1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

Boss302
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

Daboyle wrote:
Seems like quite the wedding photographer these people chose to hire who didn't have any backup equipment or a second shooter. They must have spent a good fortune to hire a photographer of that caliber lol. Now seriously - this is the mentality that most guests have - that they will be the saving grace and come save the day when the pro has issues or doesnt get a shot. The truth is if the Bride and Groom hire a REAL pro wedding photographer, they will have backup equipment and cover the bases. Leave the camera at home and stop
...Show more

I'm not trying to be argumentative to your comment and you certainly may be right. However my Mom, Aunts and the Mother of the groom thanked me profusely, spoken & written. I stayed out of the hire photographers way, went to a different room when they came in and treated them as I would appreciate being treated and got photos that filled a gap for these sisters. What's the harm when you follow common, professional courtesy.

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:27 PM
PeteT
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

It's actually funny - I brought my gear to two family weddings. Both times it was my images that the couple used for their Facebook profile pics, not the paid pro. While I do feel I shoot pro, I'm by no means a wedding pro - but would love to learn - hence bringing my camera bag full of toys.

Over the summer we got invited to a sweet 16 party where I knew not a single person! My wife specifically asked me to leave the camera at home so I did. Boy did I regret it, I was bored as hell! And it pissed me off to no end seeing all the shots the "paid" guys missed, even with a second shooter!

Fast forward to the following week and I hear the family hated the pics and my wife had to apologize to them for asking me not to carry my bag. If fact the family booked a makeup "party" at the hall, but I was booked for a concert.

Oct 04, 2013 at 10:02 PM
talexander
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

Went to the wedding, met the photographer (by accident really, I was early so I took some pictures of empty church and she came in) who was very nice. I stayed out of her way and kept an eye on where she was, took about 20 photos all night.

If you want to see the few I posted for them check them out here. By no means any professional quality but I was glad I brought the camera since my GF had to sit at a bridal party table and I was alone most of the night.

http://www.timhd.com/archives/108

Oh and photographer ( http://www.collneuphotography.com/ ) was very nice and I was quite surprised since some of the replies here made me worried that she might start screaming at me if I took my camera out at any point.

Tim

Oct 06, 2013 at 07:19 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

PeteT wrote:
It's actually funny - I brought my gear to two family weddings. Both times it was my images that the couple used for their Facebook profile pics, not the paid pro. While I do feel I shoot pro, I'm by no means a wedding pro - but would love to learn - hence bringing my camera bag full of toys.

Over the summer we got invited to a sweet 16 party where I knew not a single person! My wife specifically asked me to leave the camera at home so I did. Boy did I regret it, I was bored
...Show more

but it is not your fault they hired someone who couldn't deliver, I have to remind myself this if I wasn't hired and wasn't chosen and they were given the chance to do so... then I am not responsible for the results that came from their choice.

Oct 06, 2013 at 07:37 PM
asparkes
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

I can sort of see both sides to this whole thing. For a long time, I was sort of an apologist for guest photographers. I believed (and still do) that a LOT of the online pro wedding tog community overplays how obtrusive this is at the average wedding. They do. We like to gripe. We don't like competition. That's fine.

...however, the last few months I have had a noticeable uptick in people who want to down-and-out compete with me for shots. This is extremely obnoxious. Understandably, the OP here would just be a match on fire, but I do think it would be nice for photographers to be able to say to other guests, "hey, didn't bring my camera because I want to enjoy the day and I'm sure the pro tog is great ... blah blah"

FWIW I never take a camera to a wedding I'm attending.

Oct 06, 2013 at 10:49 PM
swoop
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

So you're going to be alone, bored, and sitting beside strangers for about 4 hours.

Here are your options.
1) Take photos of these strangers.
2) Read a book/magazine/instruction manual.
3) Bring a spare/extended phone battery and headphones and watch the final season of Breaking Bad.
4) Do that other thing you do when you're bored and alone in a room full of strangers.

Oct 06, 2013 at 11:15 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

You should take pictures of other UB's at the wedding. That would be an interesting series. And then write an article about it. And then PetaPixel will continue their Wedding Photography content kick and boom! Immortalized!

Oct 06, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

dhp_sf wrote:
You should take pictures of other UB's at the wedding.

...and sell them 40 x 60 canvas prints of them "taking better shots than those over-priced pros".

Oct 07, 2013 at 07:22 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Taking photos without ticking off photographer? Tips

sherijohnson wrote:
but it is not your fault they hired someone who couldn't deliver, I have to remind myself this if I wasn't hired and wasn't chosen and they were given the chance to do so... then I am not responsible for the results that came from their choice.

And so it goes. Whenever the subject comes up, there are posts from the Walter Mitty's and the Mighty Mouses ("Here I come, to save the day") with their anectdotes about their heroics.

The "pro wedding photographer" to which they refer is more than likely the MWAC who bought a Rebel with a kit lens six months ago to shoot a friend's wedding. Any B&G who fails to do due diligence when hiring a photographer deserve what they get.

I'd like to respond not as a former professional photographer, but as a wedding guest. It's gotten nuts. Half the time you can't see the events of the wedding, especially the ones at the reception, for the wall of Uncle Bob's and Aunt Sally's. If they aren't actually blocking the view, their constant movement and clicking is a distraction. As a guest invited to celebrate the wonderful day, I resent the intrusion. And no, I NEVER take a camera as a guest.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mighty+mouse&FORM=VIRE6#view=detail&mid=F7A2C3972DF191745AF3F7A2C3972DF191745AF3

Oct 07, 2013 at 08:04 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.