FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
       14              57       58       end

Archive 2017 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Light_pilgrim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Pretty expensive lens for folks shooting charts...I recon:-)

Oct 12, 2013 at 07:11 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Light_pilgrim wrote:
Pretty expensive lens for folks shooting charts...I recon:-)

It takes all types - charts get some people very excited.

Oct 12, 2013 at 08:10 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

^^^^^^^So you two agree its exceptional performance in another way to say it?!
I will take it as not everyone is capable to do Manyal focus, this lens is just like 24-70-200 Canikon, not for everyone I guess.
But,
The lens is so great that people can't avoid compare this with MF. (I am.)It is offering a window to get a MF look that it is at least bring one stop advantage to most if not all 35mm lens, which MF had.

Oct 12, 2013 at 08:24 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

I thought it is the photographer job to think of a use (or two...) for a lens. Unless you go for the extreme in either end (too long or too wide), you can shoot pretty much any type of subject. I regularly shoot my landscape, portrait, street, etc. at this focal. Heck, it's such a good lens and with a high MP camera, you can shoot and crop all day long or pano stitch that would put any WA to shame. If the technical output is up to my standard, I would enjoy my photography more since I just need to concentrate on my artistic vision.

Oct 12, 2013 at 09:34 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Toothwalker wrote:
I am not a lens designer, but I think it is safe to say that it helps to have an optical construction with a large ratio of diameter to length. The length is partly determined by the measures taken to control aberrations, namely the number of elements and their refractive properties and spacings. At a given length of the design, vignetting can be mitigated by incorporating large elements near the front and rear ends. A narrow throat certainly does not help to achieve the latter.

The problem increases with an increasing maximum aperture. Consider the light cone which has the lens
...Show more

Thanks for the clarification. Certainly the throat size is not the only deciding factor here. The Sigma has a much lower vignette. However, seeing how quick the Otus improve after stopping down 2 stops (it would help more to see the vignette at f/2), one would have expected a better performance WO.

Oct 12, 2013 at 09:41 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Is there any information available about flatness of field for this lens?

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
Is there any information available about flatness of field for this lens?

At this point, you can only get that from Lloyd blog; he's the only exclusive tester. He thoroughly examined the field curvature issue in real world picture and corroborate that with the specifically made MTF charts by Zeiss to demonstrate the problem (at the focus point, 20 microns behind and in front). From the published MTF charts, you can deduce somewhat about this. There is no wild curve as with the Lux 50 ASPH for instance.

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

hiepphotog wrote:
At this point, you can only get that from Lloyd blog; he's the only exclusive tester. He thoroughly examined the field curvature issue in real world picture and corroborate that with the specifically made MTF charts by Zeiss to demonstrate the problem (at the focus point, 20 microns behind and in front). From the published MTF charts, you can deduce somewhat about this. There is no wild curve as with the Lux 50 ASPH for instance.

Buying it and trying is probably the way to find out

I'm wondering about the possibilities of stitching photos taken at large apertures. Would be nice.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

hiepphotog wrote:
I thought it is the photographer job to think of a use (or two...) for a lens. Unless you go for the extreme in either end (too long or too wide), you can shoot pretty much any type of subject. I regularly shoot my landscape, portrait, street, etc. at this focal. Heck, it's such a good lens and with a high MP camera, you can shoot and crop all day long or pano stitch that would put any WA to shame. If the technical output is up to my standard, I would enjoy my photography more since I just need
...Show more

Sorry, but what are you talking about? Shoot and crop.....I am really wondering how much time you spend travelling and photographing landscapes. I just can't see myself going on a trip to Iceland, New Zealand, Patagonia and take this lens with me. Heavy...will always limit me to 55 mm...

What people use today is 24-70 or 24-105 for flexibility. Then they also use UWA like 21, 17 mm or 16-35 or 17-40 or 14-24 from Nikon. And....in many occasions 70-200 (I used it most of the time in Tuscany).

No, you are super wrong. It is not a job of a photographer to think about a use for a lens. Photographer that is really doing a lot of real life photography knows what tools he needs and will always pick them.

I am 100% certain that what we will see from this lens soon is mostly people photographing cans, books, trees or something else to show how sharp the lens is and how great is the boken.

What you can do is to check threads of Sigma 35 f/1.4 and Zeiss 35 f/1.4 and you will see how different photographs are. Then ask yourself a question why.

Oct 12, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

zhangyue wrote:
^^^^^^^So you two agree its exceptional performance in another way to say it?!
I will take it as not everyone is capable to do Manyal focus, this lens is just like 24-70-200 Canikon, not for everyone I guess.
But,
The lens is so great that people can't avoid compare this with MF. (I am.)It is offering a window to get a MF look that it is at least bring one stop advantage to most if not all 35mm lens, which MF had.

