FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

msshea
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Hi,

I have the opportunity to pick up a near-mint, pre-ASPH 90mm f/2 Summicron for what seems like a very reasonable price. I'm wondering what folks' experiences are with this lens.

Thanks for any input,

Merrill

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Joeri89
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

I have one that I use on a Fuji X, and I absolutely love it. Go for it!

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Simon Kennedy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Excellent lens.

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Simon Kennedy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

I have one by the way...

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:57 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Wonderful lens, traded the M-variant because I prefer to use lenses over 50mm on a SLR/DSLR, still have the "R" in original and F-mount (Leitaxed).

Oct 04, 2013 at 03:41 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Which mount, which version, and for what do you plan to use it?

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:20 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Please search for Almas' posts regarding his take on this lans (or lenses, as he has couple copies of it, which should give you a clue)

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:02 PM
msshea
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Sorry, I should have specified. It's the Summicron M. I'll be using it on my X-Pro1 until my M240 arrives (who knows when that'll be!). It's going for $1200.00. SS#: 3263XXX.

Merrill

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:23 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

JaKo wrote:
Please search for Almas' posts regarding his take on this lans (or lenses, as he has couple copies of it, which should give you a clue)

i thought he was a big proponent of AA version not the pre AA?

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Merrill - I own this lens and it is certainly one of my favorites. It is a classic Mandler design which I love. Wide open, it has just a hint of glow and I feel it really shines from f/2.8 onwards. f/2.8 is superb with this lens for portraits and anything from there on is critically sharp right out to the edges. One of the few complaints I hear is that it is fairly large and heavy. Although fairly heavy, it balances nicely on the M bodies. I think you would be super happy with this lens but make sure you would use this FL to warrant the purchase. FWIW - I am using it on the M240...

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:46 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

It's a bit of a lead pipe, but I love it. I've used my copy on an M9, GXR-M, XE1, and a few of the NEXs, and it's been great on all of them. It's a very "kind" portrait lens, in that the SA wide open is effective at hiding small flaws like crows feet and laugh lines without making the big details too soft. I also use it to snipe candids in crowds, though typically stopped down to f/4 where I can still get subject separation without the watercolor bokeh.

Oct 04, 2013 at 11:44 PM
msshea
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

This one's Canadian made. Were some German made, and if so, does it make any difference?

Merrill

Oct 05, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

I had the lens and it was one of my favourites. I regret selling it. It has a very nice rendering. I especially liked it with the elpro 3 for closeup work. I am pretty sure there is only one optical formula for this lens and there are not big differences between the versions (maybe some differences in coatings, but I have not even heard that). I don't think you will regret it if you buy the lens.

Oct 05, 2013 at 09:17 AM
msshea
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

From the Leica serial numbers table, this is a "type 3" lens, and it could be either E49 or E55. Can someone enlighten me as to the significance of the E numbers?

Merrill

Oct 05, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Are you sure you are looking at R lenses. E55 means that it has 55mm filter threads. I believe the earlier ones had Leica specific filter threads and I can't remember what they are called. There was also a bit of change in the body of the lens between older and newer ones, but again I am pretty sure they all had the same optics. Hopefully Doug (telyt) will chime in. He has all of this information and is a great source for everything Leica.

Oct 05, 2013 at 11:09 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Ken Rockhead has some useful info here:

http://kenrockwell.com/leica/images/90mm-f2/90mm-f2-styles.htm

Note that the term pre-ASPH invariably refers to the version immediately before the ASPH version, so in this case that would be the latest version, from '80-'88. The '80-'81 had 49mm filters and the '81-'88 had 55mm filters. All earlier versions are just known as the 90mm f/2 Summicron or 90mm f/2 Summicron-M.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/lens-reviews.htm#902m

Oct 05, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Ok, did a bit more research and although there were two versions of the R 90 summicron before the APO version. They had the same optical formula. The older version is larger and takes Leica Series 7 filters, and the newer version takes E55 (i.e., 55mm threads). I hope this helps.

Oct 06, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

Never mind my comments. I thought this post was about the R mount not the M mount version of the lens.

Oct 06, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

I still have mine. I don't t use the 90mm focal length in the m9 much but this lens is quite interesting. I think like many M lenses, it boils down the what kind of rendering you are looking for. The pre-asph, wide open it is a bit lower contrast, which starts improving by 2.8-4. What I really like about this lens is the wide open: moderate contrast and butter smooth focus falloff with a little glow. The elmarit however has a bit more "pop" if that's your preference.

Oct 06, 2013 at 02:09 AM
msshea
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica Summicron 90mm f/2 pre-ASPH opinions

All very useful information. Thanks everyone!

After some more reading, I'm thinking that perhaps the Elmarit 90 f/2.8 may be more in line with what I'm looking for. As Jabberwockt mentions, it has a bit more pop. It would be used almost exclusively for nature/landscape work.

Merrill

Oct 07, 2013 at 12:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.