Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Shooting film in today's world.

Gregstx
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting film in today's world.

I was excited by another thread about shooting film and seeing the beautiful photos. That thread inspired me so much that I dug out my old N90s, put some new batteries in it, pulled a roll of Fuji 100 film out of the fridge, stuck on my trusty and beloved 28-85 lens and went out to grab some shots. I had forgotten how noisy the N90 was. And I found that I would compulsively look at the back of the camera after taking a shot. . Focus seemed accurate but a little slower than I remember. It was fun. As the roll neared the end, I experienced a little of that anxiety that I used to sense because I would always barely start the film in the take up reel to get the most shots out of a roll. Did it catch, or did I miss all of those shots? I didn't need to worry. Then came the first glitch. I couldn't remember how to rewind the film. I pushed all sorts of buttons and combinations of buttons that I could think of. I even called a friend who had an N90 and he couldn't remember either. I finally got past that after doing an Internet search. Then the real problem came to life. Developing the film. I was looking forward to seeing what I had managed to capture. Being impatient, I went to a local CVS to get the film processed. As I was filling out the envelope I was reading their propaganda. For $11.00, I would get a set of 4x6 prints, a CD and "NEGATIVES WILL NOT BE RETURNED". What BS is that? After searching all day I found that all of the local business's that used to process film are gone. I found 3 drug store operations that had on site processing. Unfortunately, all of the machines were "down". It looks like I am going to have to resort to sending it off to get it processed. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Oct 06, 2013 at 02:46 AM
Adam Bavier
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting film in today's world.

I know the feeling of looking at the back of a film camera waiting for a preview. Did that one too many times with my Mamiya TLR

NCPS.

North Coast Photographic Services. http://www.northcoastphoto.com/

I've sent a handful of 120 film there in the last year. For the first bunch, I just got them developed and told them to return the negatives uncut. They have a form that you fill out and include with the film you are sending in. They followed it perfectly.

This last time I had them also make prints, which are priced reasonable, and had them scan the negatives. I was curious how their Enhanced scans compared to mine (more detail, but the jpgs are not as flexible as my TIFFs off my V500). Unless you've mastered your scanner, and software developing pipeline you'll be super happy with their JPG scans.

They respond quickly to emails.

No scratched negatives yet.

Their website is a bit out of date, but their service is spot on.

Just a happy customer.

-Adam

Edit: The 120 film JPGs from the Enhanced scan service that I got are 4832x4760 and are 17MB to 23MB in size. It appears like they use almost no compression on them.

Oct 06, 2013 at 04:05 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting film in today's world.

If you shoot film, you simply HAVE to be a part of www.apug.org. There is no more comprehensive group of film shooters around. They are enormously generous with their knowledge and WILL get you up to speed with film if you are interested in learning.

I lurked there for awhile and due to their extreme enthusiasm for film I ended up buying two film cameras and now have burnt through 300 rolls of film in the last few years.

Oct 06, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Adam Bavier
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting film in today's world.

Apug is simply dangerous for me. After reading tons of threads there I almost bought all the materials I needed for developing B&W film and an entire lot of film.

Oct 06, 2013 at 07:56 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting film in today's world.

Adam Bavier wrote:
Apug is simply dangerous for me. After reading tons of threads there I almost bought all the materials I needed for developing B&W film and an entire lot of film.

Oct 06, 2013 at 08:02 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting film in today's world.

I'll have to check out Apug. But I don't need any more reasons to spend money I don't have. Adam, thanks for the tip on North Coast Photographic. I am glad to see that their scans are high rez. The last time I had film scanned the results were pretty low resolution and somewhat disappointing.

Oct 06, 2013 at 02:20 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting film in today's world.

That's strange about negs not being returned ...i do walgreens for basic stuff, they do ok...they'll even do no prints, just a CD...google Indie Film Lab...they're pretty good if you wanna mail stuff away...

Oct 06, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting film in today's world.

