New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

wbulr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Hello -

Looking for input on a flash or strobe that will cycle fast. Using this at events/races. SB-800's just won't cycle fast enough with 5 cells.

Oct 02, 2013 at 03:47 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Adding another SB-800 would reduce the power output of each, allowing faster recharge time, and powering them from an external battery such as the Quantum Turbo would allow even faster recycling; enough so that you have to be careful that the Speedlights don't over-heat.

Instead of two SB-800s, you could also go for a high-power flash like a Quantum T5 or X5, or a CheetahLight CL-180 or CL-360. All of these require external batteries.

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

First, how much power do you need? Does the AB 800 have enough. If so you can go from there to choose one with faster recycling. Also, using a more efficient reflector like Elinchrom's sports reflectors will allow you to shoot at a lower power setting thereby reducing recycle times.

Oct 03, 2013 at 02:00 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Gregg Heckler wrote:
...Does the AB 800 have enough. ...Also, using a more efficient reflector like Elinchrom's sports reflectors will allow you to shoot at a lower power setting thereby reducing recycle times.

He's not using an AB 800 (Alien Bees), he's using an SB-800 (Nikon Speedlight).

However a Better Beamer might have an effect on the Speedlight similar to what the Elinchrom Sports Reflector would have on the AB.

Oct 03, 2013 at 07:55 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Events and races? You need a lot more than a SB-800. Not enough range and likely not enough power to spam flash.

The SB-910/900 with SD-9 refreshes a cycle at full-power at about 1 second. Up to 200mm range also. If that's not enough then you're going to have to double or triple SB-900/910 units and/or use third party lighting like Cheetahs or Quantums (assuming you need portable). If you need more power that's portable, Elinchrom Quadras.

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Oops, right Brian, damn my 55 year old eyes and cell phones.

As MazeRunner says an SB-910 and Battery pack will help get you there or Quadra and A head. Very fast.

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:41 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Gregg Heckler wrote:
...damn my 55 year old eyes...

I know what you mean, except at the opposite end; my 58-year-old eyes need glasses to drive...or pretty much to see anything more than 10 feet away sharply.

Oct 03, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

By the way, what type of batteries are you using?

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Check out Lumedyne ... either for HV battery pack for your flash or for head/pack combo.

Their site is having some glitches atm, but it looks like they've added a new battery for direct use with CaNikon flashes, as well as their HV cable based batteries.

How fast you can refill your capacitors is going to be impacted by what battery you are using to refill them with. Using a BetterBeamer, etc. may get you a more concentrated light throw, which may allow you to discharge less for each flash, but if you are fully dumping your capacitor on a given shot ... it's refill time. How big the caps are (which are limited to the ones in your SB-800) and how fast they can be refilled is gonna depend on what you are trying to fill them with.

Quantum (iirc) also made a small battery that mounted under your camera body and cabled up to a dummy battery. Can't recall the name of it atm, maybe someone else can.

http://www.lumedyne.com/

I just called Lumedyne and they are working on the website to fix the issues ... but their phone still works just fine.

You can check out B&H for info as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?phd=4291357737&atclk=Category_Flash+Battery+Packs&ci=645&Ns=p_PRICE_20&N=4294204332

Rated to recycle 1.3 secs @ full power, faster of course for lower settings.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660568-REG/Lumedyne_HV_Tinycycler_Battery_Kit.html

Oct 04, 2013 at 02:02 PM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

You can consider the Quantum Turbo battery pack. Posts on Miranda mention, "I shoot weddings with the D2H/SB800/Rayovac 15 min/Quantum Turbo and it works like a charm. I can shoot well over a 1000 images on one set of rechargeables and the Quantum not going below 2 lights" and "I use the Quantum Turbo and I really like it but you are really only reducing your (full power) recycle time from about 2.5 - 3 seconds with in flash batteries to 1-2 seconds with the Quantum Turbo. "

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Have you tried an external battery pack? Or tried Quantum's QFlash with a turbo battery pack. I here good things for their newer camera specific flashes also.

Next step in my book was the Elinchrom Quaudra flash 400ws vs the 200 of the QFlash with turbo combo but you can get 400ws with Quantoms XFlash and Qpac iirc battery setup.

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:23 AM
wbulr

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Thanks for all the good feedback. I bought two Quantum Turbo's form a FM member and shot a TRI this weekend. Worked like a charm!

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

wbulr wrote:
Thanks for all the good feedback. I bought two Quantum Turbo's form a FM member and shot a TRI this weekend. Worked like a charm!

Cool.

Yup @ how fast can you refill those capacitors.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

Be careful not to over heat your Speedlights, that's the nice thing about the Quantum's and quadras.

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:20 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for Flash or Strobes that will cycle fast

I can have my sb-900's on half power and using a Turbo SC from quantum, I get instant recycle. Like its been said, just dont fire off to many in a row, you can over heat your speedlight.

Oct 18, 2013 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.