Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Faulty BG-E11 Battery Holder?

tjavery
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Faulty BG-E11 Battery Holder?

Last week I was shooting in a slot canyon in west Texas with my 5D3 + BG-E11. I had the camera on a tripod and was slowly and carefully working my way towards a drop off with a deep pool of stagnant water at the bottom.

The battery holder (containing two LP-E6 batteries) suddenly popped loose and slid out. It fell down the slickrock below me and into the pool.

I had inserted the holder and latched it shut while back at the motel earlier that day. I hiked down the canyon with the camera in a backpack. When the incident happened, I'd been shooting (carefully and slowly in the canyon bottom) for about 15 min. When the pack slid out, the camera was sitting at a slight angle on the tripod, but otherwise no external force was acting upon it (ie I didn't bang into it nor had I just set it down hard). I suppose the latch was loose or faulty and it just happened at that particular moment in time.

Given the circumstances, I judged that recovering it would be too risky. (fortunately I'd brought along the alternate holder for AA batteries - but that was back at the motel)

So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone else experience anything like this? Is there any history of a faulty latch design for the battery holder in a BG-E11?

2) Can I get a replacement battery holder? I've searched around on the internet and cannot find anything (other than buying a whole new grip).

http://www.thomasjavery.com/blog/foto/ftp/20131002-batt1.jpg

http://www.thomasjavery.com/blog/foto/ftp/20131002-batt2.jpg

Oct 06, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Faulty BG-E11 Battery Holder?

I'm not 100% positive, but you should be able to order one from Canon parts. Call them at 866-481-2569.

Oct 06, 2013 at 03:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Faulty BG-E11 Battery Holder?

Bummer!

The BG-E11 is very similar to the BG-E13 on my 6D. In comparison, the "similar" battery closure system for LP-E4 batteries on my 1DX and 1DIV seems to be more robust. I've never had a problem with either (BG-E13 and LP-E4), but your experience makes me think that I might add a bit of Gaffer's tape to the closure tab on my BG-E13, next time I'm in a similar situation.

As Wahoowa says, you should be able to get a replacement battery holder, or two.

Oct 06, 2013 at 03:30 PM
tjavery
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Faulty BG-E11 Battery Holder?

Thanks for your replies, Wahoowa and jcolwell.

I've been communicating with Canon support in back-and-forth emails. The end result is that they are going to replace the battery "magazine" for free, but that's it.

Fair enough. I wish I could have recovered the one that fell out. It would be nice to bring some closure to this by inspecting it. But at least Canon was willing to listen to me (and I did press them to contact their engineering with this problem) and offered to replace the magazine.

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:38 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Faulty BG-E11 Battery Holder?

Is that close canyon in BB State park? I havent been back in a few years, but we love that canyon!

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:40 PM
tjavery
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Faulty BG-E11 Battery Holder?

thedutt wrote:
Is that close canyon in BB State park? I havent been back in a few years, but we love that canyon!

Yes! That is along highway 170 in Big Bend Ranch State Park.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.