New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

lumis beans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

Would someone who owns the Novoflex tripod collar post a caliper measurement of the ring's inside diameter --- fully open and closed.

Also, there appears to be two version of the Arca dove tail. One looks integrated, the other is a bolt on. Anyone have an opinion on either.

Bolt-On:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=758213&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Integrated?:
http://www.adorama.com/NVNEXAM.html?gclid=CMSLvr22_bkCFUkS7AodUSMAQA

Thanks

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:09 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

lumis beans wrote:
Would someone who owns the Novoflex tripod collar post a caliper measurement of the ring's inside diameter --- fully open and closed.

Also, there appears to be two version of the Arca dove tail. One looks integrated, the other is a bolt on. Anyone have an opinion on either.

Bolt-On:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=758213&is=REG&A=details&Q=

Integrated?:
http://www.adorama.com/NVNEXAM.html?gclid=CMSLvr22_bkCFUkS7AodUSMAQA

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge the image shown by B&H is the actual adapter; this is the same design as the Novoflex rotating collar that I have for usage for the Leica R to M4/3 and Leica R to Fuji adapters. The photo shown by Adorama to the best of my knowledge was a prototype and as mentioned the one shown by B&H is the working model.

As to the question of the ring size, these are designed to work only with Novoflex's own adapter for the NEX cameras and no other.

Also, as to the Arca Swiss Type QR plate dovetail for the Novoflex rotating collars, these will not fit the latest RRS lever clamp and I believe the RRS screw clamps (you would need to attach a RRS dovetail). At least that is what I have found with my rotating collar for the Leica R to M/3 and Leica R to Fuji adapters. The Novoflex dovetail does fit my Kirk, Markins, and ProMediaGear screw clamps.

Rich

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:29 PM
lumis beans
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

Thanks, Rich.

I have Markins and RRS lever clamps, so that's good to know.

I'm reasonable certain I can make it work with other adapters for my purposes if the inside diameter of the collar is large enough. Just need to get that measurement. If not, I'll splurge for the Novoflex adapter too.

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:49 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

lumis beans wrote:
Thanks, Rich.

I have Markins and RRS lever clamps, so that's good to know.

I'm reasonable certain I can make it work with other adapters for my purposes if the inside diameter of the collar is large enough. Just need to get that measurement. If not, I'll splurge for the Novoflex adapter too.

The rotating collar works well with the Novoflex adapters, but you do have to make sure to slide collar to the widest part of the Novoflex adapter (acts as a stop) before locking the collar ring screw. That is one of the reasons that the collars are designed specifically for the Novoflex adapters (the adapter itself is cut at about 90 degrees at one end which acts as a block for stoppage and alignment for the collar ring).

Rich

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:58 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

I have the ASTAT-NEX collar but I don't have a set of calipers so any measurement I did would only be approximate...

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:36 PM
lumis beans
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

genji wrote:
I have the ASTAT-NEX collar but I don't have a set of calipers so any measurement I did would only be approximate...

That would be great, genji.

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:57 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

I couldn't measure it accurately with a ruler and I've wanted calipers for quite a while so I picked up a set.

Fully closed: 59mm
Fully open: 59.5mm

However, my ASTAT-NEX collar is a different design from the one shown on the Novoflex site:

http://www.neu.novoflex.de/files/astat.jpg

In mine the upper and lower holes are not threaded. Instead, in addition to the collar ring screw, there is a separate nut that it screws into. I was disappointed when I received mine but have resigned myself to it (I bought a packet of 4mm metric nuts in case I lost the original).

Like Rich, I've found that the dovetail fits Kirk and Markins screw clamps.

Oct 04, 2013 at 11:20 PM
contaxzeiss

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

Rich noted, "Also, as to the Arca Swiss Type QR plate dovetail for the Novoflex rotating collars, these will not fit the latest RRS lever clamp and I believe the RRS screw clamps (you would need to attach a RRS dovetail)." I have both an RRS lever release clamp and and RRS screw knob clamp. I accept RRS' direction only to use RRS or Wimberley plates in its lever release clamps. However, I can attest that the Novoflex collar works perfectly in my RRS screw knob clamp.

