FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

ghdarnell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

I have been offered the opportunity to partner with several makeup artists from my area. Do you think this would be particularly beneficial? Do people generally find their hair and makeup or their photographer first?

Oct 03, 2013 at 04:37 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

venue > photographer > everything else (usually).

Some people start with venue > planner > everything else. "partnering" with an MUA does *almost* nothing except provide a link between sites that may help with SEO. Although I did have a makeup artist recommend me to a friend, but I that's kind of a one-off situation.

Though being able to recommend a good MUA is a nice little plus for many clients.

Oct 03, 2013 at 04:39 PM
JR PhotoNY
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

You think the photography market is saturated. Every woman I know is claiming to be a make up artist nowadays. I did book one wedding from a make up artist I have recommended before.

Oct 03, 2013 at 04:49 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

JR PhotoNY wrote:
You think the photography market is saturated. Every woman I know is claiming to be a make up artist nowadays.

Yup, it is pretty bad. I'm usually less than impressed by most of the wedding makeup I see compared to the muas I use for fashion.

I think it is very rare a client will book her mua before her photog, I'm not sure partnering will offer you much OP.

Oct 03, 2013 at 04:55 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

If you know makeup then you know makeup artist are like photographers. A lot of so called professionals around but most are just someone with a brush. My clients, bridal and non-bridal want to know who to use. Most just go to the makeup counter and hope to get someone good. That can ruin a shoot really fast. Many have never hired a real professional so they don't know the difference. Same as with photographers. Even a average photo looks good to most until you see what could have been done.

I only recommend 1 or 2 that I am 100% sure will do a great job. I am sure they will show up on time and give a firm price upfront. I had one great artist but she would always be 15-20 minutes late. No excuse in my book so she is off my list. In other words if I associate my business name with someone I don't have to worry at all about the service provided.

Pick carefully.

Do they get me business? Yes they do send clients.

Oct 03, 2013 at 04:57 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

I set up a bridal photoshoot to help build my portfolio and just try some fun stuff without the timetable of a wedding. I emailed every person on "The Knot" under makeup artists and about 15 are interested in doing the hair and makeup for this shoot for free.

I am sort of thinking as using this shoot and several others as "trials" for who I would be willing to recommend.

I will say all of the people that responded have at least 20 reviews on their profile and 10 weddings done. But I agree, you never know what you will get.

Oct 03, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

How exactly would this "partnership" work? I have a former bride that is an actual makeup artist. I recommend her to anyone that I meet with. If the referral comes from me, they get a complimentary hair and makeup trial.

There's no real benefit to me, but I love my bride. She's cool, does a kick ass job, and I like seeing her every now and then.

Oct 03, 2013 at 10:04 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

Inku Yo wrote:
How exactly would this "partnership" work? I have a former bride that is an actual makeup artist. I recommend her to anyone that I meet with. If the referral comes from me, they get a complimentary hair and makeup trial.

There's no real benefit to me, but I love my bride. She's cool, does a kick ass job, and I like seeing her every now and then.

Basically if the bride asks, we will recommend a few people we have worked with personally. It would be visa versa but probably won't help me too much since the photographer comes before the makeup. But it can't hurt I guess! Worst case she uses my watermarked photos for her profile on The Knot and more people will see us.

Oct 03, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Partnering with Makeup Artists

Depends. Are you just partnering with them to get business?

I've had multiple referrals from a make-up artist/friend of mine and actually booked a few weddings out of it.

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:56 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.