Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Sunpak auto DX-8R

saaketham
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sunpak auto DX-8R

A few months ago, I sold a lot of gear for a colleague of mine, whose father passed away and left him a lot of camera gear, among other things. One item I did not list is a Sunpak auto DX-8R ring light. I talked to him about it and he told me I could have it. I haven't used it till now, because it seems to have the Canon hot-shoe adapter included, not the Nikon. But, having never used a ring-light nor a Sunpak flash of any kind, I am not sure whether I should to buy a Nikon hot-shoe adapter if this model is too old for digital cameras or if this model is good.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oct 03, 2013 at 12:10 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · Sunpak auto DX-8R

The specific shoes only allow you to use manufacturer specific TTL. Unless you are using an older Nikon film camera, then any foot will work.

You'll be using the flash in A or M modes, not any kind of TTL.

Your bigger concern is that you have adapter rings for the lenses that you'll be using this with. IIRC, the 8R came with 49, 52, 55, and maybe 58mm rings. You can use step down rings to adapt larger lenses, but you run the risk of vignetting. The 12R has a larger opening, but is harder to find for sale.

It's a fun flash, great for macro work (they were originally designed for dentists to take shadowless pictures of teeth in the mouth.). They are less useful for portraiture, but good for fill.

Oct 03, 2013 at 10:51 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Sunpak auto DX-8R

Thanks for the info. I haven't used ring flashes ever, so I thought I'd hold on to this and check it out.

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:39 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password