FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tokina 17mm reversed on a Nikon PB-6 bellows

480sparky
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina 17mm reversed on a Nikon PB-6 bellows

For those of you who shoot with bellows, you're probably aware that reversing lenses gets you higher magnification. I've been shooting with an old 28mm 2.8 Ai-S lens for over a year now, and have reached mags close to 7:1. I read Nikon's chart where they stated a 20mm reversed would get to 11:1.

So, just for S&G, I got an adapter ring for my Tokina 17/3.5 SL so I could reverse it on my PB-6 bellows. I set up a US dollar bill, and moved in. This is the top part of a number 5 in the serial number.

I figure I'm at 15:1 here. I'll toss on the extension rings some day and see where that gets me.

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:27 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina 17mm reversed on a Nikon PB-6 bellows

When using various lenses, other than as the designer intended, and if working distance permits*, some kind of hood can significantly reduce flare (not seen here) and increase contrast.

For example, this is a major factor with my Leitz Summar 12cm f4.5, whether at macro or distance focus. A standard hood for the filter size gave visible improvement, at distance focus, but then fitting a larger such hood to the front of that hood gave a lot more contrast. I have not looked so closely at the difference for macro but some daylight images have been poor without a hood.

* I had to remove the hood from my Kiron 105mm (normal orientation) recently when it was blocking much of the light from a hotshoe-mounted flash. This was with the lens not fully extended. Something else to watch out for!

Harold

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:00 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.