Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

EOS20
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard wrote:
I'll take that bet.

K3 has 27 AF Points with 20 Cross Type Points, D7100 has 51 Points with 15 Cross Type Points.

K3 should do well, maybe not quite as good as the D7100, but a nice improvement over the K5's 11 Point 9 Cross Type Point AF system.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Some official full size samples from final firmware:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3/ex/

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:03 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

EOS20 wrote:

K3 has 27 AF Points with 20 Cross Type Points, D7100 has 51 Points with 15 Cross Type Points.

K3 should do well, maybe not quite as good as the D7100, but a nice improvement over the K5's 11 Point 9 Cross Type Point AF system.

25, not 20.

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:10 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Pretty Cool technology, nice to see that Pentax came out with it, although the article did say Nikon is also attacking the problem in a slightly different way.
I shoot Canon now, but my first and second SLR's were both Pentax, and they have always impressed me with there designs, and the fact there not afraid to go out and make a change, whereas both Canon and Nikon both have there "fan" base to worry about, and the changes they make might not be well taken.
Way to go Pentax !

Oct 08, 2013 at 04:49 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Thom Hogan of Nikon land on the K3: "Meet the Pentax D400" Ouch!

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/meanwhile-meet-the-pentax.html

Oct 08, 2013 at 05:17 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Thom Hogan of Nikon land on the K3: "Meet the Pentax D400" Ouch!

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/meanwhile-meet-the-pentax.html

Oct 08, 2013 at 05:33 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Pentax K3 has been added to the Camera size website:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#485,372

Oct 08, 2013 at 07:00 PM
artur5
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Bsmooth wrote:
Pretty Cool technology, nice to see that Pentax came out with it, although the article did say Nikon is also attacking the problem in a slightly different way.
I shoot Canon now, but my first and second SLR's were both Pentax, and they have always impressed me with there designs, and the fact there not afraid to go out and make a change, whereas both Canon and Nikon both have there "fan" base to worry about, and the changes they make might not be well taken.
Way to go Pentax !

You mean Ricoh

Oct 08, 2013 at 07:48 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

EOS20 wrote:

Numbers on a stat sheet are only part of the equation. A big part is the underlying AF algorithm, both inside the camera itself and in coordinations with the lens. I don't expect Ricoh to have magically caught up to Nikon at this point. I would love to be wrong, though.

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Mr.Lindy
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

I've still got Pentax lenses, kept them after I went full frame elsewhere.

Not sure if K-3 is "BURNSAUCE"

Pentax AF 80-400 doesn't exist.

Pentax AF 500 f4 does not exist

Heck a AF 1.4x & AF 2x Pentax does not exist

Etc...

K-3 is a very positive move.
Just 12 years after Pentax full frame was announced & remains vaporware.

Pentax unlike Nikon & Canon rely on companies like Sigma & Tamron to fill the decades old holes in Pentax lenslineup.

I'm intrigued by K-3, though I know no one will stock it locally.
I'll have to buy online to touch it, test drive & I just may do that.

Oct 08, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

W.T. Jones
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

mawz wrote:
Expect AF-C to be on par with the E-M1 or worse and well behind the Sony A77 or the Nikon D7100. Pentax is simply not the brand you buy for shooting anything which requires fast AF (accuracy on the other hand is something Pentax has been good at of late).

Thanks mawz,

Oct 08, 2013 at 11:35 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

mawz wrote:
Expect AF-C to be on par with the E-M1 or worse and well behind the Sony A77 or the Nikon D7100. Pentax is simply not the brand you buy for shooting anything which requires fast AF (accuracy on the other hand is something Pentax has been good at of late).

How can you say that? Do you have a K-3 that you have already tested against Canon or Nikon? Really? Seems we have way too many Pentax haters in the house?

Oct 08, 2013 at 11:47 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Too little, too late?
I personally cannot see me purchasing an APS-C DSLR from any of the players.
I am greatly enjoying the use of my FujiFilm X-E1 !

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:00 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard wrote:
How can you say that? Do you have a K-3 that you have already tested against Canon or Nikon? Really? Seems we have way too many Pentax haters in the house?

It's not Pentax haters- it's non-Pentax users that are intrigued by highlights of their recent efforts, only to be turned off before the end of the spec-sheet, if not by the end of the first review.

Awesome compact cameras with incredible build quality and weather-sealed economy zooms? But it can't focus on action for crap?

And then there's the brief stroll through DxOMark's 'perceptual-MP' ratings of Pentax lenses. Lenses sure are cute, but sharp? Nope; only in the hands of Pentax apologists are they actually 'amazing'.

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

I dont hate any brand. I dont like them all about same. Cause they never do what I want. (j/k)

Apart from that, Pentax FF Limited lens look rather nice converted on for example A99 (very nice sample gallery on Flickr somewhere). But I couldnt pick any lens for their crop camera. They are simply not good enough, or downright tragic.

Understand that our little alternative crowd is quite a bit more demanding than anyone else. Blame Leica and Zeiss for spoiling us (and they were not only ones). In other non-alternative worlds, where I sometimes visit Im often not believing what others can think as "good/great lens".

Pentax makes nice sturdy cameras which can be sometimes shown as example of ergonomics. Very photocentric (or photographer centric). What they dont make right is AF. They actually never did. What they dont do much right today is colors. And RAW denoising is something I really really dont like. Plus despite what DxOmark says, that DR isnt that good.

That said, if I dont mind K-3 is still APS-C, it seems as step towards right direction. Even colors reminds me more of K20D than previous models (that was last one where I was fond of colors).

