Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hockey Night in Atlantic Canada

Myra J

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey Night in Atlantic Canada

As the new season starts, I find myself thinking about new/better ways to get some good shots. I'm including a sample of some shots taken last week with my Canon 1DIII, 70-200 lens at f/2.8, shutter for most 1/500 and usual ISO 3200. Still had to bump up the exposure a bit in post and tweak the levels. If anyone can advise on how to use my gear more effectively, or offer some tips on alternate types of shots/angle to watch for etc., I'd be interested in your ideas. I tend to watch the goalies for their reactions as the pucks nears their nets and have quite a few "wind up" shots of players taking a shot at net. I'm thinking that I should try a wider angle, but I really like getting as close to the actions as possible through the lens, and wide seems to make it all so far away.

947Z1617 web by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

947Z1589 copy by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

947Z1418 copy by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey Night in Atlantic Canada

From the corners is a good place to start. Along the crease line to the boards. You have the possibility of grabbing THAT wing's break away moments, the goal action, and in the slot if you're not tied dwon to the exclusive use of 1 lens at a time with like a 24-70.

You're post is running a little hot. Maybe not the exposure, but the 'whites'? Just a little too WOW bright for my post completion. But good start to the season!

Oct 01, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Myra J

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey Night in Atlantic Canada

Thanks for the feedback, John. I'll take your suggestions about hanging out in the corners a bit more than I do. Really useful to know that you're seeing whiter than white whites. On my monitor (think old... LG Studioworks 700S), they still look a little muddy hence the enhancements in post. I was toying with the idea of using my max of 6400ISO, but maybe I take a look and see how the photos look on other monitors.

You must shoot hockey, too? I just do it on a very local level for one main team, as a rule. Do you find you have to do much PP or are things pretty decent straight out of the camera? I've been shooting RAW, but may just go with jpeg and adjust in camera.

Oct 01, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey Night in Atlantic Canada

I shoot raw all the time. We have fluourescent lights in one rink and tungsten in another. The flicker due to the frequency of them makes WB a nightmare. Auto WB is good, but I tweak many of my photos. I guess it depends on the rink. Maybe try a X-rite color passport if your having problems with you white balance. That would work for a starting point anyways and a good idea if your shooting jpeg.

Nice shots!

Oct 02, 2013 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.