Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

treebeard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

If it performs as well as I am hoping then it will be awesome. I want one.

Oct 07, 2013 at 02:32 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

molson wrote:
Does the numeral "3" in the name indicate how many they expect to sell?

It looks like Pentax have already sold the 3 K3's

Oct 07, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

DpReview has their first impressions review up:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/07/shaking-up-the-market-pentax-k-3-first-impressions-review?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

"First impressions review.."

Is it review or first impressions? Anyone else thinks its a bit stupid to name it like that?

On positive side, it was pretty fast.

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:24 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

"First Impressions Review" = glance at spec sheet, form impressions. Though if anyone actually has a K-3 in-hand it's gonna be dpreview.

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Mr.Lindy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Looks like $1297 Body Only in black, & they've got other options with various lenses including a couple plastic mounts & a silver body w/grip in Retro 1990's silver color all delivered "Nov 1st 2013":

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007545-REG/pentax_15530_k_3_dslr_camera.html

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Mr.Lindy wrote:
Looks like $1297 Body Only in black, & they've got other options with various lenses including a couple plastic mounts & a silver body w/grip in Retro 1990's silver color all delivered "Nov 1st 2013":

WHAT!! No pink?!!

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Mescalamba wrote:
"First impressions review.."

Is it review or first impressions? Anyone else thinks its a bit stupid to name it like that?

On positive side, it was pretty fast.

Yeah, pretty weak but they will be adding to it little by little.

A better first impressions is probably here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-3-flagship-announced.html#more

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:48 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

We'll have to see about how well SAFOX 11 performs, but if it's anywhere near on par with the D7100's system it should be a strong competitor

Don't bet on it.

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:52 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

EOS20 wrote:
From the Pentax K3 website:

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/K-3_Limited_Edition_Silver

Selectable Anti-Aliasing Filter:

Enjoy the world’s first selectable anti-aliasing filter, giving the user the ability to easily toggle anti-aliasing functionality on or off, for supreme resolution and zero limitations. This breakthrough technology eliminates the need to commit to either supreme resolution or superior moiré control, by providing both options in a single camera body. Newly developed for the K-3, the anti-aliasing simulator* applies microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the subpixel level during image exposure, generating the same level of moiré-reduction effect as an optical anti-aliasing filter. * This function is most effective with
...Show more

That's pretty cool. I read elsewhere that it was a AA-filter in the firmware which lead me to think that it was just a software filter.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

EOS20 wrote:
From the Pentax K3 website:

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/K-3_Limited_Edition_Silver

Selectable Anti-Aliasing Filter:

Enjoy the world’s first selectable anti-aliasing filter, giving the user the ability to easily toggle anti-aliasing functionality on or off, for supreme resolution and zero limitations. This breakthrough technology eliminates the need to commit to either supreme resolution or superior moiré control, by providing both options in a single camera body. Newly developed for the K-3, the anti-aliasing simulator* applies microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the subpixel level during image exposure, generating the same level of moiré-reduction effect as an optical anti-aliasing filter. * This function is most effective with
...Show more
Most cameras have this feature as well. It's called mirror vibration Kidding aside it sounds pretty cool. I wonder how/if they're able to control the precision of vibration so that it's limited to the frequencies near nyquist, like how a well-designed traditional AA filter is expected to work.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

snapsy wrote:
I wonder how/if they're able to control the precision of vibration so that it's limited to the frequencies near nyquist, like how a well-designed traditional AA filter is expected to work.

That's what I'm also curious about.

Sounds like Pentax has gone with the Toshiba 24MP sensor, just like Nikon. I guess that's good news as it seems to perform better than the older Sony 24MP APS sensor as used on the NEX-7.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:29 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

cputeq wrote:
Don't bet on it.

I'll take that bet.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Well, Imaging-Resource has posted a really nice hands on article with a thorough geek lovers investigation into the new switchable Pentax LPF/AA filter technology:

"During the exposure, the anti-shake actuators oscillate the sensor assembly in either a circular or linear pattern, shifting back and forth a pixel or less in each direction. It thus does pretty much exactly what a conventional LPF system does, but without all the optical complexity -- and it can be turned on or off at will."

It seems amazing this can be controlled down to the pixel level.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3/pentax-k3A.HTM#pentaxaa

Oct 08, 2013 at 02:14 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Ah, so as I hoped, now just hope that accuracy will last.. dunno at least 3 years?

Otherwise, not so amazing. Ever heard of Hasselblad multishot backs? 50 mpix back which does pixel shifts and result is 200 mpix image.

Obviously if Pentax used brain a bit more, they could do the same.

Oct 08, 2013 at 02:34 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Mescalamba wrote:
Ah, so as I hoped, now just hope that accuracy will last.. dunno at least 3 years?

Otherwise, not so amazing. Ever heard of Hasselblad multishot backs? 50 mpix back which does pixel shifts and result is 200 mpix image.

Obviously if Pentax used brain a bit more, they could do the same.

Yes, the possibility that Pentax might do that was brought up prior to the K3 release over at Pentaxforums.

Oct 08, 2013 at 03:06 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-3/239050-pentax-k-3-hands-sample-photos.html

Oct 08, 2013 at 03:35 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Well, Imaging-Resource has posted a really nice hands on article with a thorough geek lovers investigation into the new switchable Pentax LPF/AA filter technology:

"During the exposure, the anti-shake actuators oscillate the sensor assembly in either a circular or linear pattern, shifting back and forth a pixel or less in each direction. It thus does pretty much exactly what a conventional LPF system does, but without all the optical complexity -- and it can be turned on or off at will."

It seems amazing this can be controlled down to the pixel level.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3/pentax-k3A.HTM#pentaxaa

"Bottom line. It's not often that we label an imaging technology "revolutionary", but if ever one deserved to be called such, this is it. It's a fundamentally different approach to anti-aliasing, and one that appears to have surprisingly few downsides associated with it. For the first time ever, there's a camera on the market that lets the end-user decide when they want a low-pass filter, and when they don't, with little apparent penalty regardless of their choice. And it was Pentax that brought it to us."

Wow.

Oct 08, 2013 at 03:50 AM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

I have been looking for a new camera to shoot youth hockey games with. I have sold all my Canon gear and have been using the Fuji x cameras with some success for about a year now. But the Fuji-X cameras fall short in the Ice Hockey Action Department. This one looks interesting with a Pentax 60-250mm f/4 zoom. The pricing looks pretty good & the body has some features that one would find only on the "pro" cameras from other makers. I will be watching this one. especially to see how the AF works.

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:45 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Ricoh reveals 24MP Pentax K-3 IS DSLR

W.T. Jones wrote:
I have been looking for a new camera to shoot youth hockey games with. I have sold all my Canon gear and have been using the Fuji x cameras with some success for about a year now. But the Fuji-X cameras fall short in the Ice Hockey Action Department. This one looks interesting with a Pentax 60-250mm f/4 zoom. The pricing looks pretty good & the body has some features that one would find only on the "pro" cameras from other makers. I will be watching this one. especially to see how the AF works.

Expect AF-C to be on par with the E-M1 or worse and well behind the Sony A77 or the Nikon D7100. Pentax is simply not the brand you buy for shooting anything which requires fast AF (accuracy on the other hand is something Pentax has been good at of late).

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password