Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I shoot for free...

hk_mtbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I shoot for free...

...I only charge you for the paperwork and BS/PIA-factor

Sorry I just had to rant...but this is sort of the way I feel some days.

I love photography.

I don't love the paperwork that is required.

And i know it is all part of it...but dang some clients make it a lot like work.

Thanks for listening!

JQ

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:18 PM
PeteT
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I shoot for free...

How much paperwork is there really? My major issue is keeping records for taxes, which is why I just collect receipts with scribbled notes as to what project a purchase was for and once a month I bring in a bookkeeper to organize it all.

Oct 06, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I shoot for free...

hk_mtbr wrote:
...I only charge you for the paperwork and BS/PIA-factor

Sorry I just had to rant...but this is sort of the way I feel some days.

I love photography.

I don't love the paperwork that is required.

And i know it is all part of it...but dang some clients make it a lot like work.

Thanks for listening!

JQ

Oct 06, 2013 at 07:19 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I shoot for free...

I've brought it up in the past, but I think there should be a section of this forum specifically for ranting.

Oct 07, 2013 at 01:53 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I shoot for free...

Paperwork A diary, some advertising, and keep all accounting details for the account. What else do you do?

Oct 07, 2013 at 02:59 PM
axe9
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I shoot for free...

I'm finding more and more nice little tools for managing all of the paperwork for my wife's business. I work a full time day-job but manage most of her bookings and contracts and whatnot, so I'm very reliant on technology. Good workflow, and the ability to keep everything (Contacts, leads, contracts, invoices, etc) in one place was key for me, and mobile access has helped a ton.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I shoot for free...

Sure, clients are often times a hassle, but you found a profession that you would do for free, but now you get paid for it. That's a good gig in my book!

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cineski
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I shoot for free...

The issue being hundreds of thousands are also willing to do it for free.

Deezie wrote:
Sure, clients are often times a hassle, but you found a profession that you would do for free, but now you get paid for it. That's a good gig in my book!

Nov 07, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I shoot for free...

cineski wrote:
The issue being hundreds of thousands are also willing to do it for free.

If people doing jobs for free are a threat to your business, it's time to make a change to your clients your work or your profession...
I have a friend who used to do pretty well shooting editorial for bmx bike mags, once digital caught on there were hundreds of people shooting for free. He realize it and left that segment to the freebs and cheapo clients...Redid his portfolio and now shoots other things. Made a change.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I shoot for free...

Tough if BMX is what you love though.

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:40 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I shoot for free...

when was the last time you walked into a brothel and found the pros there worked just for passion? in a nutshell, all commercial photogs are whores of industry and are hired to create image value ultimately linked to exchange value even though without any use value. I know this virtual reality of ours offers ecstasy to many but sadly it ain't offering much exuberance to those camera operators.

Nov 12, 2013 at 05:28 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I shoot for free...

All businesses require administrivia.
They also require salesmanship.

Those are two things that many people do not want to attend to.
That is why photography, cooking, gardening, fishing, and other fun things are mostly hobbies for people.

Nov 14, 2013 at 04:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I shoot for free...

markd61 wrote:
All businesses require administrivia.
They also require salesmanship.

Those are two things that many people do not want to attend to.
That is why photography, cooking, gardening, fishing, and other fun things are mostly hobbies for people.

BINGO !!!

90% business / 10% photography (pick numbers of your choosing if you like) ... which is why there are many awesome amateur (non-professional @ $$$/admin/people/sales/marketing) photographers with talent that rocks, while some lesser skilled in photography keep padding their bank account. Just because one is good at one talent doesn't make them good at business, without being good at business (marketing/sales/admin).

Manufacturing has folks that design the product, folks that produce the product, others that market and sell the product, and others that take care of the admin/legal and customer service. If you're in business for yourself, you get to do all of them ... not just produce the product. If you aren't willing to embrace (I didn't say you have to like it) all the things that make it tick well as integral to your business, then it's going to take its toll on your success.

Minimize and streamline the parts you don't like, or find a way to have them done by someone else ... but whether or not you like them, they still remain an integral aspect to putting all the pieces together. Know your weaknesses, know your strengths, but most businesses don't successfully run on 90% product / 10% business ... the just make it look like they do.

I like the concise concept that came from glort @ People / Product / Price (I'll add Paper to the plethora of pertinent "P's") ... noting the significance of order in which he placed them.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1210404/0?keyword=people,product,price#11574731

If you let people and paper bother you ... it can make for a long day in business.

Nov 14, 2013 at 02:03 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I shoot for free...

WOW. I apologize! I didn't mean to get a thread going and ditch it, but I hadn't checked this thread since I posted my rant. It really was just me venting...but I'm glad that it gave everyone a chance to discuss.

And I agree with RustyBug and much of the above...it was just a moment

Now back to Biz! Thanks again.

Joel

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:22 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password