Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Girls Volleyball

Aqualung
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Girls Volleyball

Shot my first volleyball of the season the other night for the paper...used my 300 from the stands and the floor, but mostly used my 70-200.

Chris

2. Moved for a slightly cleaner background

Edited on Sep 30, 2013 at 05:13 PM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Girls Volleyball

a couple more...

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Girls Volleyball

Looks like a dungeon! Crappy lighting, red/orange floor... Perfect!

Really like #7!

Paul

Sep 30, 2013 at 06:30 PM
ELWOOD B
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Girls Volleyball

Yeah, I'm a fan of 7 also.

Sep 30, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Girls Volleyball

Thanks guys...had to cool these down considerably from that warm floor.

Chris

Sep 30, 2013 at 07:27 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Girls Volleyball

I'm a fan of the "14368 ISO" setting. Not 14,000 not 14,500, nope exactly 14368. .

Wow on 4 and 5 you get the ball wrippling the arms, what timing.

Just curious, would taking the speed down to 1/800 and shooting slightly under exposed lower the ISO? Seems I saw somewhere when shooting football at night to under expose my shots by between 1-2 stops. Would that help or would that create noise later when you lighten it up? Maybe it's a wash.

Sep 30, 2013 at 08:23 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Girls Volleyball

Since Paulthelefty did such a great job in critiquing a previous volleyball post (but is now taking the easy way out), I will try to give you the same quality of constructive critique from a volleyball perspective. Harsh, but well intended.

1. Looks like a jump serve but could be a back row hit. Good timing but uncertain action.
2. Almost the same. That is, no context (baseline, net, other players, etc.).
3. Much too late.
4. Great timing, icky background.
5. An awkward looking pass, not a flattering expression. A very well timed delete.
6. Nice timing but where is she?
7. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Lastly, if these are for sales, you can ignore everything that I said. But for pure volleyball aesthetics, only #7 works.

Larry

P.S. I hate shooting volleyball and wish I could do it as well as you.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Girls Volleyball

lhryshko wrote:
Since Paulthelefty did such a great job in critiquing a previous volleyball post (but is now taking the easy way out).

Um, I had a hot date

:-)

Paul

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Girls Volleyball

jspytek wrote:
Just curious, would taking the speed down to 1/800 and shooting slightly under exposed lower the ISO? Seems I saw somewhere when shooting football at night to under expose my shots by between 1-2 stops. Would that help or would that create noise later when you lighten it up? Maybe it's a wash.

Definitely not a wash... You never want to underexpose high ISO shots if you can avoid it. You'll get less noise from the higher ISO than you will from pulling up an underexposed shot in PP after the fact.

This only applies to "real" ISO settings, not the artificial H* settings (not sure what Nikon calls them). If you are having to go up to the extended ISO settings, then you may actually be able to do better with pulling up the exposure in PP. Depends on your camera and your processing skills

Jay

Oct 01, 2013 at 06:33 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Girls Volleyball

jspytek wrote:
I'm a fan of the "14368 ISO" setting. Not 14,000 not 14,500, nope exactly 14368. .

Wow on 4 and 5 you get the ball wrippling the arms, what timing.

Yeah, AutoISO can get pretty specific

It definitely would take it down...hmmm had not heard that underexpose advice, I do think it might show noise after in post. Ah, I see Jay also responded...

Chris

Oct 01, 2013 at 07:00 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Girls Volleyball

lhryshko wrote:
Since Paulthelefty did such a great job in critiquing a previous volleyball post (but is now taking the easy way out), I will try to give you the same quality of constructive critique from a volleyball perspective. Harsh, but well intended.

1. Looks like a jump serve but could be a back row hit. Good timing but uncertain action.
2. Almost the same. That is, no context (baseline, net, other players, etc.).
3. Much too late.
4. Great timing, icky background.
5. An awkward looking pass, not a flattering expression. A very well timed delete.
6. Nice timing but where is she?
7. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Lastly,
...Show more

Larry, appreciate the harsh C&C, always helps the learning curve, this is not a sport I shoot very often.

cheers,

Chris

Oct 01, 2013 at 07:01 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.