A tip: If you want to use the Novovflex collar in your RRS lever release clamp, just stick an RRS B2-FAB-F clamp in the lever release clamp, instantly turning it into a screw knob clamp while adding less than 2 ounces! It's also a great way to quickly re-orient a clamp from fore-aft to side-to-side (or vice versa). For example, I have the monopod head that requires a tool to change the orientation of the clamp (RRS does sell a version that allows for that change without tools - I think by loosening a knob). Anyway, on the fly if I don't mind adding the little B2-FAB-F clamp, it instantly changes the orientation. I also have a RRS focus slider from years ago. I now also use it for some pano work. The clamp on the slider is fore aft, so it doesn't work with RRS body plates that are side to side. That is until I put on the B2-FAB-F clamp, instantly changing the orientation.

Oct 04, 2013 at 11:27 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

contaxzeiss wrote:
Rich noted, "Also, as to the Arca Swiss Type QR plate dovetail for the Novoflex rotating collars, these will not fit the latest RRS lever clamp and I believe the RRS screw clamps (you would need to attach a RRS dovetail)." I have both an RRS lever release clamp and and RRS screw knob clamp. I accept RRS' direction only to use RRS or Wimberley plates in its lever release clamps. However, I can attest that the Novoflex collar works perfectly in my RRS screw knob clamp.

A tip: If you want to use the Novovflex collar in your RRS lever
...Show more

I have found that my dovetail on my Novoflex rotating collar for my Leica R to M4/3 and Leica R to Fujifilm adapter fits some of the RRS screw clamps and not others with some of the following observations:

it fits as follows:

1) B2-mAS in either orientation
2) PCL-1 panning clamp- the Novoflex dovetail fits in 1 direction but not the other orientation
3) CRD-Rail: Vertical rail w/on-end clamp- the Novoflex will not fit the clamp in either orientation; the rail would normally be used with the clamp to clamp to a RRS rail.

Rich

Oct 05, 2013 at 07:00 AM
lumis beans
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

Thanks for all the tips!

gengi, glad you got calipers out of this. Thank You.

59.5mm should be nearly perfect. On every cheap adapter I own there's a flat surface roughly 58.5mm diameter. I can make up the rest with gaffer's tape if necessary.

I plan on getting a Novoflex adapter for my Contax mounts once the FF NEX is vetted, so I'll end up using the collar even if I can't get it to work with non-Novoflex adapters.

Edited on Dec 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2013 at 07:39 AM
contaxzeiss

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

I just pulled out my PCL-1 panning clamp, and the Novoflex tripod collar fits with exactly the same rock solid assurance in either direction. It seems the plate is truly bi-directional. Rich, what do you mean by it doesn't fit in one of the orientations? Which orientation is a no go for you? What tells you that? Does it become evident as you start tightening the screw knob, or can you see a problem as soon as you lay it in the jaws? Thanks. I'm not challenging you. I trust what you're experiencing, and I don't want to be overlooking a problem with a combination that I'm thinking is secure but actually isn't. I would really appreciate it if you could provide a picture that illustrates the problem.

lumis,

The Novoflex adapter for my C/Y mount Contax Zeiss lenses works without flaw on the VG900. You are good to go! I also own a Rayqual adapter. It has internal "baffles" that give it a smaller "window." I didn't try it on the VG900, because I just haven't needed it for that use, but I wonder if it would be a problem. The Novoflex adapter is a completely open circle inside, so it seemed the obvious choice for the VG900, and it is! I use the Rayqual on the NEX 6 unless I am using one of my heavier Contax lenses (then of course I take advantage of the Novoflex adapter and tripod collar). By the way, both the Novoflex adapter and Rayqual adapter are extremely well made (I would guess the best available). A nice setup for me is using the Novoflex adapter and tripod collar with the NEX 6 and VS100-300 on a monopod (RRS monopod head).

Oct 05, 2013 at 08:22 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

contaxzeiss wrote:
I just pulled out my PCL-1 panning clamp, and the Novoflex tripod collar fits with exactly the same rock solid assurance in either direction. It seems the plate is truly bi-directional. Rich, what do you mean by it doesn't fit in one of the orientations? Which orientation is a no go for you? What tells you that? Does it become evident as you start tightening the screw knob, or can you see a problem as soon as you lay it in the jaws? Thanks. I'm not challenging you. I trust what you're experiencing, and I don't want to be overlooking
...Show more

The dovetail on my Novoflex rotating collar for my Novoflex Leica R to M4/3 and my Novoflex Leica R to Fuji adapters is bi-directional. But, the dovetail is rectangular and not square. My RRS PCL-1 clamp is only about 1-1/2 years old and my Novoflex rotating collar is less than a year old. When I slide the Novoflex rotating collar dovetail into the PCL-1 clamp with the lens collar opening in the orientation along the long axis of the QR clamp and tighten the PCL-1, the dovetail just slides through the clamp even when the clamp is locked at its tightest. However, if I rotate the Novoflex rotating collar 90 degrees and load it into the PCL-1 clamp with the collar opening facing perpendicular to the long axis of the clamp (the locking screw of the PCL-1 is behind the opening of the Novoflex rotating collar to hold the adapter) then the PCL-1 clamp will lock tightly.

