Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

Wayne Ek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

I've only been really interested in wildlife, bird and BIF photography for the past 3-years. I am currently shooting a EOS 50D with a EF 100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS lens. This is my only big lens. I just purchased a new (used) EOS 1D Mark IV and would like to purchase a larger fixed lens (300mm). Here are my questions:
1. Will a 300mm with a 2x extender be considered an all around lens.
2. Will that same combo work on the 50D, which will be my backup camera.
3. With the 1D can I use the 100-400 lens and an extender and get more reach or what will I be loosing.
Sorry for the length, but being new to all this you can get eye strain from trying to figure out what will or won't work.
Thanks,
Wayne

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:54 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

1st, before any advice, what 300mm are you thinking of getting and why 300 when reach is an issue, are you contemplating other uses for the shorter tele?

Oct 01, 2013 at 02:08 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

If you are truly interested in primarily shooting wildlife and birds (and have the means to own a 1D Mark IV and a 100-400L), then I would probably suggest a good used 500mm f/4 lens (rather than a 300mm lens) as a next step. You can keep your 100-400 to use as a complementary lens for closer (or bigger) subjects.

300mm is a focal length more suited to sports and photojournalism than wildlife. Canon makes two 300mm primes: the f/4L IS and the f/2.8L IS. The f/4L IS is affordable and is a good lens but the combination of crop bodies and extenders poses a challenge for it optically. And you will not be able to use autofocus at all with your 50D using a 2x combination at f/8 (nor will you much like the results). The 300 2.8 (any version) is a better choice, but it's expensive and if you shoot mostly wildlife you will be using extenders a lot, hence the recommendation to consider a 500 instead.

Also before you rush to buy an expensive prime, it's worth noting that many photographers here have gotten great results with the 100-400 all by itself coupled with a 7D or 1D Mark IV--Tony Markle (Imagemaster) comes immediately to mind. His work with birds using just this lens is outstanding.

Make sure to calibrate your 100-400 (and any lens) to your 1D Mark IV to ensure best focus and sharpness. Good luck.

Oct 01, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

Because the cost of good equipment is so high, everything I have is used. The first thing I noticed on purchasing used equipment is that you need to do a lot of looking to find what you think you need. Which is why this feed back is so helpful, as I can't afford to waste dollars on something I will never use or be disappointed in. I was focusing on a 300mm f/2.8 based on some articles I had read and cost, as I've seen that lens used for $2099. The best price I've seen for a used 500mm f/4L was much higher. Cost is a factor for me, as wildlife photography is still a hobby, abet one I really enjoy. Garyvot, thank you for the ideas. Now let me ask this. If I slow down with the pursuit of a prime and shoot the 100-400 on the Mark IV will using an extender (1.4 II) on that lens, if I feel I need more reach, still pose optical challenges? Thanks again for all and any help.
Wayne

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:56 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

I shot the 300 2.8 lens for several years when I first started....using the 2x....and even at times double stacking the 1.4 on as well.
It got me through until I bought a 400 2.8......and I am one that bucks the trend of "must have a 500" club.
To me, I shoot a variety of types of imagery...mostly motor sports. So the 400 gives me a great range of combinations.
400 straight...with the option of the sweetest BOKH around!!
+1.4 TC.....is a 560 reach at a F4.....sweet (slightly longer than a straight 500)
+2x TC....800 F 5.6.........awesome!!

Now....a 400 2.8 will run at least what a 500 costs or slightly more....but I love my options...especially the one about going "back" to a 400 range.

But my point on this is that if you got the 300 2.8....you could do the same
300 straight and lightweight to boot
+ 1.4 TC = 420
+ 2 TC = 600 a very usable range for wildlife.

And the MKIV you have will use it very well in all combinations!

The best advantage of this setup...is you have three lenses for the price of another TC...and the ability to downsize in just moments when and if needed.....and I have had that happen many times.

In doing a search on the forums...the biggest downfall on the 100-400 normally mentioned is that it's a glass in need of great light. Basically it suffers as you get into low light situations. I totally agree with using it as a backup for items that you can get by with in the closer range...and it will provide solid images...as long as you have solid light.

