New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · what do you suggest for a monopod

lesgage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · what do you suggest for a monopod

I need a good light weight mono pod that will support my 300 F2.8 and my 500....heavy duty but light as possible...something I can travel with ..who makes the best one, and what do you suggest?
Les

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · what do you suggest for a monopod

The Feisol CM-1471 Rapid works just fine with my 300/2.8 and 500/4 lenses. The RRS MH-02 is worth a look, too.

Feisol CM-1471 Rapid, http://www.feisol.net/feisol-monopod-cm1471-rapid-p-6.html
RRS MH-02, http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-02-Pro

Oct 02, 2013 at 07:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · what do you suggest for a monopod

+1

Oct 02, 2013 at 07:51 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · what do you suggest for a monopod

jcolwell wrote:
The Feisol CM-1471 Rapid works just fine with my 300/2.8 and 500/4 lenses. The RRS MH-02 is worth a look, too.

Feisol CM-1471 Rapid, http://www.feisol.net/feisol-monopod-cm1471-rapid-p-6.html
RRS MH-02, http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-02-Pro

I bought the Feisol based on his recommendation, although I went with the Kirk head instead. Love it!

Paul

Oct 02, 2013 at 02:11 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · what do you suggest for a monopod

I've been using a Manfrotto 679B for decades. Supports 20+ lbs but weighs 1.4 lb.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Oct 10, 2013 at 04:12 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · what do you suggest for a monopod

henryp wrote:
I've been using a Manfrotto 679B for decades. Supports 20+ lbs but weighs 1.4 lb.

Same here. It's simple and sturdy. I use it for sideline and trackside sports shooting and prefer its flip locks over twist locks for speed. But, if the OP is a nature shooter and needs a bit more height or prefers (quieter operating) twist lock legs, he made a good choice getting the Feisol.

Al

Oct 11, 2013 at 03:48 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · what do you suggest for a monopod

The best monopod I ever owned and the one I guess will stay with me until I quit photography, play a harp and sit on clouds is a Gitzo G1563 Mk2 aluminum 4 section monopod.

I bought it not so long after the year 2000 to support my Nikon FM2 (with MD-12) and 200-600 zoom (should be about the weight of a D3/D4 with 300 f2,8 lens attached). I kind of misplaced the monopod a few years later and since I couldnīt find it (thought I left it in the woods) I bought replacements from Manfrotto, Cullmann, Giottos and Velbon. One after the other I sold the replacements for my "lost" Gitzo because they were clumsy, flimsy or just did not support the weight without some flexing.

After moving through 5 different countries and now moving to a different city in Germany I finally found my trusted Gitzo back again. Found it in a guitar case (I donīt pay guitar because Iīm horrible at it but I lugged that case around nonetheless).

If I would have to buy a replacement I now know it will be another Gitzo product

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM
MX727
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · what do you suggest for a monopod

I'm 6'4" and needed a taller monopod: Giottos 3290B

I've been extremely happy.

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:26 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.