Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

From the famous Columbia River Gorge area. This is one of the waterfalls that is right next to the scenic hwy. I caught this just as the sun was setting about a month ago. This is a 2 shot pano at 16mm as I wanted to get more of the trees on the right to both help balance the shot and to give the trees some substance on that side of the shot.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Oct 03, 2013 at 08:34 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Really like this perspective/comp....never seen this perspective before.

Nicely done!!

Oct 03, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Love it but I am curious if you have a wider view?

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:30 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Lovely light and angle for the waterfalls. It really makes it look like a horse's tail

Oct 03, 2013 at 10:16 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

I got excited when i saw that you were posting something from the Columbia River Gorge.... but this doesnt do anything for me. looks soft with a bunch of halos. sry

Oct 03, 2013 at 11:52 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #6 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Well Jim, I hate to use that HDR word, but this one is leaning that way on my monitor. Even when I switch over to my non-calibrated TFT laptop monitor. Compositionally it looks great, but I guess the cliff walls need to be darker or something, I can't really put my finger on it. Maybe cut back a little on the highlights and shadows sliders.

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:12 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

CarlG wrote:

Nicely done!!

Hey Carl,

I am glad you like it! I was hoping for a slightly different shot from what I have seen at least.

Jim

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:17 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

CarlG wrote:

Nicely done!!

Hey Carl,

I am glad you like it! I was hoping for a slightly different shot from what I have seen at least.

Jim

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:20 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Hi Jim,
I see somewhat different approach of yours for this shot of the waterfalls.
Very interesting composition indeed.
Wondering if I could see more of the waterfalls' left side if not wider view overall.
The waterfalls looks pushed back.. due to the tree, space as well as the tree direction.
Simply put it.. this looks too much balanced at least to me.
Kee

(PS: Can you also give EXIF info for each pano shot? Waterfalls shot and tree shot seem to have different speed.)

Edited on Oct 04, 2013 at 12:08 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:29 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Love it but I am curious if you have a wider view?

Hey Scott, thanks so much! Hmmm... wider?? ummm... hmmm... I don't think I could have gone much wider to the righr as the road is that way, though the trees help block it. To the left... not sure why I didn't get a bit more to the left of it... I better go back next year and find out why I didn't go wider.

Jim

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

killersnowman wrote:
I got excited when i saw that you were posting something from the Columbia River Gorge.... but this doesnt do anything for me. looks soft with a bunch of halos. sry

Ha ha... man Tyler... I shot this one just for you too! I don't really see any halo's, and didn't do any layer masks that would have produced halo's. I will have to look closer later to see if I can see what you are seeing.

Thanks,

Jim

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:20 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

JimKied wrote:
Well Jim, I hate to use that HDR word, but this one is leaning that way on my monitor. Even when I switch over to my non-calibrated TFT laptop monitor. Compositionally it looks great, but I guess the cliff walls need to be darker or something, I can't really put my finger on it. Maybe cut back a little on the highlights and shadows sliders.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I did resist the temptation to add more contrast which would have darkened some of it a bit more. I will go look at it later and see what I can do. I certainly can't be having anyone using the "H" word in conjunction with my photo's....

Jim

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #13 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

cool

saw it last year and no long hike required

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:24 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

You did extremely well here with the DR Jim. I like how the leaves on the tress have that green color instead of black, which is usually what you get when shooting a scene in this kind of light. As for the trees themselves, I'm not sure I'd include them in the photo at all. I'd focus more on the waterfall itself (afterall, it's a waterfall shot . Maybe a different perspective from underneath the tress will be coming later?

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:44 AM
Jase1125
• •
p.1 #15 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

I have been there and you captured it beautifully. A different perspective and it works well.

Oct 04, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #16 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Cool perspective Jim. Very different. It might be a tad tight on the left side but not a huge deal. How many shots did you need to blend for exposure here? I have some mid day waterfall shots including sky and I need minimum 5 shots for dynamic range. So annoying!

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:11 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Jim,

awwww you took this for me!??!!

what i see might be sharpening halos around the trees above the falls and all along the sky line. its probably because you had to resize the pano of massive D800 files and then shrink it down to this tiny web size.

-Tyler

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Nice angle, but it looks way too HDR to me - but that is what you may have been going for.

Oct 04, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Finally a new perspective! Nice.

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:08 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge

Milan Hutera wrote:
You did extremely well here with the DR Jim. I like how the leaves on the tress have that green color instead of black, which is usually what you get when shooting a scene in this kind of light. As for the trees themselves, I'm not sure I'd include them in the photo at all. I'd focus more on the waterfall itself (afterall, it's a waterfall shot . Maybe a different perspective from underneath the tress will be coming later?

Hey Milan, thanks so much! Yeah, the DR with the D800 is amazing. As for the trees, there are some more typical compositions of this one that won't include the trees, but I was going for something different, plus I wanted to incorporate the glow from the sun that is seen on the right side. So for me, the scene is not the waterfalls, it's the whole scene.... waterfalls, trees, golden sunset...

Jim

Oct 05, 2013 at 10:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password