Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NPS Sponsor

PeteT
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NPS Sponsor

Can I ask where everyone finds their NPS sponsor?

I have been shooting concerts professionally for a while and have had the opportunity to work with some amazing artists including Mantisyahu, Three Days Grace, Drowning Pool, John Oates (exclusive for LI, NY), Joe Walsh, KANSAS, Rick Springfield, Queen Extravaganza (exclusive NY photographer), Colbie Colliat, Hollywood Undead, Mickey Hart (formerly of The Grateful Dead) and most recently Pat Benatar. Forget all the tribute bands.

I've been published by several online media outlets like AOL Patch, Examiner.com, Soundboard411 as well as local media. My work has been used by Kansas, Queen and several venues in the NY area.

My social portfolio is very much in need of attention, Wish I had time for all the shoots to be published... But you can see some of my work here: https://www.facebook.com/Yourbandshots

Currently I meet all the needed gear requirements as well as the cutsheets... Will be joining PPA soon (mainly for the professional liability insurance) which is also a plus with NPS...

Just need a sponsor - anyone willing to help direct me to someone?

Oct 02, 2013 at 10:51 PM
John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NPS Sponsor

Everybody's yer friend until the rent is due.. Bueller.. Bueller?

Oct 03, 2013 at 04:53 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NPS Sponsor

I've sponsored a few people from here on FM, but I've always known them, known their work, knew they had a professional website. For whatever reason, I take my NPS sponsorships pretty seriously.

My suggestion is to get involved in a professional forum community, like this one, so people can get to know you. Or get someone you know locally to sponsor you.

Oct 03, 2013 at 03:09 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NPS Sponsor

Or just get to know the NPS Rep for your area. Explain the situation to them. If everything else is good to go, they still accept applications without a sponsor.

Oct 03, 2013 at 03:24 PM
PeteT
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NPS Sponsor

Honestly - I was hoping to use this need as a networking tool as well. Since I primarily shoot concerts - there is very little interaction with other people working the pit. I get more contact with other professionals via facebook then during our 3 songs in the pit then wandering off in a crowded venue looking for a place to edit and ship the money shots...

FB has been awesome for this, and I've interacted with some greats (like David Bergman who personally took the time to give me pointers before my first professional show)... would LOVE to bring this to real life too!

Side question - is there a place here to discuss entertainment / music / concert photography?

Pete

Oct 03, 2013 at 04:09 PM
PeteT
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NPS Sponsor

So bumping this up, are there any fellow concert shooters here? Especially in NY? Would LOVE to connect with you, maybe share contacts or meet up at some of the CMJ shows next week if anyone else is shooting them...

Oct 07, 2013 at 03:29 PM
leewoolery
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NPS Sponsor

Pete:

I didn't need a sponsor. They just checked out my websites and references and since I own my own photo company plus work in the media they said a sponsor wasn't necessary.

But...they check you out before offering a membership considering they are sending thousands of dollars of photo equipment to someone they don't even know?

It's a great service when you need a loaner when an item's in for repair or you want to try out the latest Nikon items on a trial basis before you purchase but 2 weeks is max for loaners unless there is a problem getting parts for a repair or some other extenuating circumstance.

They will hold you to it....but still not a bad deal considering the use of equipment and all you have to take care of is the shipping to and from.

Hey...NPS even sent me a D3, 24-70 and 70-200 to try out...and paid for the shipping...before I was even a member... when I was considering a switch back from Canon about 5 years ago.

It worked....they were very confident that using the D3 would seal the deal and they were right.

Good luck,

Lee Woolery
Speedshotphoto
www.speedshotphoto.com

Edited on Oct 08, 2013 at 12:58 AM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2013 at 04:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mkchang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NPS Sponsor

PeteT wrote:
Honestly - I was hoping to use this need as a networking tool as well. Since I primarily shoot concerts - there is very little interaction with other people working the pit. I get more contact with other professionals via facebook then during our 3 songs in the pit then wandering off in a crowded venue looking for a place to edit and ship the money shots...

FB has been awesome for this, and I've interacted with some greats (like David Bergman who personally took the time to give me pointers before my first professional show)... would LOVE to bring this
...Show more

There isn't a specific section to discuss concert photography, however a few pop up in the people section.

I shoot for Getty Images (entertainment and sports) and shoot a lot of the bigger acts that come down here in the south.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:51 AM
PeteT
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NPS Sponsor

mkchang wrote:
There isn't a specific section to discuss concert photography, however a few pop up in the people section.

I shoot for Getty Images (entertainment and sports) and shoot a lot of the bigger acts that come down here in the south.

It must be amazing shooting for Getty! So often events and media outlets lock out everyone else for an exclusive with Getty. Personally I'd love to work a pit with the likes of David Bergman or Kevin Mazur. In my much smaller circle we love to trade war stories and our plans for future assignments.

With the reach Getty offers, those war stories have to be amazing!

Oct 08, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NPS Sponsor

I was going to say can't Nikon just look at ones' website to see if they have pro quality work?

Oct 08, 2013 at 05:00 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NPS Sponsor

Dustin Gent wrote:
I was going to say can't Nikon just look at ones' website to see if they have pro quality work?

That's what they do ! Here in Belgium/France they are very serious about this and really check every info you give them. I was the photographer for a fashion company and they almost didn't make me NPS because the company didn't have photography as it's main goal. So all you guys that want to become NPS: Give them all the info you can (proof that you are a pro).

Oct 08, 2013 at 06:31 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NPS Sponsor

Hook me up for a concert and I'll sponsor you...

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Bastian Bleu
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · NPS Sponsor

Haha yeah if you can get me into the Nine Inch Nails concert at Barclay I'll sponsor you too.. :P

Oct 12, 2013 at 05:13 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password