Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              29       30       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

hiepphotog wrote:
A quote on his front page (free content): "No veiling haze, no purple fringes, no uneven sharpness. One gets used to this, and then most other lenses feel disappointing by comparison, though some like the 135/2 APO-Sonnar approach the same level."

I am not sure I believe that. Even one of the shots from the lens paraded around the shows had some apparent purple fringing. A lot less than any other fast 50 I can think of, but still some. The laws of physics will continue to hold.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:08 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

I guess I am the only person here for whom the look of this lens feels more attractive with time?

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:34 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

hiepphotog wrote:
If you don't mind paying for the subscription, Lloyd Chambers should have all the shots you're looking for. He has been shooting with the prototype for a month....

That statement does not address the question about long CA/Spherochromatism so not sure why you mentioned it.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

carstenw wrote:
I guess I am the only person here for whom the look of this lens feels more attractive with time?

Not that I'd ever buy this thing, but I actually love the design, it reminds me of yellow stitching on leather sports car seats

haha the dyslectic in me kept reading "outs" instead of "otus", which sounded sort of like "ouch" in latin or something

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:51 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

That statement does not address the question about long CA/Spherochromatism so not sure why you mentioned it.

LoCA alone is not the cause of spherochromatism. Spherical aberration causes veiling haze. And Lloyd's PF means primary (in focus) LoCA. Combined effect of these two aberrations is spherochromatism. Pretty sure that mean you can expect no to low level.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:00 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

carstenw wrote:
I am not sure I believe that. Even one of the shots from the lens paraded around the shows had some apparent purple fringing. A lot less than any other fast 50 I can think of, but still some. The laws of physics will continue to hold.

Carsten, that statement is definitely a bit overstated and a bit generalized. In his actual test, he definitely found some, but overall, compared to other fast 50, it's quite right in this context. It's not that any APO lens out there is free of this problem (well the Coastal one is 2-stop slower and much more expensive).

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:05 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

hiepphotog wrote:
LoCA alone is not the cause of spherochromatism. Spherical aberration causes veiling haze. And Lloyd's PF means primary (in focus) LoCA. Combined effect of these two aberrations is spherochromatism. Pretty sure that mean you can expect no to low level.

Lo/CA and spherochromatism (a spherical aberration) are often confused and described interchangeably. I'm not sure if that is just because they manifest in similar effects or results, but they are different, to the best of my knowledge, but I'm not an optical engineer. My point however is that being 'pretty sure' is not worth a pinch of shit, pardon my French. You seem to be making assumptions that things are OK, and I prefer not to do that. I'd prefer to see examples. I don't suspect that it is an issue with the Zeiss, in fact I suspect it is NOT an issue, but I prefer to see the tests instead of having blind faith.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:22 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Not actually assuming anything. I actually looked at his tests and comparisons to other 50s. Also, you seem to think that spherochromatism is just spherical aberration even though it's not. It's the combined effect of both LoCA (on axis, in focus aberration) and spherical aberration (most noticeable as veiling haze). And there is no need to use your French. I tried to point you to the right source. But if you prefer not, then I'll not engage in this conversation any further.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Is there really a huge demand for a colossal 2.2lb 55mm f/1.4 named Otus that sells for $4000? The darn thing weighs almost as much as a Leica M with the 50mm f/2 ASPH APO attached.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Ι wouldnt call it huge but a few MF shooters will certainly be tempted, and it would save them heaps in $ and weight

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dalegaspi
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

carstenw wrote:

it looks good...however the build quality seems like a notch below the current DSLR line if the Touit line is any indication. The Camera Store showed in their video review how they're able to rip it apart rather easily.

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:01 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Spyro P. wrote:
Ι wouldnt call it huge but a few MF shooters will certainly be tempted, and it would save them heaps in $ and weight

But, of course, no matter what, this lens can't change a FF 35 sensor into a MF sensor no matter how good it is. Even on the D800E, the sample images have a certain "thinness" to them that reveals they are from a smaller format. The wide open portrait shot is the only one I see that comes close to looking sort of MF like. All of the others look like small format. I don't know how well "sort of MF on a budget" is going to play for Zeiss overall.

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:05 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Spyro P. wrote:

By MF, do you mean Manual Focus or Medium Format? If the latter, I'm not following you. This optic isn't going to convince anyone shooting a larger format to drop down to 35mm. Moreover, it doesn't even necessarily save you weight over some MF systems. A Leica 70mm f/2.5 Summarit for the S-system weighs a little over a pound and a half, costs only $1000 more, and has an AF motor! Granted it's slower than Otus, but it is also feeding light to a much larger S-series sensor. By contrast, Otus is feeding a 35mm sensor, but it weighs almost twice as much as a Canon 50mm f/1.2 (which is even faster, feeding the same size of sensor, and has AF).

Otus may be interesting proof-of-concept in the attainment of absolute optical performance at all costs, but who is the target market? At least Leica's 50mm APO ASPH is tiny and high performance.

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:21 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

j.liam wrote:
A $4000, 1kg ber-corrected MF lens is nice and fine but as Zeiss elaborates on its own website, accurate focus for these fast lenses are seriously hampered by the utterly inadequate focusing screens in current AF cameras, as well as the absence of after-market options because new pro bodies won't allow the swap any longer. The D800 and 5DIII are deliberately disabled in this way, compared with the D700 and 5DII.

Unless these new behemoths (this is the first of several in the series) are intended for studio + live view or video use only, I can understand the desire
...Show more

The Canon 6D and 1-Series cameras still have replaceable screens and the D700 only had third party replaceable screens, so the situation really hasn't changed much at all. Canon still makes several replaceable screens for their high end cameras and the E series screens for their lowest priced FF camera. With the low spherical aberrations of this lens, it will probably be quite easy to focus with a good matte screen,

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:24 AM
dthrog00
• •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

carstenw wrote:
For me the 50P is far more attractive for almost all uses, other than macro, and perhaps portrait. I think this is a preference-based choice, not a fact-based one.

Carsten,

I'm interested to hear you prefer the 50 MP for portrait use, don't macro lenses expose a few too many flaws for most subjects to use for portraits?

Dave

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:26 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

AhamB wrote:
"Otus"...

I don't really get why they feel the need for such exotic names for the product line, but whatever.

Because it has crisp vision even wide open like an owl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Tariq, I dont know how many people can notice thinness or are even concerned by it, but they are all certainly concerned with detail, and will gladly take the cash savings and all the other advantages that come with 35mm (if satisfied with the results). I think the main risk in that case is having a customer start telling you about the Nikon D800 he wants to buy for his wife, which sort of kills off your professional image (pun intended)

Edited on Oct 08, 2013 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

carstenw wrote:

Nah, thats just cause you saw sample pics and now you have that output linked to this lens.

Yea it did become much nicer after samples.

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:29 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

performance does seem to be pretty amazing, better extreme FF corner than dead center at f/1.4 than the canon 50 1.4 and zeiss 1.4 50mm.

but man $4000

with today's terrible view finders not having AF is rough, it will lose a lot of sales because of lack of AF for that extreme price, despite it being a marvelous optic

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:29 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

snapsy wrote:
Looks very sharp wide-open, almost like a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART

and even better since it is APO and the sigma has some, if not an extreme amount, of longitudinal CA

Oct 08, 2013 at 01:31 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password