Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
       15       end

Archive 2013 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

It would be wonderful to have 1D build quality with a high MP/DR sensor, but that's not practical for my budget. Something around the price of the D800e or the new Sony is much more realistic.

Oct 24, 2013 at 08:12 PM
MintMar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

So, did anything pop up?

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

ggreene wrote:
Be prepared for some sticker shock as a pro build body (1DX/D4) with a D800 like sensor won't be in the D800 price range. Unless you mean pseudo pro build.

exactly my point: canon will never release a camera w/ the IQ and value of the D800. They will always cripple it in some way to force people to buy the 1D series body.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

pookipichu wrote:
The 1DS3 is a great camera, if I could merge the rock solid AF of the 1DS3 with the sensor from my D800, I wouldn't be looking at camera forums for a long while.... pro AF and build with a great high megapickles sensor, someone, please.

mmm... megapickles...

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

MintMar wrote:
So, did anything pop up?

only the giant hard-on I got after testing out my D800

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

MintMar wrote:
So, did anything pop up?

I went to the Photo Plus Expo today in NYC and Canon has nothing new. Their booth is nice. But, Nikon's was cleaner better. They had several of the new waterproof 1 series on a nice display. Cool camera. The Epson booth had some amazing images on display, WOW. The fujifilm booth was packed. Always. Sony had some awesome and huge (6 foot!) prints from A7R files. Amazing. They had a A7R with the metabones Canon EF adapter and a 24-70 2.8L attached. Gotta say the A7R focuses very well.

Huge Print from Sony A7R

The Zeiss 55mm f1.4 is VERY large and heavy no doubt!

Hasselblad bling (pure vanity)

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

ggreene wrote:
Dream on then.

People in Nikonland do a fair bit of complaining about the D800 having too many pixels, arguably because such enormous quantities of data require the purchase of a new computer. They also complain that the D800's framerate is an anemic and absolutely intolerable 5FPS, a massive downgrade from the 6FPS of its predecessor.

These are all very first-world problems, of course, but the point I'm trying to make is simply this; I don't think the FPS preference and the resolution preference is commonly found in the same person. Hence, I don't think Canon would benefit from applying those two characteristics to the same camera, and then charging $8-10K for it. I know I would never pay that much for a camera because it had both resolution and speed.

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:07 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

Sneakyracer wrote:
I went to the Photo Plus Expo today in NYC and Canon has nothing new. Their booth is nice. But, Nikon's was cleaner better. They had several of the new waterproof 1 series on a nice display. Cool camera. The Epson booth had some amazing images on display, WOW. The fujifilm booth was packed. Always. Sony had some awesome and huge (6 foot!) prints from A7R files. Amazing. They had a A7R with the metabones Canon EF adapter and a 24-70 2.8L attached. Gotta say the A7R focuses very well.

Very interesting that Sony actually had the adapter and Canon lenses in their own booth.

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:14 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

this must be the longest thread ever for an announcement that never happened and by far the longest thread ever two weeks past an announcement that never happened

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:14 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

I bet Sony is definitely a four letter word with Canon right now...

skibum5 wrote:
Very interesting that Sony actually had the adapter and Canon lenses in their own booth.

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

Not even close. Have you seen the D400 thread? The title keeps changing as the months pass.

EBH

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:20 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

Gunzorro wrote:
Chez -- I can't agree with your view, and must endorse ggreene's points.

ame for the 5D3, not the same as the 5D2 sensor. Maybe not a huge leap, but certainly improved sensors.

true, the 5D3 sensor isn't the same as the 5D2 sensor.... it's actually marginally worse at ISO100 for DR and natural light color sensitivity and worse in both respects than the old sensor from the 1Ds3

OTOH the special video binning is a massive improvement for video (certainly when you use ML RAW and get all you can out of it, vastly better than anything the 5D2 can do for video) and the much reduced high iso banding and such make it, at times, perform noticeably better at high iso (other times the difference isn't really all that noticeable real world) and yeah it has a good 1/2 stop better SNR at ISO100-800 although that's not that big of a deal since the 5D2 was fairly clean there but it can help a bit at times, especially at 400 and 800, can add in a touch more sharpening.

Edited on Oct 25, 2013 at 01:25 AM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:20 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

EB-1 wrote:
Not even close. Have you seen the D400 thread? The title keeps changing as the months pass.

EBH

hah I haven't but that is funny

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:24 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

Arka wrote:
I don't think Canon would benefit from applying those two characteristics to the same camera, and then charging $8-10K for it. I know I would never pay that much for a camera because it had both resolution and speed.

I agree, hence I was never in favor of unifying the 1Ds and the 1D but that's exactly what Canon did and went out of their way to say in multiple press releases. So the question really becomes is Canon going to backtrack on this?
If not, the 1DX2 will probably be a high MP, high FPS body. Perhaps the rumors of the 7D2 as a mini 1DX will be Canon's approach to a mid level sports body using the same sensor simply cut down to 1.6x.

jamesmorophoto wrote:
exactly my point: canon will never release a camera w/ the IQ and value of the D800. They will always cripple it in some way to force people to buy the 1D series body.

My response was to the person saying they wanted 1D build with a D800 sensor. I'm sorry but the D800 is not close to a 1D/D4 in build so Nikon crippled it as well to get it into the $3000 range.

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:40 PM
AJSJones
• • •
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

How come you all missed the actual announcement? Canon's revolutionary response to Sony here

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

AJSJones wrote:
How come you all missed the actual announcement? Canon's revolutionary response to Sony here

Ha-ha!

Why does your avatar remind me of Insane Clown Posse?

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

AJSJones wrote:

My favorite bit;

“The new EOS 75D Digital SLR camera is a game-changing DSLR model that incorporates our future-proof sensor architecture, introduced in 2009. With the redesigned thin body, Bionic Luminance Undulation Reflex™ (BLUR) Aliasing filter, and vastly improved swivel screen, photographers will enter into unforseen realms of creative nirvana.” said Yama Morimoto, executive vice president and general manager, Incremental Improvements and Price Increases Group, Canon U.S.A. “Sony may have released a far smaller full-frame camera for hundreds of dollars more, but Canon has out-innovated them with the much larger APS-C EOS 75D, that allows you to turn regular photos of your cats and children into priceless works of art.”

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

it's not on the Canon USA site yet. Does this mean no 7D II?

EBH

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

EB-1 wrote:
it's not on the Canon USA site yet.

What's not?

Oct 26, 2013 at 03:07 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · Canon is coming with something new on Oct 12th?

The 75D in the announcement.

EBH

Oct 26, 2013 at 03:14 AM
       15       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

15       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password