Many places no longer return negatives, it seems. I am lucky in that I have a camera store that still does 35mm and 120 in my town. For my 4x5 sheets I have to send it to Kansas City. I only shoot b&w film, and am considering doing it myself, at least for 4x5. My most modern film camera is a 1954 Leica IIIf, and a 1951 Rolleiflex. Mostly I shoot with lenses & cameras made befre WW2. I just love the look I get from vintage cameras. It's very different from what comes from modern lenses and DSLRs. Today, all shot seem to have the same look. I got bored.

Kent in SD

Oct 06, 2013 at 11:49 PM
tony1
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting film in today's world.

i go to cvs and i say cd and negatives for $ 6.03 c41 process ektar100 works fine .

Oct 07, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shooting film in today's world.

Adam Bavier wrote:
I know the feeling of looking at the back of a film camera waiting for a preview. Did that one too many times with my Mamiya TLR

NCPS.

North Coast Photographic Services. http://www.northcoastphoto.com/

I've sent a handful of 120 film there in the last year. For the first bunch, I just got them developed and told them to return the negatives uncut. They have a form that you fill out and include with the film you are sending in. They followed it perfectly.

This last time I had them also make prints, which are priced reasonable, and had them scan the negatives.
...Show more

I also use North Coast -- except in my case, they are my local lab. ;-) I have them do all my 8x10 film, and they do a great job.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shooting film in today's world.

I've got a local lab here in Simi Valley that does process and scan (around 18MB TIFF) which is fairly expensive at $20+ per roll of either 135-36 or 120/220. I've also used North Coast, and they were okay, but also not cheap. I wanted to try a place up near Portland, but I've forgotten the name off-hand -- have to do some digging.

For testing or unimportant stuff, I just use Costco. For about $6 they process and burn 3-5MB JPGs to DVD, and about 1-2 hour turnaround.

Walmart used to develop film, and might still in some areas.

Oct 07, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shooting film in today's world.

Well, no one has mentioned it but have you considered developing your own? Darkrooms are nice but not necessary. Can be done over the kitchen or laundry room sink. C41 kits can be had for less than $20 and will conservatively do anywhere from 12-20 rolls of 36 exposure film. I do my own color and b&w. Truthfully, that's the part of the process I like best.

Granted, getting into it will cost you some shekels but the equipment lasts quite a while. Just my $.02

Kenny

Oct 07, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shooting film in today's world.

Thanks Kenny. I hadn't seriously considered doing my own processing. My best case scenario would be if I could wind up with professionally scanned negatives that I could work with in PP. At this time, I doubt that I would be doing enough film to justify the expense. But it is something to consider. I have a friend who's family used to run a high end photo lab and that was his suggestion, also.

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:24 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shooting film in today's world.

I have to admit - I keep wanting to shoot the B&W I have loaded into my F100 - but everytime I bring it along - I end up shooting mostly the D800, and I don't touch the F100 once. I think If I am finally going to get around to shooting those rolls of film - I need to keep my D800 home when I want to shoot film. I do want to do a black and white FILM project .... and I really need to get a proper plate for my 4x5 camera too - I recently upgraded to a new Acratech ballhead.

Oct 07, 2013 at 10:39 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shooting film in today's world.

Nikon FM2 w/50mm f/1.2 ais lens using Fuji Neopan 400 film.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:03 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shooting film in today's world.

I've just bought 70 rolls of Fuji Neopan 400!!

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:30 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shooting film in today's world.

I have been bitten.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Adam Bavier
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shooting film in today's world.

rattymouse, what developer was the photo developed in? Reading APUG it appeared like the developer was just as important to the equation as the film chosen.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:52 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shooting film in today's world.

Adam Bavier wrote:
rattymouse, what developer was the photo developed in? Reading APUG it appeared like the developer was just as important to the equation as the film chosen.

I've really liked the results I've got with Fuji Neopan 400 and Kodak D76 developer...

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Anthony8858
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shooting film in today's world.

I use MPIX.COM.
Easy mailer. Usually get my negatives back in a week.
4.95, developed and shipped.

I'm happy

Oct 08, 2013 at 05:15 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password