Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

I recently paid for a smugmug website and I only have one game on it so far, but I'm just wondering what are fair prices to sell merchandise for? I was talking to one of my friends and he told me to just take the prices that he had on his site, so I did, but I feel like it is a bit overpriced for me right now. I'm 17 and have about 1 year sports shooting experience, but it's more about the final product than that. Here's my website. And while I have my site posted, what do you guys think of it? It's just for selling sports photos not a portfolio or anything else.

Thanks,
Luke

Oct 06, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

Are there only volleyball shots? That's all I could find. Didn't look at your prices, but I recommend that even if you are "just for selling" it's only as strong as your weakest images, so use a more discriminating eye.

Oct 06, 2013 at 05:12 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

Pricing is a hard decision......

I looked at your pricing...and some is fair...some is high

Pricing has to be looked at by what your market can handle, and the quality of your product.

I use Smugmug too...and I can say the finished product using them to print/ship is excellent!!

Again...you need to start somewhere...and I suggest you look at your pricing in a way to get in and establish a client base...then you can begin to increase your pricing as your product increases in quality as well.

Oct 06, 2013 at 05:17 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

Russ Isabella wrote:
Are there only volleyball shots? That's all I could find. Didn't look at your prices, but I recommend that even if you are "just for selling" it's only as strong as your weakest images, so use a more discriminating eye.

I've only got that one game up there so far. Volleyball at my school isn't exactly the easiest thing to do with the lighting and the size of the gym. I tried to narrow it down, but there isn't much I could work with. I'm going to get more up as the seasons go on. But I know they aren't great.

Oct 06, 2013 at 06:35 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

onesickpuppy wrote:
Pricing is a hard decision......

I looked at your pricing...and some is fair...some is high

Pricing has to be looked at by what your market can handle, and the quality of your product.

I use Smugmug too...and I can say the finished product using them to print/ship is excellent!!

Again...you need to start somewhere...and I suggest you look at your pricing in a way to get in and establish a client base...then you can begin to increase your pricing as your product increases in quality as well.

The friend that I got my pricing from has his website here. He has a more experience than me and better equipment and overall a better final product, so that's why I was questioning my prices. Another friend that has a website but uses photoshelter has their website here. He's retired and only does it every now and then for places he goes to watch of for his grandchildren. His prices are a lot lower and he is in the same area as me, but doesn't go out nearly as much as I do. So should I shit my prices closer to his?

Oct 06, 2013 at 06:40 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

The standard size pricing is the market here, so nothing was alarming. It got a little pricey for the larger prints though... 16 x 20 and up. The more important question is... are you ready to sell? Do you have everything in place to run a business? S-CORP or DBA, liability insurance, customer service plan, etc?

The selling of photos is only about 10% of the business.

Oct 06, 2013 at 08:18 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

P Alesse wrote:
The standard size pricing is the market here, so nothing was alarming. It got a little pricey for the larger prints though... 16 x 20 and up. The more important question is... are you ready to sell? Do you have everything in place to run a business? S-CORP or DBA, liability insurance, customer service plan, etc?

The selling of photos is only about 10% of the business.

I'm not getting too serious into it right now. I have the smugmug account under a personal thing, because right now that's what it is. I've been going to the games for the past year or so but I really haven't been doing much with the images except for giving them to the year book, so I figured I would try and sell some to make a little profit. Once I get out of highschool I'll put more money and effort into it because I can. For now it's more of a laid back thing.

Oct 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What are fair prices for selling prints and other stuff?

Luke,
I too use Smugmug. Let me give you a few suggestions.
1. For your standard gallery settings you probably want tor Turn Off Sharing, and Turn On right click protection. Also, I suggest you add a watermark as default for your gallery uploads and put it in the center of image. While screen print isn't prevented at least you impair the results. I learned that sharing actually posts and extract the image from the gallery that can then be downloaded.

2. Consider some low cost loss leaders print marked low res downloads (300k pixel) for Facebook. Printmarks are separate from watermarks and you can put them in a corner out of the way.

Good luck.
Guy

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.