New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

JustinR
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

Great to read the report and see all the comments here.

I was on the fence between the Sigma 35 and the EF35 IS when they were $900 and $750, but now that they're $900 and $550, it's kind of a no-brainer for me; it is just a hobby and I'm on a budget after all.

Going to pull the trigger on the 35 IS pretty soon.

Oct 02, 2013 at 02:09 PM
pookipichu
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

I wouldn't be surprised if body makers decided to give their own lenses and advantage by incorporating screwy algorithms to make 3rd party lenses focus unreliably. If you can't beat them with a better lens, then hobble the competition.

Oct 02, 2013 at 03:05 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

pookipichu wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if body makers decided to give their own lenses and advantage by incorporating screwy algorithms to make 3rd party lenses focus unreliably. If you can't beat them with a better lens, then hobble the competition.

Under the assumption that Canon has no obligation to coordinate with Sigma (or anyone else), there's no blame here. Really, if a third-party lens fails to properly focus, the onus is on that lens' manufacturer. They should have gotten it right before they released it.

And if you want to compare a relatively old Canon design to a sparkling new Sigma design- note that there's optical qualities that the Canon's have that the Sigma doesn't, including CA control and background rendering, along with focus speed (let alone accuracy and consistency). If you look at another example, say Sigma's 24-70/2.8 and Canon's, there's simply no contest; the Sigma is so far behind that OS can't help it.

Now, don't accuse me as labeling Canon as 'ethical'- no well-run business is. But they have no obligation to tailor their products in support of third-party lenses, and they're far from being eclipsed by Sigma.

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

johnctharp wrote:
...Now, don't accuse me as labeling Canon as 'ethical'- no well-run business is.

I think that a well-run business is, by definition, an ethical business. Problem is, there are very few ethical businesses...

YMMV.

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:00 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

jcolwell wrote:
I think that a well-run business is, by definition, an ethical business. Problem is, there are very few ethical businesses...

YMMV.

No, I'm definitely with you there- but is it a question of ethics as to whether Canon supports unauthorized third-party lenses?

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

johnctharp wrote:
...Now, don't accuse me as labeling Canon as 'ethical'- no well-run business is.

jcolwell wrote:

YMMV.

johnctharp wrote:
No, I'm definitely with you there-

johnctharp wrote:
... is it a question of ethics as to whether Canon supports unauthorized third-party lenses?

IMO, no.

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:19 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

If Canon was not supportive of 3rd party lenses, that to me would not be unethical but it's a moot point because it will never happen.

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

AFAIK, Canon is generally not "supportive" of third-party lenses. I suspect that some companies have formal agreements with Canon (maybe Zeiss, ZE), and others rely on reverse engineering (maybe, most of the rest of them). Canon does not pursue companies that make EF-mount compatible lenses, but they could...

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Brea
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

johnctharp wrote:
Under the assumption that Canon has no obligation to coordinate with Sigma (or anyone else), there's no blame here. Really, if a third-party lens fails to properly focus, the onus is on that lens' manufacturer. They should have gotten it right before they released it.

And if you want to compare a relatively old Canon design to a sparkling new Sigma design- note that there's optical qualities that the Canon's have that the Sigma doesn't, including CA control and background rendering, along with focus speed (let alone accuracy and consistency). If you look at another example, say Sigma's 24-70/2.8 and Canon's,
...Show more

That's the old Sigma you are talking about. Everyone is raving about the new Sigma ART series line of lenses. Amazing, and a great rival to Canon. The old Sigma is in the past.

Oct 02, 2013 at 06:26 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

Brea wrote:
That's the old Sigma you are talking about. Everyone is raving about the new Sigma ART series line of lenses. Amazing, and a great rival to Canon. The old Sigma is in the past.

I mention the S50/1.4 in comparison to the 50/1.4 USM- but no, I'm talking about the 'new' Sigma. The 'old' Sigma largely didn't merit consideration unless you had a significant budget and the time and patience to get a 'good' one. Unfortunately, every 'Art' or 'Contemporary' or 'Sports' released so far has encountered some very vocal detractors. As I've said, I'd love to try them myself; but only the 35/1.4A is within my realm of consideration, as I don't own an APS-C camera anymore, and the 120-300/2.8 OS|S is far and wide out of my range and intention.

So it appears that the 'new' Sigma is quite a bit better, and is really committed to improving their product and their customers' experience, but they're not 'there' yet.

Oct 02, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Brea
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

johnctharp wrote:
I mention the S50/1.4 in comparison to the 50/1.4 USM- but no, I'm talking about the 'new' Sigma. The 'old' Sigma largely didn't merit consideration unless you had a significant budget and the time and patience to get a 'good' one. Unfortunately, every 'Art' or 'Contemporary' or 'Sports' released so far has encountered some very vocal detractors. As I've said, I'd love to try them myself; but only the 35/1.4A is within my realm of consideration, as I don't own an APS-C camera anymore, and the 120-300/2.8 OS|S is far and wide out of my range and intention.

So it appears
...Show more

And Canon isn't 'there' yet when it comes to megapixels... that doesn't mean it's bad. It's still a L worthy lens, just like the D800 to the 5D3.

Oct 02, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Joe Garner
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

I don't care which one is better. Canon, where's new 50?

Oct 02, 2013 at 11:38 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Two fast 35mm lenses reviewed at Photozone

Brea wrote:
And Canon isn't 'there' yet when it comes to megapixels... that doesn't mean it's bad. It's still a L worthy lens, just like the D800 to the 5D3.

If the evaluated copy can focus, of course. But if you want to talk about the D800- well, resolution-wise at least, Nikon could really use some new glass to match their high-resolution Sony sensor. It's (really!) a shame that most of the sharp glass on the Nikon mount is third-party. And it's not like Nikon users are immune to the very same issues encountered when using third-party lenses, either, based on my research. I specifically went digging to see if the 'failure rate' for the 35/1.4A was appreciably better on the dark side, but I found the same crap there too.

So, no single company really does everything exceedingly well, even though there isn't really anything stopping them. It's not like people are flocking away from Canon's lenses to Sigma's in droves, after all. A significant drop in sales is about the only thing that would Canon's attention.

Oct 02, 2013 at 11:46 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.