www.wbfarrell.com

Sep 30, 2013 at 06:12 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Way Down Low: Chicago Skyline

I like the POV
Color temp seems off.
I dont mind the starbursts from the lights but the sky is a mess! I cant tell what's happening there but I think it detracts significantly from an otherwise nice capture. Is this a merged image?
I find the sky color unappealing, although some may be from the artificial lights.

Scott

Sep 30, 2013 at 06:42 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Way Down Low: Chicago Skyline

Oh, BTW.
Do you know the album/song "Way Down Low"? Great stuff.

Scott

Sep 30, 2013 at 06:42 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Way Down Low: Chicago Skyline

I love the view of the city. That was one of my favorite spots to go when I lived there.

I think I would crop closer on the left side and top to cut out the tall apartments buildings on Roosevelt, and bring more focus to the skyline. The fence draws my eye straight to those apartments and not the magnificent skyline.

I'm not sure what to think of the foggy patches in the sky, or the lights. I know they often light up the top of the Sears tower, but the rest of lights seem overly blue.

Also, did you really get stars to show up? I barely saw any when I was there!

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Way Down Low: Chicago Skyline

Took a stab at a few tweaks. Mostly some USM for the skyline and some color tweaks to the sky/foreground and some blurring to the sky. Could use better detail work to account for the variable skyline light colors and would prefer to work from raw/sooc, but hopefully you get the gist at sky/foreground.

I'm not sure, but I'm wondering if that is veiling flare rearing its head in various areas.

As always, S&P to taste.

Edited on Oct 01, 2013 at 09:18 AM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2013 at 08:55 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Way Down Low: Chicago Skyline

Kent did a nice job on the color balance/temp issues
Scott

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Way Down Low: Chicago Skyline

Thanks Scott.

Although, I didn't get the wall anywhere close to what I wanted for it as the red channel was pretty close to toasty. I might look to reduce the luminance of the wall more as well. Imo, its tonal value competes with the skyline. So, depending on where and how strongly you want your viewer to look, it might warrant some adjustment.

Definitely a case of mixed lighting, so no single color or WB adjustment will be "correct" for the various components (i.e. the grass vs. the sky). In some instances the lights ARE the subject, while in other areas they are providing illumination ... decisions on how you want to present them may warrant processing them differently.

As always, S&P to taste.

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:28 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.