p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

4k for a 1kg normal? Come on guys...really

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:18 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

snapsy wrote:
The 50MP is a great lens but its performance at infinity in the extreme corners is not its strong suit. It must be stopped down beyond f/8 for those to clean up.

My experience is that 5.6 is sufficient for very sharp corners.

Edited on Oct 07, 2013 at 11:26 AM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Just got an add for the lens from Adorama and the price is listed as $3,990. So at least at introduction it looks like $4,000 is the price. It will be interesting to see what the price settles at, but my guess is around $3,500

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

snapsy wrote:
The 50MP is a great lens but its performance at infinity in the extreme corners is not its strong suit. It must be stopped down beyond f/8 for those to clean up.

On my copy, the corners are very good by f/4, and by f/5.6 they are excellent. At any rate, at infinity focus I almost always stop down to at least f/5.6.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:23 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
On my copy, the corners are very good by f/4, and by f/5.6 they are excellent. At any rate, at infinity focus I almost always stop down to at least f/5.6.

I've had or seen three copies and all they all performed the same with respect to the extreme corners. Keep in mind I'm talking about the very extreme corners, those last few maybe 100 pixels. Here's a full-sized 50MP ZE image at f/8 on a 5DM2 to demonstrate. Look at the extreme bottom left corner of the image at the rocks.

Photo

The effect is more pronounced on a D800 using a ZF. I believe it's caused by field curvature at infinity.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:37 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Mescalamba wrote:
+ optical part is nothing short of amazing

0 bit strange rendering/draw

- 2.2 pounds is far from convenient or amazing
- its huge

Now, how Leica managed to put same performance in rather small M 50/2 AA?

Agreed. There seems to be a tendency for larger and larger lenses (at least for SLR's), which I find discouraging.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:39 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Steve Spencer wrote:
Just got an add for the lens from Adorama and the price is listed as $3,990. So at least at introduction it looks like $4,000 is the price. It will be interesting to see what the price settles at, but my guess is around $3,500

In a year from now the first second hand copies will show up at about 2000 euros (wishful thinking?).

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:43 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

There will always be an additional cost for miniaturizing. Leica is pretty much limited on size because of the RF. And I would not call this lens has the same performance as the Cron 50 AA; it's actually better (veiling flare is the most noticeable one). And if you are willing to pay an additional $3000 to get a slower, but smaller version, then you know why Leica can manage to do such thing. This Otus is clearly not for the mass in price, size, weight and even physical design. But there will be a small niche market that wouldn't care about such thing. I know I will get the WA version of this.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Almass
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

I always get perplexed with the launch of a new lens by having people oohing and aahing how fantastic it is e.g. Sigma 35/1.4 and other people trashing the lens.

I don't mind either way as long as whomever does the so called testing is not economical with the truth.

Let us have a look at what we know so far:

1- It is an ugly lens
2- It is a heavy lens with a Nikon or Canon full frame bodies
3- It is an expensive lens
4- Do I expect sharpness. I sure do
5- Do I expect nice Bokeh. Yeps
6- Do I expect color IQ. You bet your bottom dollar I do
7- Does the test available confirm the expectations. It kind of does!!!! with a lot of reservation.

So what gives? What gives is this is exactly what I expect from a $4000 lens and this is what I get from the top CaNikon 50's in all their variations ...to some extent at a lower price point.

What would be the litmus test with a lens with a trillion coating and triple bypass quality control and more specifically layers upon layers of APO corrected glass.
I would like to see a long shot of lights illuminating a street and a close up of the light as to how they are rendered whether cat eyes or more towards a circle. Call it Ca CM CI or whatever Cee you like.

Until then, wake me up when someone bother to do a "real" test of this lens preferably a side by side test and not a "pay as you shoot" lens test.

Edited on Oct 07, 2013 at 12:15 PM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

How do you think the current "top CaNikon 50's in all their variations" got here to be "top"? It is because someone pushed the limits of design and technology some 40/50/80 years ago. Progress doesn't happen in a snap. Cutting edge releases are always priced at a premium (for obvious reasons). 20 years hence, we may find the then "top CaNikons" coopting some of this technology and making it available more widely at reasonable prices. I don't know why people expect the latest and greatest to come cheap.

r

Almass wrote:
I always get perplexed with the launch of a new lens by having people oohing and aahing how fantastic it is e.g. Sigma 35/1.4 and other people trashing the lens.

I don't mind either way as long as whomever does the so called testing is not economical with the truth.

Let us have a look at what we know so far:

1- It is an ugly lens
2- It is a heavy lens with a Nikon or Canon full frame bodies
3- It is an expensive lens
4- Do I expect sharpness. I sure do
5- Do I expect nice Bokeh. Yeps
6- Do I expect color IQ.
...Show more

Oct 07, 2013 at 12:24 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

I want this lens so very, very badly.

fwiw I have the 50MP and this lens is priced at ~1.5x as much as ALL of my camera stuff combined and it's a size/weight monster and I STILL want it. I think 4k is a bargain for this lens and if you dont feel that way then thank you very much I will take as little competition for a used copy as is humanly possible.

I wonder what the image circle is like...

Oct 07, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Here is their promo video:

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:19 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Some Sample Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlzeisslenses/sets/72157635236491881/

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:35 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is their promo video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/CNj7B4mH4aM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The attempt at humor towards the end was pretty funny.

Turns out that yellow color for the type is used for easier low-light shooting.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

EOS20 wrote:
Some Sample Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlzeisslenses/sets/72157635236491881/

Nice HUGE full size samples from a D800E. Sweet.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:47 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Mescalamba wrote:
- strange name is understatement (funny enough, it means "Creature" in Finnish)

Ha, the new Otus by Zeiss...

Indeed "Otus" stands for "Creature", and the connotations are about the same... strange, eccentric, suspicious, clumsy, bit of a turn-off and so forth. The pig actually goes pretty well with this, and the industrial design, minimalistic yellow lettering and choice of font only underline the choice of name, for me at least.

Oh boy. I wonder how the Finnish camera dealers are going to handle this one with a straight face.

Jaakko

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Maybe Zeiss will pull a Leica and introduce a "clean", non "Otus" branded version for a 1K premium.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Nice HUGE full size samples from a D800E. Sweet.

There are some promising shots in there, showing some really nice boke, but interestingly, I find the boke much more like some Leica lenses than the typical Zeiss look many of the ZFs have.

Oct 07, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Performance sounds very impressive, but I'm just not all that interested in the 55mm focal length. When they have a 35mm or 24mm with the same performance I'll seriously consider how much I can't afford one!

Oct 07, 2013 at 02:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
In my experience, the 50 MP has few rivals at infinity focus. A more versatile lens would be hard to find.

For me the 50P is far more attractive for almost all uses, other than macro, and perhaps portrait. I think this is a preference-based choice, not a fact-based one.

Oct 07, 2013 at 02:17 PM
1       2      
       4              57       58       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              57       58       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.