Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Experience after my first bike event.

khwaja
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experience after my first bike event.

i shot my first race event on sunday.
Nikon D800, 14mm, 35mm, 100mm, 200mm. all manual focus primes. i had a very hard time >.<
Though thank god for being able to do 3x cropping.

I was shooting for a team, so Raw + small jpeg.

when i had to zoom in to check the focus, i was only able to view a part of the image... the upper left half...
is this a known bug?

Oct 07, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experience after my first bike event.

Was this a m/c road race event? If it was, most times the access is so limited for safety reasons that it is hard to get close to the action.

I have no idea why you could only zoom into the upper left half. None of my Nikons perform like that.

Good luck.

Oct 07, 2013 at 05:51 PM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experience after my first bike event.

This was the final event of the National Racing Championship and a few other one make races.

i had this problem before then forgot about it.

Oct 07, 2013 at 09:01 PM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experience after my first bike event.

I can't duplicate your problem and have never seen it, but these cameras are turning into powerful computers, and computers are not always predictable even though they should be the definition of it :-)

I've never had a single issue with my D800 until the other day when I noticed the LCD did not turn off when I switched the camera off like usual. Like that for a little while, now will probably never happen again.

Seems a strange combination, the stellar AF engine of the D800 with only MF lenses for shooting action!

Oct 08, 2013 at 02:49 AM
jyo1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experience after my first bike event.

I've shot LOTS of motorcycle road racing events---started with MF film cameras (way back when)---really tough to get a bunch of keepers with manual focus---it can be done with lots of practice---but I far prefer AFS VR lens for this work. I am currently using a D7100 and the 70-300 VR lens with great results (I do get photo passes, so I am closer than most will get). I've also used the older 80-400 VR, but sold it---looking for the newer AFS VR 80-400---will get one before next season starts.
All I can say is stick with it---get some AF/AFS lens (the 70-300 VR is pretty cheap and there are lots of slightly used ones out there). It will get easier with practice---good luck...

Oct 14, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Stdon
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Experience after my first bike event.

I shoot MotoGP, off road GP scrambles, sprint boats and other hi-speed sports.
I back in the day shot night stock car racing with a 4X5 but that was a long time ago.

The last several years I've used a D1X, D700, D700 and now a D800. Glass has been a 70/200 VR sometimes with a 1.7 or a 200/400. Never had the problem you're talking about.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.