Btw. I found Samsung made sensors to provide much better output in things that are important to me, than newer Sony ones. Friend bought some longer time ago Pentax K100D, ancient camera, but its most likely Samsung based CCD. And man that thing did have colors (tho frankly Samsung own clones had even better ones). Great contrast too and noise was suprisingly low for 6 mpix CCD (actually its overall better output than my KM-7D). On negative side, its AF is terrible and it eats batteries like nothing.. But that output, thats something I would love to see with more Mpix and bit more DR.

Tho I doubt I will. Even 645D seems to have bit strange colors. I cant put my finger on whats wrong exactly with Pentax colors, but they just dont seem right (at least not anything newer than K20D).

Btw. I dont have anything against Pentax, just those listed things are things that Im not happy with.

But I have no problem imagining me buying K-3, getting different focusing screen, maybe full-silvered mirror and using some nice Leica R lenses. Well actually there is trouble, cause its still that f*king APS-C. Give us FF please!

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:32 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Of the Pentax lenses I own, I'd rate them as follows:

DA 15/4 Ltd: Amazing for the right purposes, won't suit everybody
DA 21/3.2 Ltd: Okay, not great; comparable to the Oly 17/1.8 in overall IQ
FA 31/1.8 Ltd: As great as everyone says
DA 35/2.8 Ltd Macro: My favorite lens of all time
FA 43/1.9 Ltd: My favorite portrait lens; not the best in ultimate sharpness but gorgeous rendering
A 50/1.2: Good, but not great; I like my 50/1.2 Ai better
FA 77/1.8 Ltd: Incredibly sharp, beautiful bokeh, some issues with fringing

Most of the consumer zooms are ok to crap, but that's the case for any company. The DA* 16-50 is a bit unfortunate for a "pro" lens but the DA* 50-135 is brilliant.

I've also owned the DA 40/2.8 (unique, excellent performer), DA 10-17 FE (unlike anything else on the market), DA 18-135 (about as good as other brands' all-in-one kit lenses), and DA 55-300 (not bad at all).

And the DR is that good. Quite amazing, really. Under the right circumstances I can recover a shot at -5EV comp to total usability.

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:55 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard wrote:

I've owned the *istD, *istDS (two), K100D, K10D and K-r, and tried the K-7 and K-5 out seriously. I'm in fact a major fan of Pentax's DSLR's (their lens line on the other hand is not to my taste, I've been unimpressed by the DA* zooms and the DA Limiteds trade off too much lens speed for compactness, I'd have preferred slightly larger lenses in the f1.8-2.5 range instead of smaller lenses in the f2.4-3.2 range). Note I was in fact perfectly happy with the AF performance from Pentax, it's all I need for my uses, it was the lens lineup that kept me unsatisfied (and now mirrorless gives me a better option for my uses than Pentax DSLR's)

I'm pretty much speaking from experience on the AF side. Pentax AF was awful for a long time, they finally started to get a handle on that with the K-7, but Pentax preferred accurate AF to fast AF. The K-5 and K-5 II have extremely accurate AF, but their tracking performance remains poor (it doesn't help that the SDM motors remain slow). I expect more of the same from the K-3, with notable improvements but still behind the fastest in class. I'm expecting AF-C performance comparable to a D200 or D90 (which is by all reasonable reports about where the E-M1 is). That would be an improvement for Pentax while still being a realistic improvement. I expect AF-S performance to be a lot closer to state of the art, but once again biasing towards accuracy over speed.

Oct 09, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

The color I see out of my K5 is right up there with the older Sony A900 I owned. That and the DR are actually why I use the K5. The color being better than most other FF cameras I have owned and the DR not too far off from my RX1. I am concerned though that some of that DR may be lost in the K3 so I am anxious to see it tested properly.

I really love Pentax lenses myself. There is just something special about the color and textual rendering that really sets them apart. The classic, older MF lenses are my favorites (K28 3.5, K50 Macro, A50 1.7, A85 1.4) though I seem to have gotten lucky with the two APS lenses I own, the 15 and 21 Ltd's. Both are sharp but the 21 is exceptional at any distance while the 15 is not quite as sharp into the corners at distance (which I sort of expect may be due to the K5 AA filter so I am curious to see how it performs on a K3 or even a Sony A7r).

Oct 09, 2013 at 01:23 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

johnctharp wrote:
It's not Pentax haters- it's non-Pentax users that are intrigued by highlights of their recent efforts, only to be turned off before the end of the spec-sheet, if not by the end of the first review.

Awesome compact cameras with incredible build quality and weather-sealed economy zooms? But it can't focus on action for crap?

And then there's the brief stroll through DxOMark's 'perceptual-MP' ratings of Pentax lenses. Lenses sure are cute, but sharp? Nope; only in the hands of Pentax apologists are they actually 'amazing'.

I have shot many baseball games and a few soccer game with my K-5 and Tamron 70-200 2.8. Getting action shots in focus and sharp did not seem to be an issue. IMHO if does not start with a N or a C then it's garbage right?Everyone knows exactly what I am talking about...some people just don't want to admit it.

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:19 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The color I see out of my K5 is right up there with the older Sony A900 I owned. That and the DR are actually why I use the K5. The color being better than most other FF cameras I have owned and the DR not too far off from my RX1. I am concerned though that some of that DR may be lost in the K3 so I am anxious to see it tested properly.

I really love Pentax lenses myself. There is just something special about the color and textual rendering that really sets them apart. The classic,
...Show more

I loved the DR of my K-5 and I am thinking about selling my K-30 and going to the K-5II. I really miss the handling of the K-5 body. The Limited's are awesome, I had the 35 macro for some time and wow did it amaze me.

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:21 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password