Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

First try shooting on manual with flash

campy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · First try shooting on manual with flash

After taking advice from other very knowledgeable forum members I took some pictures at my daughters wedding last night after the paid photographer left using manual settings. I need a little more practice but was I generally pleased. I know the pictures aren't perfect but the subject is.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · First try shooting on manual with flash

Well done. You have two tricky things there - a very dark venue and a huge, bright white dress.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:41 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · First try shooting on manual with flash

Looking good, well done! Did you try bouncing the flash at all? That would have helped fill out the background a bit and with the ceilings so low there should have been power to spare to illuminate your subjects. For PP of these images I would raise the background shadows a bit to help balance the ambient with the flash, which will give them a more natural look.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:48 AM
robsuh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · First try shooting on manual with flash

To improve the photos, do the following:

1) Set the camera to expose for the ambient light. Usually in a cave like that, I would be at 1600+ ISO.

2) Use the flash (preferably bounced) to light the subject.

Looking at your photos, looks like the flash is the primary light. Since you are shooting manual, try 1/4 power and move up or down depending on how things look.

With flash, you can even drag the shutter (like 1/20s) and still get decent shots since the flash will "freeze" the subject.

Rob

Oct 07, 2013 at 02:04 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #5 · First try shooting on manual with flash

Throw on a stofen and 45 degree that at that relatively low ceiling. But not bad for a first go.

Oct 07, 2013 at 02:11 AM
campy
• •
p.1 #6 · First try shooting on manual with flash

popinvasion wrote:
Throw on a stofen and 45 degree that at that relatively low ceiling. But not bad for a first go.

That's what I used.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:19 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #7 · First try shooting on manual with flash

campy wrote:
That's what I used.

Good Job Dad...

Oct 07, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · First try shooting on manual with flash

campy -- Much better results than what you told us were your initial concerns from past experience! Very usable and wonderful memories. I'm glad you succeeded!

Oct 07, 2013 at 05:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · First try shooting on manual with flash

Oct 07, 2013 at 05:46 PM
campy
• •
p.1 #10 · First try shooting on manual with flash

Thanks everyone. I think this was a good starting point for me and hopefully it will improve. The only problem will be my expectations will be high when the pro photographer gets the pictures to us. She took one shot that I think I will love, there was a small rose bush and she went on the other side and shot with them in the foreground with my daughter in back of the bush. Hopefully the front bokeh will come out nice and creamy.

Oct 07, 2013 at 07:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · First try shooting on manual with flash

Yes, very good job. I would personally not put flash in manual power until you get used to the other variables, but definitely would have dragged the shutter to a little slower speed to get more ambient light. It took me a while to have confidence enough that the flash would freeze the subject at slow shutter speeds, but it really does work - as long as you don't drag so much that the ambient becomes the main light.

Oct 07, 2013 at 08:15 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #12 · First try shooting on manual with flash

timbop wrote:
Yes, very good job. I would personally not put flash in manual power until you get used to the other variables, but definitely would have dragged the shutter to a little slower speed to get more ambient light. It took me a while to have confidence enough that the flash would freeze the subject at slow shutter speeds, but it really does work - as long as you don't drag so much that the ambient becomes the main light.

I don't think he set the flash to manual, rather he had the camera set to M mode. He had previously solicited advice on another thread...

BTW, nicely done Campy.

As others have mentioned, if you can, it's a good idea to mix in a little ambient light in the background. This usually requires bumping up the ISO and/or "dragging" the shutter a bit (using a slower shutter speed along with 2nd curtain sync). That said, it's hard to tell, but there doesn't seem to be that much background lighting in the venue, judging by your shots. I'd say you did fine under the circumstances.

Oct 07, 2013 at 08:55 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · First try shooting on manual with flash

garyvot wrote:
I don't think he set the flash to manual, rather he had the camera set to M mode. He had previously solicited advice on another thread...

BTW, nicely done Campy.

As others have mentioned, if you can, it's a good idea to mix in a little ambient light in the background. This usually requires bumping up the ISO and/or "dragging" the shutter a bit (using a slower shutter speed along with 2nd curtain sync). That said, it's hard to tell, but there doesn't seem to be that much background lighting in the venue, judging by your shots. I'd say
...Show more

yes - I was actually addressing robsuh's comment to set the flash to manual 1/4 power and adjust from there. The problem with manual power is that you have to be very aware of your distance from subject - depending on the height of the ceiling. With the flash pointed up on a high ceiling and small bounce card you don't have to worry as much about subject distance than say a low 10 to 12 foot ceiling.

Oct 07, 2013 at 09:52 PM
campy
• •
p.1 #14 · First try shooting on manual with flash

timbop wrote:
yes - I was actually addressing robsuh's comment to set the flash to manual 1/4 power and adjust from there. The problem with manual power is that you have to be very aware of your distance from subject - depending on the height of the ceiling. With the flash pointed up on a high ceiling and small bounce card you don't have to worry as much about subject distance than say a low 10 to 12 foot ceiling.

I did set the flash for 1/4 power and did forget about the distance in some of the shots. Here are 2 more shots taken at the rehearsal dinner of my great nephews with basically the same settings. They always photograph well for some reason.

Oct 08, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #15 · First try shooting on manual with flash

I just used bounce flash for the first time in a while. One good trick if you have a wall at your back is to bounce diagonally backward, that way you don't get shadows on the eyes from direct overhead light.

I use the same idea on sunny evenings, shooting into the sun with a West facing white wall at my back--gives you a quality of light that would otherwise require AC strobes and huge diffusers.

Oct 08, 2013 at 11:03 PM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #16 · First try shooting on manual with flash

The two basic rules of flash photography are
1.speed is related with ambient light(slower speed means more light faster means less light)speed wont change anything to flash power! Remenber that and save on batteries.

2. Aperture is related to flash power(wider aperture exemple f2.8 will need less power and smaller exemple f8 will need more flash.

As mention before good job! Get more ambient light by slowing your speed as low as 1/40 if needed and bump up the iso! F4 with a decent autofocus is more than enought! And then when exposure is good adjust flash in consequence.
Have fun!

Oct 08, 2013 at 11:19 PM
WestFalcon
• • •
p.1 #17 · First try shooting on manual with flash

I have shot about 500 weddings over the years and I always use bounce when possible. Here is my setup at receptions....works great if ceiling is 15 feet high or less...Manual flash at whatever shutter speed works...Shoot in raw and you can save almost anything...I flip out the little card on my flash or you could tape on a notecard.....try shutter speeds of 1/60 to 1/15th second and you will be pleased at the results....I'd start at 1/2 power manually and adjust from there....try 45-60 degree tilt on flash with bounce card.

use the built in card or tape one on

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:04 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · First try shooting on manual with flash

stofens are completely useless, just bounce.

Oct 09, 2013 at 04:15 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #19 · First try shooting on manual with flash

I hold a piece of blank inkjet paper on the narrow side of my flashes with one of those rubber charity wrist bands. Putting it on the narrow side of the flash head, and turning the head sideways, allows you to switch from landscape to portrait orientation and still have the bounce card facing your subject.

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:45 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · First try shooting on manual with flash

But why a card in this situation for the OP? The ceiling is perfect for free-bouncing off of (and it looks white, or at least light..?). Cards give that overly 'flashed' look IMO.

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password