Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Need advice for strobes kit.... Tks.

miguellara
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Need advice for strobes kit.... Tks.

I am starting to get people to call me for portrait sessions, family and baby sessions and a couple of girls that want some shots for their modeling portfolio. I will also be shooting some furniture, chairs and sofas at work.

I really want to deliver quality images, because I figure that from those people I could get some word of mouth recommendations and the better my work looks, the more people will (hopefully) call me.
So I decided to invest and start building my first studio kit, and if the business don't pick up, I figure I still get to learn yet another aspect of photography :-) .

I've been doing my homework and I decided to start with Paul C. Buff Gear.
I am planning to get 3 lights kit with one 5in1 reflector to use as an extra source of light (bounced). I will also get an 47" Octabox with grid, a 20 and a 40 Grid for moonlight 7' reflectors, the Vagabond mini PSU, and a set of Cyber Commander and Receivers for the lights.

Where I am having trouble is in picking the 3 lights, I know I want to use 1 for background, 1 for hairlight/accent light/rimlight and 1 for key light and maybe use the reflector for fill.

Another scenario would be using two lights to blow the background for a hightkey shot and use the other light for key and reflector as fill.

Yet another scenario maybe a black background with 1 hairlight, 1 keylight and 1 light as fill.

So I can see how 3 light would bring me some versatility on my studio and outdoors .
I want to get 1 Einstein for my keylight, and I was thinking on getting 2 b400's for the backgrounds and hair/rim/accent lights.

B800's will be too much power for my small garage studio, that's why I was thinking 1 Einstein and 2 b400's would be a good match.
And when I go outdoors I could bring the Einstein as key and maybe 1 b400 or reflector for fill.

Does that sound like a good plan?

In the beginning I was planning to get all 3 Einstein's but, aren't Einstein's kind of overkill to function as background/hair/rim/accent lights? I know they are great outdoors for the power compared to the b400's but having one Einstein ad the keylight and a b400 for fill, should be good enough for outdoors wouldn't it?

Pricewise, there is not that big of a difference... maybe about $400 difference between getting the whole kit with 3 Einstein's vs the 1 Einstein with 2 b400's kit. (after PCB discounts and shipping).

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Oct 02, 2013 at 09:15 PM
cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Need advice for strobes kit.... Tks.

Get all three Einsteins. You won't always be using that 2+1 setup and you'll value the versatility later.

<Chas>

Oct 02, 2013 at 11:23 PM
KCook0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Need advice for strobes kit.... Tks.

Or ... 2 Einsteins and 2 cheap speedlights. Then you have 4 lights.

Kelly

Oct 03, 2013 at 03:59 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password