On the price you listed for a used 300....sounds like a "non IS" version....and again...this can be a great lens too.
My 400 is a non IS version..and since I'm normally shooting shutter speeds for birds in flight or fast action...the IS (to me) wasn't an issue when I bought it...and still isn't. BUT...it allows for getting one of Canon's finest cheaper.....just dont get one that is TOO old....then it may work against you for longevity.

Couple quick samples to show what a non IS version can do....and good luck on your decision

PS. Love the user name!!

© onesickpuppy 2013

Coming at you

© onesickpuppy 2013

Skimming along

© onesickpuppy 2013

Last light of the day

Oct 02, 2013 at 09:35 AM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

Nice captures and thanks for the ideas on lens.

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

onesickpuppy wrote:
Couple quick samples to show what a non IS version can do....and good luck on your decision

excellent pictures.

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

New (used) 1D Mark IV arrived yesterday from Adorama. Good news it looks in great shape, much better than I anticipated. Bad news, the battery pack is only at 47% and the charger they sent is a Nikon MH-22 (w/o a AC cord). Left a message with customer service immediately and hopefully on Monday we can get this corrected. Weather here in Minn. is to cold and wet for a good day of shooting any way. Still searching for a lens.
Again, thanks to all for the input.
Wayne

Oct 05, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

I use a 1D IV and for 6 years had a 300 f/2.8L IS which most of the time had converters attached. It is a great combo and I do miss the 300. (Sold it to help finance the 500.)

You should be very happy with a 300 f/2.8 if you can find a nice one.
Canon's 500mm f/4.5 is a lens to consider although maybe not so easy to find.

BTW I live in the Twin Cities.

Oct 05, 2013 at 01:36 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

I went a similar route as you have.

Went from a 50D to a 1dIIn, then to a 1dIII which I still use. Also owned the 400mm 5.6 prime then the 100-400 then went to a 300mm f/2.8 IS ver 1 then to a 500mm f/4 IS. I have the 500 for sale right now...probably to head back to the 300mm f/2.8 II to use with extenders and a newer 1.6 crop camera (which I don't have yet).
I really like to hike while I'm shooting vs. setting up a tripod and staying in one place. I can hike with the 500, but holding that thing on my shoulder with a tripod attached for a few hours is a bit of a bear. The 300 is much lighter. The 300mm f.2.8 IS II matched with the 2x extender III is pretty much the same as the 500mm f/4 IS ver. 1 with the 1.4 extender. So we'll see what happens. I'm pretty torn...the 500 hasn't sold and I'm not really that sad .

Oct 05, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

Do not believe all that say 400mm is not enough for birds and/or wildlife. And I certainly would not recommend anyone buy a 300 f2.8, 400 f2.8, or 500 f4, without trying one first. There is no point buying a lens that is too heavy and cumbersome to use.

Your Mk4 will AF with a 1.4x TC on a 400 f5.6 prime. Sure, the bare lens is only f5.6, but it is a lot lighter and cheaper.

For my age and strength, I have found the 400 DO to be the maximum weight and size that I want to lug around and shoot handheld.

First shot with 1DMk4 and 100-400.

Second shot with 1DX and 400 DO + 1.4x TC

Oct 05, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

Thanks all. Tony I really like that first shot. That little burst of sunlight on the foot grab's your eye.

Oct 05, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

Agape wrote:
New (used) 1D Mark IV arrived yesterday from Adorama. Good news it looks in great shape, much better than I anticipated. Bad news, the battery pack is only at 47% and the charger they sent is a Nikon MH-22 (w/o a AC cord). Left a message with customer service immediately and hopefully on Monday we can get this corrected. Weather here in Minn. is to cold and wet for a good day of shooting any way. Still searching for a lens.
Again, thanks to all for the input.
Wayne

So sorry, Wayne; Jorge from our used department will be in touch to sort this out asap.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
[email protected]

Oct 06, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New (used) camera, need a little or lot of advise.

Helen:
Not to worry. Vince G. already sent me an e-mail. Great customer service! Already ordered a spare battery pack.
Thanks,
Wayne

Oct 06, 2013 at 02:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.