obvious comparison (the D300s is far too elderly to compete, although I expect it to outperform the K-3 in terms of AF performance it is so far behind in IQ due to its elderly sensor & processing that I don't consider it a viable comparison).

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.4 #8 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

mawz wrote:
While that is true, one can generally predict performance based on past performance.

And the 7D and D7100 are the closest competition to the K-3 in terms of DSLR's, so they are the obvious comparison (the D300s is far too elderly to compete, although I expect it to outperform the K-3 in terms of AF performance it is so far behind in IQ due to its elderly sensor & processing that I don't consider it a viable comparison).

What you say bout the D300 can be said about the D7100 as well, though in other areas, like buffer size and ergonomics. One of the important reasons for buying a high end, crop sensor DSLR is for sports and other action photography. For this, the Nikon is rather useless, which is the reason many still use the D300/s.

As for your predictions about the AF performance of the Pentax, I think I'd rather listen to someone who has actually tried the camera. If past performance was the most important indicator, there would be no Nikon full frame and no Olympus phase detect AF on m4/3, but we would have seen some excellent, current Contax cameras around these days.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

I just love me some Pentax bashing....it's so funny being the oddball in the crowd....I ABSOLUTELY love it!!

Oct 10, 2013 at 04:02 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.4 #10 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

I personally think it looks like a real nice offering from Picoh/Rentax. With regards to AF tracking speed I have no idea but surely they must get there any year now - perhaps with this one? Out of APS-C dslr cameras I think this is one of the better looking ones yet, looks, ergonomics and specs.

Oct 10, 2013 at 05:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.4 #11 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Can anyone explain Pentax odd focal length on their lenses?

15mm, 21mm, 31mm, 43mm, 77mm

Even the full frame equivalent is odd.

I've always been intrigued with the Pentax SLRs. The limited lenses get rave reviews, but are they all screw drive?

Oct 10, 2013 at 06:28 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.4 #12 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Weasel_Loader wrote:

Because they are only company which is honest with the actual focal lenghts? Most companies just round the real value to closest "non-odd" value when they brand the lens.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.4 #13 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

deadwolfbones wrote:
Of the Pentax lenses I own, I'd rate them as follows:

DA 15/4 Ltd: Amazing for the right purposes, won't suit everybody
DA 21/3.2 Ltd: Okay, not great; comparable to the Oly 17/1.8 in overall IQ
FA 31/1.8 Ltd: As great as everyone says
DA 35/2.8 Ltd Macro: My favorite lens of all time
FA 43/1.9 Ltd: My favorite portrait lens; not the best in ultimate sharpness but gorgeous rendering
A 50/1.2: Good, but not great; I like my 50/1.2 Ai better
FA 77/1.8 Ltd: Incredibly sharp, beautiful bokeh, some issues with fringing

The DA55-300 is probably the best consumer zoom made, incredible for the price.

DA15/4 - one of my favourite all time lenses. Looks like it has a built-in polariser. Exceptional colours.

The DA300/4 is as sharp as ANY lens I've used including the Nikon 300/2.8 VRII.

77/1.8 is my favourite all time Pentax lens, just superb, a portrait lens par excellence.

You can get the Tokina version of the 16-50 instead, safer motor, same optics.

The 60-250/4 is a superb zoom (got to worry about the SDM motor though).

The 43/1.9 IS very sharp. Maybe your copy wasn't great - see the full shot and then 100% crop attached (I think these were on a K7 not a K5 which came later), look at the boat.

Another big favourite is the Cosina 55/1.2 .... even though I sold all my Pentax gear I still kept that one

Sorry for the horrible overcast day, my nascent processing added the slight magenta cast.

43mm full size

43mm 100% crop from near the border

Edited on Oct 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.4 #14 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Weasel_Loader wrote:

I've always been intrigued with the Pentax SLRs. The limited lenses get rave reviews, but are they all screw drive?

If I can be bothered Googling it I'm sure I could eventually find the full explanation somewhere. However I clipped this to the Together app I use (like Evernote) a few years ago :

The abstract from Jun Hirakawa's technical report...

Quote:
Abstract; This paper introduces features the titled lenses on the following items: 1) Standard and middle range telephoto lenses for a 35 mm single-lens reflex cameras sold by Pentax, 2) design concept and performance; unique expression with high quality picture, 3) exterior; machined aluminum body to provide high grade sense, 4) focal length; 43 mm (diagonal length of 35 mm size film) and 77 mm (lucky number among 70-80 mm), respectively, 5) both AF and MF operation possible, 6) helicoid screw at focus part provides torque feeling, 7) realization of smooth AF operation by a little reduced gear ratio of drive unit and 8) lens aberration compensation; priority to practical photographs expression than numerical evaluation.
In other words Hirakawa didn't give a crap about MTF... he just wanted good pictures.

BTW the 3 amigos have been described by the Editor of one of the USA's top photography magazines (I've clipped this somewhere as well) as 3 of the best lenses ever made (I think the 31 was #1) - and they truly do give simply amazing rendering, clarity, contrast and excellent sharpness. They have pixie dust sprinkled liberally upon their tiny (well, small) bodies.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.4 #15 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Really nice shot there.

Having used the Nikon 70-300VR, I'd have to say it's better than the 55-300. But it's surprisingly close between the two, and the Pentax has the extra reach.

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.4 #16 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
Because they are only company which is honest with the actual focal lenghts? Most companies just round the real value to closest "non-odd" value when they brand the lens.

15 and 21mm is normal. You can have same from Zeiss or Leica.

31mm is interesting, but then again, some 28mm lens are closer to 30mm. I assume (maybe Im wrong), that they made it cause diagonal of APS-C is about 29mm, so 31mm is pretty much "perfectly normal".

43mm is spot on normal on FF (43mm is diagonal of 36x24 sensor). In reality it works rather well.

77mm.. Im clueless about that one frankly. Tho, its nice lens on FF.

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Well, I guess I was wrong to believe the supposed "confirmation" of the sensor being from Toshiba in a post by the Pentaxforums admin. Turns out, his "confirmation" source was a post on DpReview! Lesson learned.

SR (Sonyrumors) says it's the older Sony sensor as used in the A77/ NEX7 while a few others are claiming it's actually a brand new Sony 24MP APS sensor. I'm now really curious what sensor is used...and if it's an older gen or newer.

Oct 10, 2013 at 04:29 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Well, I guess I was wrong to believe the supposed "confirmation" of the sensor being from Toshiba in a post by the Pentaxforums admin. Turns out, his "confirmation" source was a post on DpReview! Lesson learned.

SR (Sonyrumors) says it's the older Sony sensor as used in the A77/ NEX7 while a few others are claiming it's actually a brand new Sony 24MP APS sensor. I'm now really curious what sensor is used...and if it's an older gen or newer.

If it's an older one then shame on Ricoh....they need to be taking a step forwards, not backwards.

Oct 10, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard wrote:
If it's an older one then shame on Ricoh....they need to be taking a step forwards, not backwards.

Yes, if it's the older Sony used, I'm not going to be too happy. Pentax/ Ricoh would have to pull quite a miracle off to bring that sensor up to even the level of the Sony 16MP sensor in the K5.

Oct 10, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.4 #20 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Aehm..

..NEX-7 sensor would be if it wasnt Sony who used it at least as good as one in D7100, so I dont get what you are talking about.

Most likely K-3 will have output rather similar to D7100, if not better.

Of course if you expected same quality as from 16 mpix sensor, then you need to repeat some lessons in physics.

Oct 10, 2013 at 08:06 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password