FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Yellowstone Closed?

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone Closed?

I was planning to go to Yellowstone for Canadian Thanksgiving Oct 12 Weekend.

I have read some reports that the park is entirely closed until the budget issues are resolved between Republicans and Democrats, which could take weeks.

Anyone near the Gardner Entrance that can tell me if this is true? Can you drive the Lamar Valley? Can I drive and look for bison up toward Old faithful?

Shame if its true because this is a great time of the year.

Scott

Oct 02, 2013 at 11:23 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone Closed?

Scott, I have also heard that the gates are down, restrooms and other facilities closed and they even turned off Old Faithful (well maybe not that). It is such a shame as the park brings in lots of revenue and all the park workers are furloughed as far as I can tell.
Don't you love being held hostage by ideologues?
Eric

Oct 02, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone Closed?

Yes Scott, currently the park and all others are closed. There is talk of legislation to open the big parks like Yellowstone, Yosemite and such. I'm pretty confident that will happen. Anyway your trip is so far off we should be out of this mess by then. I too am planning a visit later in November so I understand your concern.

Tim

Oct 02, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone Closed?

Thanks Eyelaser and Tim Kuhn.

Tim: You really think that they will open the parks in 10 days for Canadian Thanksgiving?

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:24 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yellowstone Closed?

Scott,

The way things are looking around here now, I think you might be better off enjoying your amazing Canadian Rockies. There is no doubt that geysers are still gushing and the elk are still bellowing, I just don't think there will be a lot of opportunities for photographers to do much picture taking until calmer heads prevail... November 2014 (maybe ).

regards,
bruce

Oct 02, 2013 at 03:00 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yellowstone Closed?

Scott Stoness wrote:
Thanks Eyelaser and Tim Kuhn.

Tim: You really think that they will open the parks in 10 days for Canadian Thanksgiving?

They were talking about a quick opening of the popular parks Scott. I don't know if I would bet on it but I sure would pay attention to it for the next few days. Also check this thread ;https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1244501

Tim

Oct 02, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yellowstone Closed?

OwlsEyes wrote:
Scott,

The way things are looking around here now, I think you might be better off enjoying your amazing Canadian Rockies. There is no doubt that geysers are still gushing and the elk are still bellowing, I just don't think there will be a lot of opportunities for photographers to do much picture taking until calmer heads prevail... November 2014 (maybe ).

regards,
bruce

My daughter is going to school (Architecture) at Montana State (Bozeman) which is only an hour from Yellowstone so I was going to visit her and visit Yellowstone but maybe I get her to visit me.

Unfortunately the leafs usually drop off in 2nd week off Oct in Banff Park, so I was hoping to follow them down.

I guess I will spend my time shooting mating moose instead.

Thanks Scott

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Philip Ashely

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yellowstone Closed?

Hi Scott. Lucky you, chasing Moose. I spent a week in a van last year, chasing Moose in New Hampshire, saw 1 (one) crossing the road at distance?

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yellowstone Closed?

Philip - I find moose whenever I go looking for them it seems. Last weekend I saw and took pictures of 3 between sunrise and getting ready for hiking. You should visit Kananaskis.

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:46 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yellowstone Closed?

Maybe you should sell your moose attractor spray?
Sorry you may not be able to see Yellowstone this Fall. You may want to have some state parks planned out as a fallback. The skies locally are pretty dark....

Oct 03, 2013 at 02:02 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yellowstone Closed?

Hmmm, don't they have to keep the road open up to Cooke City all year? If so, well, that's through Lamar. Not sure when the road east from Cooke City closes.

Oct 03, 2013 at 03:10 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yellowstone Closed?

dgdg: Moose attactor spay does nothing for my wife I will google the state parks. Maybe some nightscape shots.

hnilsson: I think that even the road between Cooke City and Gardiner is closed.

-----------------------------------------

from Billings Gazzette: http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/government-shutdown-forces-yellowstone-park-closure/article_96c148e3-56fc-5a7c-930f-7c9cc57672bd.html

Residents of Cooke City and Silver Gate, towns that in the winter are only accessible by automobile through the North and Northeast entrances to Yellowstone National Park, will still be able to travel through the park despite the government shutdown.

