Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Some beginner shots

Tarocco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Some beginner shots

I bought a Panagor 90 2.8 lens to give macro a try and have been shooting with my 6D for the last 3 weeks. I don't own a flash so all these shots are handheld in natural light. I'm beginning to understand the limitations of this approach but wanted to see how far I could get. Next stop will be a nice manual flash and a homemade diffuser setup. I enjoy shooting with limited depth of field in everyday photography and my approach to macro is no different - so focus stacking etc. doesn't appeal to me - at least for now. I would like to get closer than 1:1 in some cases so suggestions would be welcome, I'm thinking reverse mounting one of my legacy fast 50mm lenses on the Panagor would be a cost effective approach? Any feedback and comments are appreciated! I certainly feel I have a lot to learn, especially from the technical perspective.

Oct 06, 2013 at 08:45 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Some beginner shots

I understand that the lens is of Lester Dine manufacture, as are Kirons, which I have largely switched to over the last year.. So expect excellent resulta at f8 or f11, when you want more DOF. I have used a reversed Kiron 28m -70mm with pleasing results and have still to check out my prime 28 and 35mm reversed. I use the 105mm macro as my go-to lens for macro.

You can put tubes behind the lens or a high quality supplementary on the front, or a combination of both. I like the Marumi Achromat +5.

Reversing lenses bring problems of lack of hood, leading to possible flare and lack of contrast.

Harold

Oct 07, 2013 at 08:10 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Some beginner shots

For your first step into macro you're doing really well -a heck of a lot better than my first outing! I'm not a fan of the angle on that katydid, but the rest of the images look excellent with the snail being the show stopper for me -excellent!

I take single frames at high mag with a lens that's stopped down, so don't be afraid to shoot at F11 or so when you start using a flash if you need more depth.

Oct 07, 2013 at 08:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Some beginner shots

e6filmuser wrote:
Reversing lenses bring problems of lack of hood, leading to possible flare and lack of contrast.

Some lenses have the rear element quite deeply recessed, such that the recess acts as a hood. (The Kiron I used reversed was a zoom, to give a range of magnifications, and the depth of recess changed with focal length).

Harold

Oct 07, 2013 at 09:33 AM
Tarocco
• •
p.1 #5 · Some beginner shots

Thanks for the comments! I'm definitely interested in achromats as an option to increase magnification with to much light loss but I'm worried about working distance - my lens extends very far to achieve 1:1 and there isn't much room to my subject.

One more shot:

Oct 08, 2013 at 04:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Some beginner shots

Tarocco wrote:
I'm definitely interested in achromats as an option to increase magnification with to much light loss but I'm worried about working distance - my lens extends very far to achieve 1:1 and there isn't much room to my subject.

Don't get caught up in that myth about there being less light loss with supplementaries. As you increase magnification, by any means, you will be diluting the light intensity on the subject which reaches the sensor. This will be constantly proportional to the increase in magnification.

Supplementaries and tubes decrease the working distance but teleconverters maintain it, with the same light dilution. I invoke the term "dilution" to indicate that a smaller sample of light reaches the sensor so you need to lengthen the exposure.

Harold

Oct 08, 2013 at 06:30 AM
12monkeys
• •
p.1 #7 · Some beginner shots

Not so keen on 3 and 4 - a bit too green, not so keen on the light or shooting angles - but the others are cracking and not just for a beginner. I particularly like the second one. You just need to clone out the dust bunnies.

Oct 08, 2013 at 10:49 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Some beginner shots

My experience with reversing lenses makes me think you will need a focusing stage and tripod. It has always been challenging for me to reverse a lens just to get the object into view. So I have adopted extension tubes to assist in getting higher magnifications, even with an 80-200 zoom.
Douglas

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:00 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Some beginner shots

douter wrote:
My experience with reversing lenses makes me think you will need a focusing stage and tripod. It has always been challenging for me to reverse a lens just to get the object into view.

There is nothing specific about reversing a lens which gives such difficulty. If you were using the reversed lens alone, and not on the front of another lens, you may have lost aperture control. This would give the very shallow DOF of the lens wide open.

Harold

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:17 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password