Exceptional performance and practical use are 2 completely different things.

Oct 12, 2013 at 01:41 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Light_pilgrim wrote:
Sorry, but what are you talking about? Shoot and crop.....I am really wondering how much time you spend travelling and photographing landscapes. I just can't see myself going on a trip to Iceland, New Zealand, Patagonia and take this lens with me. Heavy...will always limit me to 55 mm...

What people use today is 24-70 or 24-105 for flexibility. Then they also use UWA like 21, 17 mm or 16-35 or 17-40 or 14-24 from Nikon. And....in many occasions 70-200 (I used it most of the time in Tuscany).

Okay, now I have to ask: what are you talking about? When I travel, my 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 VRII are staying at home, and depending on where I go, I will pack 2 or 3 of my ZF.2 lenses: 21, 35, 85 or 21, 50P, 100, or similar.

Oct 12, 2013 at 01:50 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Light_pilgrim wrote:
I am 100% certain that what we will see from this lens soon is mostly people photographing cans, books, trees or something else to show how sharp the lens is and how great is the boken.

You missed the obvious cats, dogs and brick walls!

Oct 12, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

carstenw wrote:
Okay, now I have to ask: what are you talking about? When I travel, my 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 VRII are staying at home, and depending on where I go, I will pack 2 or 3 of my ZF.2 lenses: 21, 35, 85 or 21, 50P, 100, or similar.

Where and how do you travel and also what do you photograph? What camera you have for these lens? I do not want to come across as not nice, but can you share your work? I just want to see what kind of photography you do when you travel.

Oct 12, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Tariq Gibran wrote:
You missed the obvious cats, dogs and brick walls!

Just a matter of time, it will all be there.
The thing is....I really do not have to argue with anybody. I am sure people will purchase this lens. There were so many jokes on tours I have been going about people who are really not so much into photography and are not the most skillful to say the least...but they always come with RRS, 1Dx and etc:-)

As long as I can justify RRS and 1Dx, I can't the new Zeiss 55 with MF on a Canon body. Will work fine for bricks, books, charts, trees, walls, houses, cars....

Oct 12, 2013 at 02:03 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Light_pilgrim wrote:
Where and how do you travel and also what do you photograph? What camera you have for these lens? I do not want to come across as not nice, but can you share your work? I just want to see what kind of photography you do when you travel.

I guess photography just doesn't exist before AF. I am with my kids in the park at the time of writing, I don't have a single case miss AF. Hi, you need understand phitogrpher's need are not universal.

As for sigma vs Zeiss, sorry, I don't know what difference you are talking about, BIF, DIR(dog in run)? I see as much of 'bottle' or 'wall', maybe more in those thread.

It is not about lens, but photographer.

Oct 12, 2013 at 02:10 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

I can tell you I will miss a lot more shots if I use AF, if you broad the 'miss' as quality of image, then even more.

Oct 12, 2013 at 02:13 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

zhangyue wrote:
I can tell you I will miss a lot more shots if I use AF, if you broad the 'miss' as quality of image, then even more.

+1

Oct 12, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

Yes, photography existed before AF. I hope you are wise to understand that the whole package, the system was designed to work together - a MF body with a MF lens.

I have no problems with my eyes, but I just can't see whether eyes are in focus when I use Zeiss 35 with my 5D MKIII. I can perfectly photograph a sharp brick or wall....or book....I can do this without any problem.

Leica is what I would do if I want MF. MF body and a MF lens. Canon does everything possible to make people stop using Zeiss lenses - they even no longer allow to replace a focusing screen.

zhangyue wrote:
I guess photography just doesn't exist before AF. I am with my kids in the park at the time of writing, I don't have a single case miss AF. Hi, you need understand phitogrpher's need are not universal.

As for sigma vs Zeiss, sorry, I don't know what difference you are talking about, BIF, DIR(dog in run)? I see as much of 'bottle' or 'wall', maybe more in those thread.

It is not about lens, but photographer.

Oct 12, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

AF vs MF doesn't really matter to me, I miss with both equally! The truth is, to use either one skillfully requires experience and practice. I think a lot of folks start using AF, miss a lot of shots and generalize "AF sucks"! To use AF correctly is just as much a skill as using MF IMO. AF does not equal "auto pilot" or something.

Edited on Oct 12, 2013 at 02:23 PM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.13 #20 · p.13 #20 · Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

zhangyue wrote:

Sure....I just came back from Iceland. I never used AF for landscapes....always used MF to make sure that I really have what I need. I have all the time in the world to fine tune the focus and do it right.

I tried doing it for people and portraits with 5D MKIII and it is not going to work. Why suffer if I can use the advanced AF system body with the AF lens. Rangefinder is the only thing I would understand when talking MF for people and portraits.

Oct 12, 2013 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.