The residents are issued stickers for their cars that allow passage. The park’s North Entrance at Mammoth Hot Springs to the towns is the only winter route open to automobile traffic.

“The gates are being staffed because we still have employees and contractors coming in and out,” said Al Nash, the park’s chief of public affairs. “So it’s not quite as simple as just closing the gates.”

Everyone else, including the private contractors who work at the park — like Xanterra employees — will be restricted to where they work.

If they want to get from one side of the park to the other, "They'll have to go around," Wenk said.

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:07 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yellowstone Closed?

Scott Stoness wrote:
dgdg: Moose attactor spay does nothing for my wife I will google the state parks. Maybe some nightscape shots.

hnilsson: I think that even the road between Cooke City and Gardiner is closed.

-----------------------------------------

from Billings Gazzette: http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/government-shutdown-forces-yellowstone-park-closure/article_96c148e3-56fc-5a7c-930f-7c9cc57672bd.html

Residents of Cooke City and Silver Gate, towns that in the winter are only accessible by automobile through the North and Northeast entrances to Yellowstone National Park, will still be able to travel through the park despite the government shutdown.

The residents are issued stickers for their cars that allow passage. The park’s North Entrance at Mammoth Hot Springs to the towns is the only
...Show more

Grrrrrrr

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:15 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yellowstone Closed?

The White House is a national historic park and some lady was so pissed that the gates were closed that she tried to drive her car through them.

Well that’s my interpretation of what happened today.

Makes as much sense as the Government shutting down. "Can't we all just get along."

Morris

Oct 03, 2013 at 09:31 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yellowstone Closed?

As a photo tour operator in Yellowstone and Grand Teton N.P. I received an email from the NPS stating that I cannot enter the parks and conduct business under my permit until further notice. Luckily I finished my last photo tour a day before the shutdown.....

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yellowstone Closed?

it looks like even highway 191 is not available for photography. The road is open but I likely will be harrassed if I walk in to take pictures from the open road.

Grrr. This would have been a great spot for milky way shots.I was thinking of an alternative of staying at big sky.

It looks like I will spending time shopping with my daughter instead of taking pictures

----------------------------------------------------
from: http://www.kxlf.com/news/yellowstone-national-park-will-close-in-the-event-of-a-government-shutdown/

While park entrances would be closed, those gates would still be staffed to turn people away, or to allow essential workers or deliveries in. People who live in the communities of Silver Gate and Cooke City, who can only get to their homes during winter months by traveling through the park, will also be allowed through the gates. Those residents already have special stickers allowing them to travel through the park to their homes. But, they would not be allowed to stop and use park facilities, such as hiking trails.

A portion of U.S. Highway 191 passes through the far northwestern corner of Yellowstone National Park. Nash says that road would remain open in the event of a closure, but he says people will not be allowed to use park trails along the highway. He says park rangers will patrol the road and would enforce no-use rules, traffic regulations and other park rules during any shutdown.

The park is scheduled to close interior roads for the winter, on Monday, November 4th this year. Some of those roads would re-open to snow coach and snowmobile use only, once enough winter snow has accumulated.

Oct 04, 2013 at 09:27 AM
harland
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yellowstone Closed?

Maybe you can find one of those Cooke City resident stickers on Ebay. Darn shame about the park.
Darryl

Oct 05, 2013 at 10:57 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Yellowstone Closed?

The bright side of your delay will be the diminished hordes of frenzied tourists scaring away the wildlife, causing bison jams, stopping wherever you do, jumping in front of your camera to get a closer shot with their cellphone.... In addition, there will be more big mammals at lower elevations in their prime winter coats, better chances they will be dusted with snow, bighorns banging big horns, and so on....

Oct 05, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Yellowstone Closed?

harland: Thats what I though - I need to make friends with someone in Cooke City. Hopefully it will open soon. Thanks. Scott

jdc562: The park closes on Nov 4th so the benefit of the diminished hordes will not be enjoyed by anyone. Actually what you describe is much better in October, thats why I wanted to go in October. My experience is that Oct and end of April/early May are the nices seasons for driving in Yellowstone. Canadian thanksgiving in Yellowstone is perfect timing (Oct 14) usually. But all of that is theorectical. I might just go to Gardiner and try and get pronghorns and wolf and elk. Scott

Oct 05, 2013 at 01:37 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.