Rich

Oct 05, 2013 at 09:02 AM
contaxzeiss

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

OK. My dovetail is exactly square (38.5 x 38.5 mm). Why did Novoflex change it?! Funny thing is, only after you described the issue (that it slides right through the PCL-1), I tightened mine down in that clamp and noticed what I thought was a super tight clamp onto the dovetail is actually the point at which the jaws are flush with the clamp body! So the dovetail does feel very tight (no play at all as I try to move it), but I don't like that all of my hand turning force on the screw knob is NOT being applied solely to the dovetail; it's more that the clamp cannot be tightened further since the jaw is flush with the clamp body. By the way, this is exactly the same situation in either orientation--my dovetail is precisely square (though don't trust my measurement above; I didn't use a line gauge or other precise measuring instrument--just a plastic schoolkids' ruler). Anyway, I thank you because all of this will lead me NOT to use the Novoflex tripod collar in the PCL-1. I did the same checks in my RRS screw knob clamp, and in either orientation, when I have screwed the knob as tight as I can against the Novoflex dovetail, I can see that the clamp jaws still could be closed further before contacting the clamp body (so the dovetail is getting all the force, as one would want). THANKS

Oct 05, 2013 at 10:27 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

I'm looking at using a "dumb" Novoflex NEX-EOS adapter on an A7 with the tripod collar of this thread, and all my EOS adapted legacy lenses..

However, I suspect the Canon FD 35mm Tilt Shift lens, would foul on the foot when tilted? (and reversing it so it extends under the camera rather than the lens would prevent the camera being rotated from horiz' to vertical.)

Looking at the Collar on the Novoflex site photo (with Nex camera), it seems the tripod foot extends a long way forward. (Click on the accessory picture half way down, then on the image to enlarge.) http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/adapters/adapter-finder/

Apr 12, 2014 at 05:14 AM
lumis beans
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

timballic wrote:
I'm looking at using a "dumb" Novoflex NEX-EOS adapter on an A7 with the tripod collar of this thread, and all my EOS adapted legacy lenses..

However, I suspect the Canon FD 35mm Tilt Shift lens, would foul on the foot when tilted? (and reversing it so it extends under the camera rather than the lens would prevent the camera being rotated from horiz' to vertical.)

Looking at the Collar on the Novoflex site photo (with Nex camera), it seems the tripod foot extends a long way forward. (Click on the accessory picture half way down, then on the image to enlarge.)
...Show more

It might interfere, but you can flip the collar around so the plate points to the rear. It will clear the camera base. It's not going to be as balanced, but it should work.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

It doesn't interfere with the movements of the 35TS. It does make the controls harder to reach depending on how the lens is rotated but, as LB points out, you can mount the ring the opposite way.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

freaklikeme wrote:
It doesn't interfere with the movements of the 35TS. It does make the controls harder to reach depending on how the lens is rotated but, as LB points out, you can mount the ring the opposite way.

That's good to know, thanks. Reversing it will surely foul the body though, changing from landscape to portrait orientation won't it?

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

timballic wrote:
That's good to know, thanks. Reversing it will surely foul the body though, changing from landscape to portrait orientation won't it?

Yep, it will. I played with the combo last night and, if you keep the ring toward the camera end of the adapter with the tripod foot forward, the end doesn't stick out farther than the lens mount itself, so you'll be fine. I must've had it mounted with the ring closer to the lens end when I was having problems reaching the tilt knob.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:30 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

genji wrote:
In mine the upper and lower holes are not threaded. Instead, in addition to the collar ring screw, there is a separate nut that it screws into. I was disappointed when I received mine but have resigned myself to it (I bought a packet of 4mm metric nuts in case I lost the original).

Like Rich, I've found that the dovetail fits Kirk and Markins screw clamps.

Mine is the same way and I bought spares as well after I almost lost the original.

The dovetail also fits my cheap little MeFOTO Road Trip I keep stowed in my car. It's been perfect for the a7 and sub-300mm lenses.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

Ah, I wondered why some pictures of it show the screw in either an up or a down position, this explains it, the loose nut fits either way.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.