Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

MGH-PA
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

Some of you may have read my thread a while back concerning whether or not I should upgrade to a full frame or not. I decided, for the time being, to keep my 30D and start to add better EF lenses that will serve me well when I plan to upgrade. I currently have a 50/1.8, 18-55 (original...junk), and a 28-135mm. I'm thinking of picking up another SHARP prime for low light shooting much like http://www.johnhafnerphoto.com/. I was thinking of the sigma 30mm/1.4, but then I started to wonder if I should get something with some flexibility since my 18-55 is crap and I hate using it.

I also have plans to add either a 70-200F4 IS or 300mmF4 down the road for wildlife shots.

Thoughts? Low light performance on the 30D is horrendous, so I'm looking for FAST glass under lower lighting. Keep in mind that when I go full frame, I will probably get the 24-105, so that range will be covered then.

Oct 03, 2013 at 06:59 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

Lots of options will generate many opinions. My 2 cents- go for the 300F4. Opens the wildlife door, great for butterflies, etc. Add a 25mm tube and you can get fairly close.

Oct 03, 2013 at 07:55 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

MGH-PA wrote:
Some of you may have read my thread a while back concerning whether or not I should upgrade to a full frame or not. I decided, for the time being, to keep my 30D and start to add better EF lenses that will serve me well when I plan to upgrade. I currently have a 50/1.8, 18-55 (original...junk), and a 28-135mm. I'm thinking of picking up another SHARP prime for low light shooting much like http://www.johnhafnerphoto.com/. I was thinking of the sigma 30mm/1.4, but then I started to wonder if I should get something with some flexibility since my 18-55
...Show more

the 17-55 IS is a mighty fine lens . Just let mine go as I bit the bullet and went for a 5D3 . but I have to say its the one lens in the change over I will really regret loosing .
there's also the Tamron 17-50 which is cheaper.

another option which is ultra fast for a zoom is the new Sigma 18-35 . very good reports comming from that lens .

for something a little more 'normal' then the sigma 17-70 gets good reports also . its 2.8-4 thgough.

as for the 30/1.4 . I had one for a while and its a great little lens . its just been replaced by the newere 'ART' version which is USB dock compliant . that may help as your 30D is not MA capable

One thing I will say yet again though.
get the right lens for your shooting now, not what you may do at some point down the line . I never thought I would go FF and have had good use out of my 17-55 . but obviously the 5D3 wont play with that so i traded it in . now I already had a 24-105 , but the trade in I got on my 17-55 would have covered most of the cost of a good used 24-105 , and was only £50 less than I paid for it . so i figure ive hired a great lens for the best part of a year for almost nothing . and it was soo much better the 24-105 on a crop body

Oct 03, 2013 at 08:10 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

If I was you I'd get a zoom before I got a prime. Sell both of your current zooms. Keep the prime. If you can swing the 17-55 ( go used) it will bring new life to your 30d. I can't think of a single better way to add flexibility to your 30d.

Oct 03, 2013 at 08:17 AM
MGH-PA
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

Thanks, everyone. I think the 17-55 is a good option (forgot about that one ironically). I had thought about the sigma 17-50 f2.8 as well.

Oct 03, 2013 at 08:35 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

I've used both - I don't think you could go wrong with either the Canon or the Sigma. I'd say that they perform similarly wide open at the wide end, but the Canon is sharper at the long end....the canon has a bit better distortion control, but that's easily fixed in post, so I wouldn't let that affect your decision much. The Sigma will be lighter and include a hood too. Unless you purchase the canon used with the hood, that's an extra 40 bucks or so.

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:27 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

I've had mixed results with all of the xxD bodies WRT focusing, but the Canon 17-55 has been one of the better-focusing lenses for me on crop bodies, in case that helps. Some bodies may need MFA, but after it's dialed in it focuses consistently from shot to shot. 30D has no MFA, so be sure to test any lens you buy and arrange a return privilege in case things are off.

Oct 03, 2013 at 11:50 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

The Canon 17-55 f/2.8 is an EF-S lens, which won't work on a full frame body, I think. If your thought (which is a good one, IMO) is to collect quality glass that would be useful on a full frame body, this won't get you there. It's also a bit heavy for a walking-around lens.

When I shot with a 10D, I used a Canon 17-40 f/4L as my walking-around lens; it was an excellent choice for my uses, and it dove-tails well with the 24-105.

A very fast prime would give you the low-light performance you want, but would not give you much in the way of flexibility. Whether that trade-off is good for you I cannot speculate on. Also, a 35/1.4 isn't very expensive (especially used), so perhaps you could get both a quality wide zoom and a good very fast prime.

Just some thoughts....

Mark

Oct 03, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

There should be a sticky on FM, that says for those in need of replacement for the kit lens, look no further than the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, with or without VC. Also given the low price, and high quality of results and good build, the 40 f/2.8 pancake, while an odd FL on 1.6x crop, is worth a look. This way you aren't sinking big dollars into the crop lenses and both will sell easily if you move to FF.

Oct 03, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Robert Way
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

I bought my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 when I went digital with the 30D and love it. Mine does not have VC and it is incredibly sharp. Absolutely no regrets with this lens.

Oct 04, 2013 at 12:48 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

17-40L and 24-105L are a wise choice in case you will move to full-frame . Don't miss EF 85 F/1.8 also.

Oct 04, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need a lens recommendation for 30D.

gabimaster wrote:
17-40L and 24-105L are a wise choice in case you will move to full-frame . Don't miss EF 85 F/1.8 also.

sorry but I strongly dissagree . for all the time your shooting crop your loosing a stop . so (and as the OP says the 30D is no great Hi -iso body anyway) your putting up with much higher ISO's

like Ive said before I went from a pair of F4 zooms (12-24/4 and 24-105) and was never really happy with them on my crop . I used the 24-105 because I felt I was still reach limited and that I never really felt it was not wide enough (I used the 12-24 at 12mm most of the time ). but I bit the bullet and went for a 17-55 and the difference on my 7D was like night and day. its just soo much the better lens on a crop .
and like i mentioned the tradein price i got on it was only a little below what i could pick up a good 24-105 for (I still had my L so didnt need to buy) and was only a £50 less than I paid for it .

a standard zoom on a crop I seriously wouldnt look past any of the 2.8 offereings
Id only go the f4 route if i was definatly going the FF option within 3 months or didnt think I was going to shoot much in the time before the FF switch

Oct 04, 2013 at 04:43 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.